HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Tranny, Wont shift into any gear!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny, Wont shift into any gear!

Ok, so here's my story. Last night I was driving down the road. No problems no signs of anything previous this incident. I was driving down the road and my truck did the 1st to 2nd shift, but when it went to make the 2nd to 3rd shift it just wound up, like tached out, so i let off the peddle and pulled into a drive-way. I was in the driveway and moved the shifter to reverse...NOTHING... so i moved the shifter back into drive and of course nothing! So i put it in park and called AAA. Needless to say i got home by means of a rollback. So i got home and after being p.o'd i went out started the truck and put into gear. It went into 1st and then went into reverse, so i drove it down the road and it still wouldnt make the 2nd to 3rd shift......so i turned around and went back home and when i got home it was acting funny again and wouldnt go into any gear. What would cause this? I need help ASAP it's my daily driver!
Old 01-11-2008, 10:29 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Mine stopped shifting into 2nd and it had a broken band. Gotta open it to fix that.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:10 PM

If that's what it was, how much did that run you?
Old 01-11-2008, 04:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What year is the truck? Did you check the fluid level?
Old 01-11-2008, 04:24 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Could also be the Governer Pressure Sensor or the Solinoid/Switch. But I'd put money on one of the bands being broken.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:46 PM

hi
well after you got home and tried it you said yiu had 1st and rev so that means your rear band is not broken !

you said it would not shift from 2nd to 3 rd , in order to be in second you have to apply front band so your front band is also working !

what is your fluid level when checked in N sitting level engine running ?

how long has it been from last filter /fluid change ? atf+4 only !

how old is the tps ?

abad seal in direct drum would cause a loss of 3rd .

fill out seg so you can get help easier !
Old 01-12-2008, 12:22 PM

The fluid level is fine. That was the first thing i did. The fluid is still red and didnt smell burnt and it didnt have any metal shavings in it either. Someone i talked to sai it also might e the cluth plates or something like that?
Not sure how old the tps is.
Truck is a 95 12valve automatic 4x4.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:28 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
More than likely its gonna be a pump problem or a seal problem. It sounds like when it gets hot , you are losing hydraulic pressure. Probably gonna have to come out either way.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:11 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Originally Posted by shorte_33
The fluid level is fine. That was the first thing i did. The fluid is still red and didnt smell burnt and it didnt have any metal shavings in it either. Someone i talked to sai it also might e the cluth plates or something like that?
Not sure how old the tps is.
Truck is a 95 12valve automatic 4x4.
It's not your clutch plates. If it were, the fuild would be burnt or at the very least very dirty from the clutch material.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:04 PM

The local shops want $500 just to remove the freaking transmission to look at it! That's insane. .......(ponders over how i wish i had my own shop.... ) How hard is it to pull the tranny and re-install it? Never done it before on one of these trucks....
Old 01-14-2008, 03:03 PM

$500 for just pulling it??? WOW. The local shops around here qouted me $400 to $500 for pulling and replacing. BUt I decided to save the coinage and paid $40 to Rebel Rents for a tranny jack and replaced it myself this weekend. Well, me and my bro-in-law.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:07 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Just to double check....

You are checking the fluid level with the truck on level ground, engine running, with the trans in Neutural.....right?

Shoot me if this sounds rediculious.....but I've also made mistakes before too.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Shovelhead
Just to double check....

You are checking the fluid level with the truck on level ground, engine running, with the trans in Neutural.....right?

Shoot me if this sounds rediculious.....but I've also made mistakes before too.
No need to shoot you. It's a really good question. A lot people just don't know. They check it just like checking engine oil level.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:28 PM

Way to much consveration without success.
1. Fluid level is ok or reasonablly close.
2. It happened going down road. Lost upshifts and all gears.
3. Fluid is not burned (still red) or obvious metal (would have to analyze)
4. No problems had been noted previouslly.
5. Vehicle is a 95 Dodge automatic.
If the above is correct.
You have lost line pressure.
It might go forward or reverse ocassionally.
A simple test for pressure regulator stuck open. Rev engine in neutral to as high as you have ever reved. Let throttle off quickly. Repeat 4 or five times.
Shift into drive or reverse normally. It might go.
What you are doing. By reving engine in neutral you increase oil flow past a stuck open(?) regulator valve. Perhaps moving it from stuck position to futher open. By letting throttle off quickly, you are decreasing oil flow quickly and perhaps regulator valve will pop closed and start working and generating line pressure and move vehicle.
If this does not work. 1. A badly stuck valve in valve body could still be cause. 2. The drive lugs on oil pump could have sheared and lost oil flow. 3. The splines on input could have sheared. 4. In any case it is gonna have to come out for inspection.
Sorry for lengthly write up.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:02 PM

Yes i checked on level ground, in neutral, engine running. Did that on the side of the road.... It will shift into gear but only first, and hesitates moves a couple feet and loses gear again, hesitates takes off again and loses it again. Put it in reverse does the same thing, except it shakes the truck really really bad when doing it? I know it's going to have to come out, but i'd like to know where to begin when it comes out...

Quick Reply: Tranny, Wont shift into any gear!