HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Rotor removal for Inner Axle replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rotor removal for Inner Axle replacement

Hey All, Need help asap.

I'm trying to replace my inner axle on my 97 2500 4x4, and I can't get the rotor off to expose the hub.

Does the rotor come off with the hub and bearing as an assembly???

Mine rotor looks so different from all the other prior posts I've been searching.

Before I start wailing on it too hard with a block of wood and BFH, I need to know if this rotor comes off the same as all the others that I see in the past threads? I've been smacking it for about 10 minutes now.

I've loosened the axle nut, but still have it snugged up. Used plenty of PB Blaster. Have not loosened the 4 bolts on the backside of the hub.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Rotor removal for Inner Axle replacement-dodgeramrotor.jpg   Rotor removal for Inner Axle replacement-raminnershaft.jpg  
Old 01-29-2011, 02:15 PM

Nevermind....

That's odd. When I loosened the 4 bolts on the back of the hub...the hub loosened right up.

Took the 4 bolts off and with out any effort at all, the rotor inner hub slipped right out as one piece.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dwayne N
Does the rotor come off with the hub and bearing as an assembly???

I've loosened the axle nut, but still have it snugged up. Have not loosened the 4 bolts on the backside of the hub.
Yes, the rotor is pressed onto the hub of the unit bearing with the lug studs. It will come off as a unit.
You'll need to remove the large hub nut (you could leave it on and remove the entire rotor/bearing/axle asembly, but since you are replacing the axleshaft, it'll be easier to remove the nut).
You'll also need to remove the four bolts on the back of the knuckle.....these retain the unit bearing in the knuckle. If you have trouble removing the unit bearing/rotor, do a search (on here or on Google) for "power steering press". You'll find about 75 posts and/or articles on the procedure.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by mrclean
Yes, the rotor is pressed onto the hub of the unit bearing with the lug studs. It will come off as a unit.
You'll need to remove the large hub nut (you could leave it on and remove the entire rotor/bearing/axle asembly, but since you are replacing the axleshaft, it'll be easier to remove the nut).
You'll also need to remove the four bolts on the back of the knuckle.....these retain the unit bearing in the knuckle. If you have trouble removing the unit bearing/rotor, do a search (on here or on Google) for "power steering press". You'll find about 75 posts and/or articles on the procedure.
x2. You pull the rotor and unit bearing as a whole, then once off, you take a brass drift (or block of wood, in my case), and carefully drive the studs out. Then the rotor and bearing unit will come apart.
When I replaced my bearing units, they came with new studs.