HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

truck started then died - will not start again

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 03:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
truck started then died - will not start again

Its been wickedly cold here. I started my truck this morning after having the block heater on it for five hours. It fired right up ran for a while then died. I tried cranking again and saw that the fuel pumps were not working. Bumped them a couple of times and they eventually started pumping normal pressure again. Filled up the filter (using the fuel pumps) and tried to start the truck, cranking but will not fire. The fuel is winter blend from MFA, the same as we use in all of our work trucks which fire up fine. I have Power Service in there as well which says it is anti-gelling. I also put some manner of Emergency gel stuff after it died this morning. I plugged in the block heater over the rest of the morning, went home at lunch, no firing still, I DO have adequate fuel -pressure through (12psi+/-). My brother has been messing around with it this afternoon, physically heated up the underside of the hood, the fuel flow is fine, fuel is even slightly warm.

Anybody have some suggestions? I've got to get this thing running, tomorrow is going to be a record cold temp here and I need the truck.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:27 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Pop a few injector lines loose at the head, then crank the engine to bleed them. Tighten them up and see what happens. Throw a battery charger on it for a while too, you'll need all the charge you can when it's that cold.