HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Need Some Quick Advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Some Quick Advice

I bought a 2004 Ram 3500 on Sunday from a dealership. I went in to talk about a 2005, but the guy located a 2004 for me with all the options I wanted.

I completed all the paperwork and loan stuff. The only thing left to do was for me to give them my down payment when the truck arrived (it was supposed to arrive today - Tuesday).

I get a call not too long ago. The guy said they were having difficulties securing the truck I purchased. He didn't offer any further details.

He said he found a 2005 with a few less options (little things, like no bodyside molding, no block heater, etc). They want me to pay $300 more for the 2005 with less options.

Is this fair? I purchased the truck I wanted. Why should I have to pay for their mistake?

The 2004 I purchased for $7700 off sticker for $36300.

Right now I am waiting for him to call back. I believe he is seeing if he can secure the 2005 he located (wouldn't you do that before you offer it to me?).

This is my first time going thorugh a dealer so maybe this is common... I don't know.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:51 PM

It may be common, but I don't like the sounds of it. You are talking about a large sum of money and if you are not 100% satisfied, I would walk in a second. Make a deal that makes you or find another deal IMO.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:59 PM

I talked to the salesman around 5:30. He said he would call me back tonight.

It's now 8:00 and the dealership is closed and I have not recieved a call.

I was extremely impressed with the place until all of this happened. Now I'm not so sure about them.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
don't be rushed!

If you don't like e-v-er-t-h-i-n-g that is transpiring cancel the order. They will be under far more pressure than you are to buy.Or counter offer with extended warranty or extra 10% off for parts and labour for a year or such.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:21 AM

Little doubt the dealership that had possession of the truck sold it before your dealership came to get it. Call your salesman, saleswoman and tell them, "I really had my heart set on that 2004 because it had everything I was looking for." Tell them you got your hopes up only to be disappointed because you can't have that truck after all. Ask if there's another 2004 like it anywhere else. See what they offer. Don't be shy about telling them you're gonna visit DealerA and DealerB in the meantime.
If they find one 300-400 miles away tell them to call you and verify they still have your number, while you shop the nearby dealers. The dealership may volunteer to go get it for free or for $100, make sure if they do, that it's on a flatbed instead of driven to your dealership.
Meanwhile visit those other dealers after deciding what you're willing to pay for a like equipped 2005. You don't have anything to lose except some time and maybe some fuel.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Nat
Old 11-10-2004, 07:50 AM

Normally I would also have little doubt that the dealership that first had posession of the truck sold it before my dealer came to get it.

However, I saw on the sheet that the truck was down in Cinncy. And I heard that a dealership down there had just gone out of business... and apparantly he had quite a few Ram 3500s on the lot.

Now, I don't know any of this for sure, but perhaps the truck was tied up in a legal process somewhere.

Either way, I'm going to find out today.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
There are plenty of trucks set up just the way you want. Call around, get on the internet and shop around. Make calls, shop a round. I have done this several times and bought vehicles up to 500 miles away and picked them up on a trailer. The dealer you are working with now can still service your truck, but they might not be the one to sell it to you.

Its their loss, they were not loyal to you so why should you even use their bathroom? Use the floor! LOL
Old 11-10-2004, 09:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tell them youll walk for the $300( if you want the truck) and they will probably give it to you. They pull this BS all the time. a recent trip to my local DC dealer and I tell the guy exactly what im lookin for and for how much. I get a call a week later and he tells me he has the truck there I want, 93 250 4x4 CTD, even described it to me . I drive 45 minutes to get there. He says theres the truck . A 99 Ford Psd for 22K, man was I fumin. most have no ethics when it comes to makin a buck. In there own terms, GRIND UM some more.

Good luck.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with Apache 100%. They are all thieves and will talk out of one side of their mouth to you while they are talking out of the other side to their buddies in the other room who are laughing their heads off.

When I was buying my truck one salesman said he found the truck I wanted. I went in and it wasn't even close. It wasn't a Ford but I was still very upset. That was the last time I dealt with that loser.

If you're not in a rush, pick out the exact options you want and the exact price you're willing to pay and then call or email until you find a dealer who will give you what you want.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:31 PM

Well, nothing transpired today. I was testing them.

The salesman told me he'd call me right back on Tuesday night after I talked to him. Waited and waited and never got a call.

Waited all day today and never got a call either.

I'm paying him to give me good service. He's not paying me. Therefore I should not have to be the one to call them and ask what the heck is going on.

So on top of what has already happened I'm even more mad now that they don't even have the common courtesy to let me know whats going on.

Think I'm going to pull the plug on this one.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:46 PM

Have you looked at Edmunds or any of the other car buyers sites to see where you are at for price? Keep the salseman on the hook until the 29th or 30th of the month and tell him its his last chance. If they have room to move he will do it then. He's looking at flooring for another month . Car dealers are in a bind now with the no interest loans last year ect. and nobody is buying now. Make sure they fill it up to. When I bought mine they said no and I said good by. The salseman said you mean you would walk for a tank of diesel and I said you going to let me go. I got it filled. It really feels good when you can feel the blade scrape bone.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:55 AM

And just think the manufactures pay them to fill them and get them ready, yet a lot of them try to charge dealerprep........
Old 11-11-2004, 02:26 PM

This absolutely unbelievable!

Today (Thursday) I called about 4 times this morning trying to get a hold of the guy that sold me the truck. All morning he was "with a customer", so I eventually left my name and number and told them it was important he got back with me.

Just called again now at 3:20 and he has left for the day.

This makes Tuesday afternoon/night, all of Wednesday, all of Thursday that he has not bothered to tell me what is going on. All after he promised to "call me right back".

I'm fuming now.

Somebody PM me the name of a good dealer in Ohio. I sure as heck can't find one that gives decent customer service or that I haven't caught in a lie. I don't ask for much... I just want to be treated like I just spent the $43000 that I did.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:02 PM

i see your from findlay, if you feel like making a trip down to the Amelia area there is a Joe Kidd dodge dealer there that i have bought 2 trucks from, one in 97 and this 03 i have now. they are pretty good to deal with, service is good, and they gave me 15 free oil changes... just my .02
Old 11-11-2004, 05:13 PM

I don't know where you live but I just bought a 2004 2500HD diesel. The sticker in the window was 38,425. I told them I only have 30,000 to spend. To make a 2 hour story short I stuck to my guns and they came down to my price. They then tried to add a dealer fee of 499. I started to walk and since they must add the fee they dropped the price to 29,501. It still came out to an even 30,000. Th, Floridahe dealership I bought my truck from is in Daytona Beac

Hold your ground and good luck.

Mike

Quick Reply: Need Some Quick Advice