HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

She plum froze up.......

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 02:03 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Are you sure your grid heaters are working? After it fired up did you notice if the voltmeter fluctuated a lot?
Old 01-05-2004, 02:04 PM
Banned

Location: Newman Lake, WA (But my home is deep in the heart of Texas!)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I do believe everything, grid heaters included are o.k........it's just that the truck sat there for 48 hours at sub-zero temps. Believe me, the truck was frozen.........doors stuck shut....breath freezing as it hit the dash and wheel etc. I think, no I know, that if you are at -28 degrees the grid heaters may heat the air but at soon as you crank it and -28 degree air comes in the diesel won't combust......especially if the whole truck, engine included is at that temp.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:02 PM
Banned

I am just here to tell ya it will crank up ez if everthing is working proper..........from what you describe I am going with everyone else I do not think your grid is working right.
Mine was starting up over in N Dakota and Min. and a few other places colder then here.....Not all motels had a place I could plug in.
I finally got to the pt of opening the window in my room and making sure I did not have to cause unnessary wear to the little beast by sneaking the extention cord inside.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:16 PM

Ah glad to hear you got it running, Tom. Now you need to add your favorite additive to keep it from gelling...if that's what happened. I'd tend to agree with the previous post on the grid heaters possibly being on the fritz. Just tuen on the headlights and look for them dimming and brightening. Also keep an eye on the voltmeter too. Cycling grids will pull it down deeply. Another thing you might want to check out is the fuel heater. I believe it's located right on the fuel filter assembly. For comparison, my 02 starts fine after being left over the weekend in -10 temps.

Tom
Old 01-05-2004, 06:16 PM

I don't think you had any fuel gelling... the few times I've had that happen, I had to change the fuel filter to get it to start. The fuel gelled in the filter and completely blocked it.
Greg
Old 01-05-2004, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by tanderson2002us
Yes, I do believe everything, grid heaters included are o.k........it's just that the truck sat there for 48 hours at sub-zero temps. Believe me, the truck was frozen.........doors stuck shut....breath freezing as it hit the dash and wheel etc. I think, no I know, that if you are at -28 degrees the grid heaters may heat the air but at soon as you crank it and -28 degree air comes in the diesel won't combust......especially if the whole truck, engine included is at that temp.
Tom,

If plugged in, these trucks will start up to -40. By the "feels like" temp you mentioned, I assume you are talking about wind chill....the wind chill wont change the temp your truck feels. If its -18 F its minus -18F, that "feels like" temp isnt a factor.

Id have to go with everyone else....check your grid heaters, batteries and use a good quality antigel/fuel conditioner just to be safe.

One other thing I thought Id mention in case you didnt already know. Be careful with leaving your window open in the winter - its actually possible to burst or freeze water pipes. This is a real mess when that happens, and in most cases, you are responsible for the repair.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I figured about an hour would fire it up, I've done that before. It's better for about 2 to 3 hours but these things are incredible when it comes to starting. Had that been that old Mack I use to drive, you would have had to build a fire under the crank case.

The new heater I just put in my sons truck is a 750 watt element and it is only heating about five gallons of coolant so it shouldn't take long even considering heat transfer into the metal.

You could get a timer and plug the cord into the timer to come on about three hours or so before you leave. That is much better on sliding metal parts also when you add a little heat. The little juice that heater consumes will pay off in the long run. I don't worry about the electric bill, if it gets to 25 or so, I plug it in and let her eat all night.

Just be careful using that much cord. If it is heavy enough, the 650 or 750 watts should not be an issue. You may get a little voltage drop but not enough to damage the heater or anything. They are pretty much a dead short anyway.

Glad you got her going. Good luck.

PS, you may want to consider some cold fronts if you're going to be there a while. Just a thought.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:46 PM
Banned

O.k. guys…I was once chastised by Mexstan for complaining about the cold in Spokane but let me tell you amigos…….-18 to -28 is COLD no matter where yer from…..especially south Tejas! The grid heaters are working fine……cycling them dims my headlights more than a kick from that punch 800 behind the seat. I really think that it was not a fuel gelling or pre-heat problemo…..just a frozen truck!!!!! All day she fired right up. I just neglected her for two days….did not plug in….then tried to get her out of bed at 6 am on a COLD MORNIN’!!!! How many women do you know would wake up with “A Mornin’ Smile” under those conditions……..gonna plug in at 4:00 am tomorrow….let’s call it, “Breakfast In Bed”…….we will see how she does…..More snow and more cold coming to Spokane…..Man I wish I was in Texas!
Old 01-05-2004, 09:50 PM

Originally posted by tanderson2002us
Man I wish I was in Texas!
Me Too......love it down there....

Only 1 problem - theres Texans down there....

KIDDING !!!!
Old 01-05-2004, 09:57 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Dr. Evil
Me Too......love it down there....

Only 1 problem - theres Texans down there....

KIDDING !!!!
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!

You know what happens when Mr. Bigglesworth gets upset!!!!!
Old 01-05-2004, 10:04 PM

Actually, my brother used to live down there and some of the nicest, most genuine and down to earth (and crazy) people Ive ever met hail from Texas....
Old 01-05-2004, 10:08 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Dr. Evil
Actually, my brother used to live down there and some of the nicest, most genuine and down to earth people Ive ever met hail from Texas....
SILENCE!!!!!!!!

LOOK WHAT YOU DID TO MR. BIGGLESWORTH!!!!!!!!!!!

Just Kiddin' Mr. Evil..........WHOOPS..........thats DR. Evil
Old 01-05-2004, 10:10 PM

Minime....quite humping the "Laser"......

Glad you got your truck running.....
Old 01-05-2004, 10:21 PM
Banned

I better log off b' for I get in trouble again..........

Quote from Mexstan......"The winters in Spokane are nothing"............I bet Mexstan is warm and cozy down in Mexico...probably sipping magaritas on the beach some where ........

I will update you guy's in the morning...it is -17 now.....should be a toasty -20 by morning..........

Thanx again for all the replies!

Adios!
Old 01-06-2004, 05:56 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[i]How many women do you know would wake up with “A Mornin’ Smile” under those conditions
Don't even get that one started on here...........

Quick Reply: She plum froze up.......