HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

rotor and stud damage

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rotor and stud damage

lugs became loose damaged rotor broke four studs and damged other four studs. I do have two individuals who have worked extensively on other brand autos, but not on dodge. One changed a diesel engine for me some time ago, the other did extensive work on my ford diesel. Reading the rotor posts changing a rotor is not a simple task. Taking it to the shop would cost $440 to change one rotor and $1080 for both. They say when you change one both should be changed. (???) As my name implies I am a novice. (I do know the difference between and engine and a rotor.) My friends are experienced on other vehicles.

Should both rotors be replaced?

I have a 02, Diesel, quad cab 2500
What size is the axel nut on these vehicles? Is a socket wrench required, or can a lug wrench be used? (I read somplace where a socket wrench must be used)
What else besides the axel nut has to be removed (brake has already been removed)?
Is a press necessary to secure studs in rotor, or will a hammer do.?

Anyone know anyplace I can purchase studs (front driver side) for less than $11.95. They only have five of these in the whole city of Fairbanks.

and finally I am of the thought that someone messed with my vehicle. That tire was changed almost a year ago, and not touched since that time, anyone ever have problems with lugs coming loose after such a long period of time, or is somthing wrong with the system? I am told that loose lugs generally cause problems very quickly. Rim is also shot.

Any help would be appreciated before I shoot the works and send to the shop instead.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:08 PM

Is it a 4WD? On my 2000 changing rotors is a snap. Lugs generally don't come loose on their own, maybe somebody helped them along a little. The studs aren't bad either, press out, press in. Try rockauto.com for the studs.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Every rotor I've ever purchased (not for a Dodge truck yet) comes with the studs in them. There are always exceptions though.

If the other rotor is straight/true then you don't need to replace it.

You should buy new bearings if you buy a new rotor.

I've put studs in before with a hammer. Not sure if that's proper but it worked for me.

Lug nuts usually don't come loose on their own. Did you check your other 3 wheels?
Old 05-30-2006, 07:42 PM

For the '02, the rotors don't have the studs on them.
Here is a pic that looks like the Brembos I put on mine (the real ones are bigger and have an 8 bolt pattern). Cost to have 2 rotors shipped to my door was about $135!! Installation is simple. Not sure about how to have the studs replaced, but they can't be that bad. $450-1000 seems very excessive to me.

~Rob
Old 05-30-2006, 08:08 PM
RCW

You must have a 4X4, as the 2WD studs are a no-brainer and very easy to knock out with a punch.

On the 4X4 you have to pull your hub ends. That is accomplished by pulling the axle nut a then the four hub to knuckle bolts from the back of the steering knuckle. Take your time and liberally apply a good penetrating oil on the hub shaft after you pull the pin and nut.

Here is the step where the shops make their money! Once you have broken the studs off, there is no way to use an axle press to push the hub end off the axle. So, you have to do it the hard way. When you get everything loose and ready to pull the front hub assembly off the axle shaft, it will most likely be stuck with rust on the internal drive splines. I soak them with a top flight penetrating oil for a couple days, then use a pry bar through the front axle universal yoke and chain the axle in so it cannot pull out and damage the axle seals. Then you can use a very large chain around the hub assembly, and let it hang like a jump rope, then pop it as hard as you can. It will take a few times, but the assembly will slide off.

Once it is off, the studs can be pressed out with a press, or if you are stout you can knock them out with a single jack and a decent flat faced punch.

Given the year of your truck, I would figure on replacing the front wheel bearing packs while I had it off.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:39 PM

I thought on the 02 they have the rotors that don't have the studs pressed in, the studs are pressed into the hub and the rotor just slides right over the studs while the caliper is off. I know on earlier models the hubs have to come off but I thought 02 was just slide the old off and the new on.... someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

Either way both rotors must be replaced at the same time. Good Luck