HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Still cant pull anything...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still cant pull anything...

My truck still wont pull worth a ****, and i have had it scanned and it showed no codes....It runs great untill i put a trailer on. I hooked up and 18ft bumperpull trailer, with an 8300lb skid steer on it...going up hills on a highway 40mph was all i could get to..and that was with it floored...and if i held it to the floor for very long the truck would start shaking real bad.....i normaly get 16.7 mpg on these same roads...15.1 was my overall...and the best i could do up hill at 40 was 5.....i cannot figure this out..and every shop i talk to just wants to charge me 50 more dollars to scan it..i have had it scanned and it had no codes??? can anyone please help me??? or do i need to trade it for a ford????
Old 12-30-2006, 06:46 PM

sorry i forgot....

sorry i forgot....2001 cummins 4x4 auto....3inch straight exhuast...aem filter kit...and edge ez...
Old 12-30-2006, 06:53 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Is the tranny still stock? The shudder sounds like the TC is dying.

When not towing, how does the tranny feel? Is the lockup solid or real slushy?

When was the last time the tranny was serviced?

Ed
Old 12-30-2006, 08:07 PM

Is it revving up and just not speeding up, or not revving?
Hows the fuel pressure?
Old 12-30-2006, 08:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have the lift pump fuel pressure checked. Is it possible the trailer brakes are dragging?
Old 12-30-2006, 08:52 PM

When not towing the tranny feels great to me..it hasnt been serviced for probably a year i guess...i havent done it cause it seems to work just fine...and when i had it scanned the guy drove it with an empty 16ft enclosed trailer and thought everything seemed normal...with a scanner on while driving.....

The trailer i pull with the skidsteer doesnt have the trailer brakes hooked up on it...i can pull the same rig with my bosses stock ford and u can notice its there...but u can atleast get around...

I dont have any gauges on it yet so im not sure about fuel pressure...it does put out sum black smoke sumtimes..so wouldnt that mean it is getting fuel..???

thanks for the quick replys..this just has me really confused and mad...i love the truck, it looks and sounds great and empty it runs like it would be a pulling machine..but its not...kinda makes me wish i just had my halfton chevy back they way its acting.. i would love to get this problem fixed, cause i hate being outpulled by stock fords....and i would like to get on with my auto-to-standard swap...but im scared to spend anymore money on it right now till i found out what the problem is...thanks again... - matt
Old 12-30-2006, 11:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would vote for the transmission slippage. I had that on a car, and the best way to tell was, uphill and under load, to accelerate even more. You can hear the engine RPM go up, while the speed does not increase. Dos yours do this?
I just can't imagine the truck not being able to do it otherwise.
Then, of course, you are saying "a hill". Hear near Boulder, CO there are "hills" up which I think nothing could pull that trailer faster than 25 mph...
-P
Old 12-30-2006, 11:27 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You also might want to check your hoses from the turbo to the intercooler and the intercooler to the intake. A boost leak under a load would cause low power also. Make sure there are no cuts and the hose clamps are tight.

Just a thought.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:26 AM

I will check those hoses and see what i can find..before it starts shaking the motor seems to rev up just fine...although the rpm guage isnt going way up like what the motor sounds......that was my first thought was the tranny...which im planning on replacing with a manual anyways... but since the motor is reving way up like it is..but the rpms isnt jumping....makes me unsure....ill check the hoses for leaks tomorrow and check back...thanks again guys..
Old 12-31-2006, 01:27 AM

if it was the tranny...if i were to replace the filter and oil would it make enough of a difference to where i would know if that was the problem or not????
Old 12-31-2006, 01:50 AM

Know an owner of same truck same problem "no power". Turned out it was boost sensor that tells computer amount of turbo boost before it will allow more fuel (as dialed in by your right foot). This is to prevent black smoke but truck feels like a slug towing.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would a stuck open wastegate make it run poor too?
Old 12-31-2006, 12:48 PM

I got the truck in the shop right now, letting it heat up in there then im going to see if i can find any leaks or anything...is there any tricks as far as like spraying soapy water on the tubes from the turbo and intake or anything to find air leaks? or just visually look???

where would i find this "boost sensor"? is that sumthing that can be tested or do i just get a new one and replace it?? if so any idea on how much that is??

that sounds just like mine...it runs great but a major slug under a load...like trying to pull a huge camper with a 200,000 mile halfton chevy or sumthing...
Old 12-31-2006, 01:53 PM

Try this link. http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/mt_2_fe...l_sys_comp.htm

The sensor is called MAP for Manifold Absolute Pressure. Also look at this link.
http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/mt_2_fe...leshooting.htm

Make sure your intercooler has no "stone holes" were boost air can leak.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:31 PM

Thanks for those links...i will check them out....I checked all the hoses from the turbo and intercooler...didnt find any cracks or air leaks...

Quick Reply: Still cant pull anything...