HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Serious vibration in drivetrain

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Serious vibration in drivetrain

I am experiencing some serious vibrations in my driveline. I have a 2003 RAM 3500 4x4 CTD with 6/speed. I have a definite squeak when I take off at low rpm's and as the RPM's increase a vibration is felt throughout the whole truck. When I go to slow down it doesn't matter if the clutch is pressed in or out or what gear i'm in, or if the tranny is in neutral the whole truck shutters uncontrollably. I crawled underneath and suspected the centering bearing for the driveshaft due to some cracks in the rubber grommet surrounding the bearing. I replaced the bearing and went for a test drive and that didn't seem to do anything. I think it could be in the rear diffrential; by the way the vibration seem's to be concentrated in the rear of the truck. I know by what I described that no one here probably can fully understand the problem without actually seeing and feeling what I'm talking about but I was just trying some diffrent avenues before I give up and take it to the shop. Any Idea's?
Old 07-24-2005, 01:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In my exp when you take off and you get the squeek,squeek as your taking off, its always been the U joints. It starts slow then speeds up as the truck gets going then dissapears cause its going to fast. Park it somewhere flat and put it in neutral with the wheels chocked, make sure there is 0 bind on the drive line and give it some good side to side movement, particulary at the rear diff.
Let us know what you find.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:58 PM

Iam Having Very Similar Vibration Problems. I Have a 2004.5 3500 Automatic 4x4, 4 Door Short Box with The Diesel. When I turn my Tires and Take off the Truck Vibrates Until you Reach about 10 mile an Hour or Untill you Turn your Tires Straight. It Vibrates on the Highway at About 55 Miles Weather im in Over Drive or Not. I Replaced the U Joints in the Axles on Both Sides in the Front, Had the Tires Rotated and Balanced. Still Does it, But After Tire Rotation the Truck Vibrates on the Highway Now Worse than Before.....All U Joints in the Drive Shafts Look OK But Havent Taken Any out to See if There Seized....Now What...
Old 07-26-2005, 06:16 PM
RCW

Lower the carrier for the center driveline bearing about 3/16 of an inch. That will lessen the angle on the rear universal joint, and eliminate the vibration. It is a known issue, and there may be a TSB, and there is a Customer Service Advisory on this issue for sure.