HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

transfer case problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transfer case problem?

We have a bizarre problem. Our 1995, Dodge, 3/4 ton, 4X4, diesel jumpes out of 2 and 4 Hi. It usually does it in 4th or 5th gear and when it jumps out, it's like the gear disappears. There is nothing in those positions when I work the lever. The transfer case goes to neutral and kickes everything out. I can stop, put it in 4 low and drive it through all the gears. Or I can put it in 4 low, back up about a 100 feet and 2/4 hi reappears and I can put it back in gear and go. Until I get back in high gear on the transmission, then it kicks out again.

We have had three professionals into the transfer case and nobody can find anything wrong with it. We replaced the shifting fork and the sliding gear (there was a bit of wear on it, but not enough to be a problem), but that didn't change a thing. The wear pattern on the sliding gear did not include the entire gear surface, but only about half of it.

Is there any way a problem in the transmission could be putting pressure on the planetary gear and pushing it out or something? How can I tell if there's something wrong with the planetary gear? Is there something else that could be causing this?

Thanks,

CSAllen
Old 01-30-2006, 08:31 AM
Muted User

have you recently put a body lift , susp lift or new carpet on the truck? check you linkage maybe it came loose and moved?
Old 01-30-2006, 10:25 AM

wear pattern on only 1/2 sliding gear?. I would think it has not been fulley engageing and has worn a bevel causing it to slide out.
Clark
Old 01-30-2006, 06:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think on teardown you'll find the shift fork very worn.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:36 PM

transfer case problem?

I replaced the worn sliding gear (it was only a tiny bit worn.) and the shifting fork (which had no obvious wear at all). But I thought maybe it was tweaked a bit or something. That did not fix the problem.

No, I have not installed a lift kit, carpet, or anything else in it. It's just factory. However, I was using it for farm work and was crossing a wash with it on a regular basis. There is a trail across it and it's not rough, or anything, and we never hit it fast, but prehaps something came loose or shifted. Motor mounts are tight, transmission bolts are tight, no decernable damage to the driveline or frame. No unusual noises, whines, or vibrations. What else would I look for?

Yet another mechanic has been into it and can't find anything wrong with it. Does anybody know how to check a planitary gear?