HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

oil pressure on 95 12valve

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil pressure on 95 12valve

we ( my family ) have 3 dodge ram diesels , my brothers 95 3500 was doing fine and all of a sudden his brake pedal went hard and the oil light came on , the oil pressure gage reads zero on start now .
does the gear train on the front of the enginerun the oil pump as well as the vacuum pump ?
did the KDP get him ?

HELP !
Old 08-28-2006, 11:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gear Driven

Yes crankshaft is geared to run everything, cam, oil pump, IP and vacuum/power steering pump. Oil pump is separate from cam,etc.. So theoretically the KDP should not get them, but as we know there's always Murphy's law.
Only way to check is to pull the cover and have a look, Little bits of broken gears can travel around and get into everything. Also when brakes got hard did the power steering quit working???
Old 08-29-2006, 12:33 AM

Eliminate the possibility that something came loose by looking at the oil pressure sender and the vacuum lines to the brake booster. Sniff around there a bit first. Something could have messed up both at the same time. If your power steering quit then forget my advice. If it is still working look around for some kind of mishap that affected the vacuum or the sender. Does your heater respond to the vacuum controls? Now that I think about it it may not be a good idea to run it just to look for this.

and GOOD LUCK!
Old 08-29-2006, 11:02 AM

this is sportydons brother , the one with the broke truck ! . we found the problem with the oil pressure , the idler gear between the crank and oil pump ( actually part of the oil pump ) got something jammed between it and the other gear and actually broke the oil pump housing and the gear cocked so it was not making contact with the oil pump driven gear .this is just the beginning lol , one of the bolts that holds on the crank sensor ( ? ) has its threads in the housing broken out , we think this is what jammed the oil pump gear , but wait it gets better ..... there is no dowel pin in its hole at all and we can not find any remnants of it either .
so i have to get a manual so i know how to pull all the gears off and how to preserve the fuel pump timing or retime the fuel pump , i figured out the cam timing but the fuel pump is a different matter .
ad removed, if not we are thinking of welding this one up and retapping the hole where the sensor bolts on .
any help you can provide will be appreciated such as where to get a good manual or where i may call to find a used gear housing
don ( richards other brother )
Old 08-29-2006, 11:06 AM

Ouch! Tough luck.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
KDP damage

Yeah sounds like the KDP got you. Look on e bay for parts to get yours running again without spending big $$$.
Drag a magnet around in the oil pan to see if you can find the pin, should'nt hurt anything being in there its too big to suck up the pickup tube. But it does need to be in there when you reassemble it.

As far as IP timing, that has to be set with a special adapter and dial indicator. There is a timing lock pin on the IP for locking it at TDC during removal but you really need a service manual to be able to re time it correctly.
A haynes or chilton is better than nothing, But its nice to have the factory service manual for your year truck.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:09 PM

thanks dslpower , my brother owns the truck and he ordered a cummins manual today , and it looks like we may take the gear case off and weld up the broken out bolt hole where the pickup bolts and then retap it . we will also take off the pan and clean that out and look around in there . got a new oil pump from cummins coming . will tab the KDP and as soon as we get his back on the road we will tab my 1990 KDP. bad thing is he just bought the truck lol and it ran great with no obvious problems , ya never know with used stuff . as a little info i am a past certified master tech and a wannabe machinist with a pretty good machine shop at home so i think we can whip this puppy , i just have no experience with ctd engines.
don