HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

She plum froze up.......

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 08:43 AM
Banned

Location: Newman Lake, WA (But my home is deep in the heart of Texas!)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
She plum froze up.......

Well, I guess that's what I get for not being able to plug in since I live on the 4th floor of an apt. complex.

Maybe somebody can help.........

The temp. outside is about -16. I did not drive my truck yesterday so it has not warmed up since Saturday. I went down to go to work and cycled the grid heaters 2x. It turned over sluggishly but would not fire up. I waited a few seconds, cycled the heaters again 2x, cranked over a little better but still would not start. I have not used additives to keep the fuel from congealing so I guess that must be it. Any suggestions on getting it to start? I don't want to run the batteries down or hurt anything.

Any advice is appreciated.

Tom
Old 01-05-2004, 09:03 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
That sucks. Never knew it got that cold in your neck of the woods. What grade of oil do you have in the engine? Standard or synthetic?
Old 01-05-2004, 09:08 AM
Banned

Hey Stan, thanks for the reply. Right now I am just running what I believe is 10W-30. Had Dodge change it last time and found out after the change that the "special" did not include semi-synthetic. I went down again just now and it will crank like there is no tommorrow but wont fire up....after 2x on the grid heater. I hated the sound so I said that's enough and came back up. It sounds like a fuel problem....it's turning over just not starting. Can I hurt the engine by trying like that? I only crank the starter for about 5 seconds. Can't afford to miss work OR put her in the shop.

Tom
Old 01-05-2004, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would just suggest talking to some neighboors to see if they would let you run a cord and plug it in for several hours as my first option. If the fuel is gelled, this won't help but it may save you an expensive tow bill.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:13 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

As it is cranking over does it sound like it is trying to fire at all? In other words, does the starter momentarily speed up and then slow down?
BTW, hope you had your anti-freeze checked before winter and that it is good for those temps and lower.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:32 AM
Banned

thats now how fual freezes up...you have a to slow and to cold crank problem..do not cause your self all that extra work of scewing with the fual.
what ya need is a GOOD jump end real hot air dwn the intake, heat gun? heat between crank cycles .I doubt the oil vis. will make any differance.
yes plug it in 3 hrs b4 and it will start up.
Also you might check your batts. because it should be cranking at all most normal speed (sound the same) so....either batts .starters or cables all show thir week pts after the temp. drops out side.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:04 AM
Banned

Thanks again for all the replies......I managed to get a 100' extension cord out the window and down to the truck. Gonna let it heat for 1 hr. then try again. This is the coldest it has been since moving here so I guess you live and you learn.

Tom
Old 01-05-2004, 10:06 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My first thought would be the batteries. The fuel in Spokane should be winterized down to at least -25°, that should rule out gelling.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:08 AM

As t-549 said, a good dose of lots of real hot air down the throat may help. This is a case where a Herman Nelson would get you going in 5 minutes. But if you can get power for a heat gun you can also get power to plug it in. Remember, a really long extension cord will drop some voltage so you may have to compensate by giving it a little more heating time. Can you do this one time with a neighbor? Maybe offer to give them $10 or so for the power consumed. Then after you get it going stick some winter additive in the fuel tank.
I too wondered about the batteries. They should be able to spin it over even if it is cold. Once you get it going again get the batteries individually load checked. One could be getting lazy.
Thump, I disagree with you about the oil viscosity. It has been my experience that non synthetic oil at low temps will congeal to the point that the starter battles to turn the engine over properly. A semi-synthetic or full synthetic oil makes a difference in cranking speed in really low temperatures.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:17 AM
Banned

I think it takes 3 hrs for the AC heater to gring it up to minimum.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:30 PM

At those temps, 1 hour won't do squat. You're going to need 3-4 hours before the block starts to warm up. Save your battery reserve, and give it time.....

A heating pad around the fuel filter cannister would help too.

Tom
Old 01-05-2004, 12:49 PM

mine gets hard to start when its cold out
i always give it a little pedal when im starting it cold and hold it for a little till it stops running rough
Old 01-05-2004, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, what's the latest?
Old 01-05-2004, 01:55 PM
Banned

I just want to say thanks again for all the replies.........here is what happened:

1. After only 45 minutes of juice from a 100' cord out my 4th story window she cranked up. Before she would turn over but that dern diesel just would not combust. So I am ruling out battery, starter, oil visc. etc. because it turned over like a champ.

2. After starting she lugged for about 5 minutes and smoked (white) like you would not believe. Even with the idle at about 1100 rpm.

3. The "feels like" temp. was about -28 in some places this morning.

4. I did not drive the truck since Saturday.

I think that all of these factors contributed so in the morning when I get up at 4am I am plugging up again for 2hrs minimal. I have a detached garage but guess what....the CTD won't begin to fit. Oh, yeah.....I am from Texas so like I said, you live and you learn.

Thanks again,
Tom
Old 01-05-2004, 01:58 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Glad to hear you finally got 'er lit-off.
Plugging in for a minimum of 3 hours before trying to fire 'er up in those kinda temps should help a great deal.

Quick Reply: She plum froze up.......