HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

replace injectors....and it smokes, black

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 09:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
replace injectors....and it smokes, black

I detuned my truck...I had 100 hp injectors and a edge box, i removed them both went back to stock injectors, no box and now if i just easily push the throttle it will pour the black smoke, i rechecked torque on all injectors and tubes.
i installed new copper washers, and the orings on both the injectors and the tubes.....I cant figure this out....please help
Old 05-28-2010, 09:46 PM
DTR Mom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dial down the fuel supply...black is too much fuel, simply put.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Justwannabeme
dial down the fuel supply...black is too much fuel, simply put.
How....It is all back to stock ....Injectors are stock, the edge box is removed.
I have more black smoke now than i did before.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:54 PM

You could also have a boost problem. You need air to counteract that fuel and make power.. Maybe a MAP sensor is unplugged?
Old 05-29-2010, 06:40 AM

heres a question, the copper washers that i installed on the tips, they pressed on to the tip rather tight, could this caused a problem with the tips.
I got the copper washers from cummins per my serial no.
Now i found out that the remaned injector are from an 04 truck, could that make a difference going in to an 03. they tell me they are exactly the same, can anybody tell me.
need to get this fixed please somebody help me.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:13 AM

check your intercooler boots. One could be loose or have a cut.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:24 AM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by gofastman
... Now i found out that the remaned injector are from an 04 truck, could that make a difference going in to an 03.
My rememberer isn't as good as it used to be, but I think I remember the '04.5 injector being very different than an '03, but I don't remember about the '04. Someone will chime in...
Old 05-29-2010, 12:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gofastman
heres a question, the copper washers that i installed on the tips, they pressed on to the tip rather tight, could this caused a problem with the tips.
I got the copper washers from cummins per my serial no.
Now i found out that the remaned injector are from an 04 truck, could that make a difference going in to an 03. they tell me they are exactly the same, can anybody tell me.
need to get this fixed please somebody help me.
the washers should have slid over the tips rather easily. 03 and 04 tips are the same 03 to 07 bodies are the same What are your boost numbers now??
Old 05-29-2010, 01:47 PM

boost numbers are good 28 to 30 if i really throttle it other wise 10 at cruise, no i rechecked all boots and clamps, i did replace one due to it looked rough...will do the rest when they arrive....I pulled the air horn off and relooked at the gaskets because i did reuse them...so i figure well just maybe...replaced with new gaskets and torqued by the book...i just went and drove it and lots of black smoke and not alot of power....so im at a big loss. I have checked with cummins and they say the early 04 and the 03 are all the same so i have discounted that, even though i have rechecked the tubes for proper torque could this cause this and maybe i missed something. need help please
Old 05-29-2010, 04:03 PM

could the copper washer going on fairly tight cause the tip to hang open thus making alot of black smoke.
i need somebody to help me please
Old 05-29-2010, 05:52 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Ok, I talked to go fast a few minutes ago, he's going to drop his 100's back in to rule out the injectors. We talked about getting them bench checked, but he needs the truck, so I figured that this would at least rule out the injectors.

I am not feeling the boost leak, as he is making good boost numbers. He looked at the grid heater, clean as it can be. He is reading the boost from a boost bolt in the intake, so that's how much pressure he's seeing in the head.

As long as those injectors were from an early 04 truck, they are the same, tip wise.

I'm leaning toward either he has an injector body that is bad electrically, it is hanging a little, or a sensor has went out, but it's kind of hard to think that since it started with the new injectors.

Any help would be great.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:39 AM

well do to it was raining last nite i didnt do anything else, this morning i replaced the map senser, with no help, all the same, i even took the air filter off for the test drive to eliminate it also, idles very smooth, pulls off very smoothly, drives very smoothly, but low on power, and LOtS of black smoke under light throttle and a ton under heavy throttle, so going back to 100s this morning and see if all this goes away, will keep you posted.
If anybody has any other ideas, i need all the help i can get.
Thanks
Old 05-30-2010, 10:00 AM

We had a 6.0 powerstorke that had a cracked injector, and at idle, it would smoke lightly, and light to mod throttle, it would smoke like a freight train. The tech pulled it into the sevrice dept at dealership and reved it up, they had to open all the doors to clear out the place. I thought it was rather comical.

I told you that story to tell u this:
I think u have a bad injector or two. How about taking off the turbo and manifold and firing it up to see what hole is smoking?
Old 05-30-2010, 01:27 PM

well it is an injector, i reinstalled all the 100's and no smoke , and purrs like it always did, so these are going back and with all this work for 3 days trying to figure this out...i think im going to leave it alone, thanks to all for the help.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:19 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Glad you got it figured out.

Keep those sticks, get a set of twins, like a S380 under a stocker. I bet that would make a great towing set.

Quick Reply: replace injectors....and it smokes, black