HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Please Help-Excessive Blowby

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 03:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Help-Excessive Blowby

I just purchased a 2004 Dodge Cummins 3500 Dually. I drove away to find that in 200 miles I used, or rather dumped out my blowby tube, 2 quarts of oil. When I stop, blowby exhaust fills the air. I am to drive this truck through Canada in a couple of days by myself, what is wrong with it??
Krystal
Old 03-18-2010, 03:39 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
What does your oil level look like? How does the oil feel?

Sometimes, when you have a lot of oil coming out like that, it could mean an injector has gotten stuck open, flooding the crankcase with oil. Hopefully, this is not the case, and the breather is just clogged.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:44 AM

Well the oil was really nasty, and thick, felt kindof greasy. I had it changed, I only use Delo 400 LE 15-40. I drove a total of 355 miles to get where I am. Just bought the truck two days ago. Now checking the oil, it doesnt stick to the dipstick like it should. I didnt feel it, was in a hurry to get inside after a long day. But it looked very thin (because it didnt stick to the dipstick). I have a warranty don't know if it will cover it, but I guess I am taking it to dodge tomorrow. Before I drive home to Alaska.

Oh, and it has a Bully Dog Cold Air Intake Filter System on it.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:49 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Originally Posted by Diesel Girl
... it doesnt stick to the dipstick like it should. I didnt feel it, was in a hurry to get inside after a long day. But it looked very thin (because it didnt stick to the dipstick).
Yeah, that could be a sign of a hung injector. If you pull the stick again and smell it, it will probably smell like diesel, and the oil level might be high.

If this is the case, I would not drive it, I would have it towed to the shop.

Sorry.

I could always be wrong. Hope I am.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:55 AM

Thank You for helping me, I wanted some kind of Idea on what was wrong. I know that it shouldn't blow out that much oil, I can see it dripping out of the tube at an idle. Also the whole underside is covered in oil. I am at my brother's apartment, so will look at it all in the morning. I hope actually that it is something simple, and easy to fix; Rather than something unfixable in short amount of time.. I have to drive this thing 2500 miles in the middle of nowhere.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:58 AM

oh, and I don't know yet, but my guess is that it is low, 'cause it is all coming out of the blowby, I mean visably, oil leaking/drippping out of the blowby tube with visable exhaust that fills the air around the rig. Not good, especially when I will be spending the next 24/7 inside of this truck on the way home. Day And Night..
Old 03-18-2010, 03:58 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

No problem, good luck. If it is injectors, don't drive it.

If you have to have them fixed on your dime, the best name in injector repair right now is Don M at F1 Deisel. You can't send them directly to him, but he has dealers.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:09 AM

What else could it be?
Old 03-18-2010, 12:07 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Bump...

Could be bad rings, too. I'm just the doom and gloom guy today...
Old 03-18-2010, 06:04 PM

A little trick I use to see if I have fuel dilution in oil is to get a brown paper bag and put a little on it. Fuel will "Wick" out/across, on to the paper bag faster then the oil. Hotter the oil, the harder it is to tell on the bag. If you haven't done this before, it can be hard to diagnose what your looking at
Old 03-18-2010, 06:07 PM

Is it running smoothly or missing?
Old 03-23-2010, 04:56 PM

I know this is a few days later but -
It sounds like the previous owner was running veg oil instead of diesel (sticky oil) and it could be a stuck compression ring.
My rig ran fine when it stuck an oil ring. It just blew lots of smoke out the pipe and ate oil like a fiend !

Tons O' fun !
Old 03-23-2010, 07:43 PM

Thank You everybody! I took the truck to Tacoma Dodge. They determined the truck had #5 dead hole, and 3-4 barely firing. I somehow got lucky, and the dealer gave my money back. I was able to purchase a truck from Dave Smith Motors, they are the most wonderful people, and excellent service. Ended up with a 2005 Cummins Turbo Diesel, 3500 Big Horn Edition, but has a short bed and single rear axle. We will see how I like it. Truck also has an ATS Aurora Turbo, Banks High Ram, and a K&N Air Filtration System, as well as a 6" MBRP Exhaust system from the Turbo Back. It is a really nice rig, and should pull the horse trailer through Canada with no Problems.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:59 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Congrats! Glad you got that taken care of.

A set of air bags will make that SRW handle that trailer a lot better
Old 03-23-2010, 11:42 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Good to hear they took care of you.

Quick Reply: Please Help-Excessive Blowby