HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Need serious tranny help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Need serious tranny help!!!

This morning, I was cruising along w/o any load ( had just left the house, so I was babying it), & all of a sudden, I had a loud noise that originally sounded like a rod knocking in the engine, but it went away as soon as I pushed in the clutch pedal. I turned around to take it back home, and the knock got way louder, and then it finally sounded like a loud grinding. At that instant (I was only in 2nd gear) the rear wheels locked up, and it killed the engine when the engine was running at around 1600 RPM.
I could smell burnt clutch (after trying to restart a few times), so I know that's probably toast... When I start it in neutral w/ the clutch pedal pressed in, it's fine, but then when I let the clutch out, It puts the engine under load, like it's in gear (but in neutral). Once we got it towed back to the house, I fired it up again, and instead of the engine sounding as if it's under load, I can let the clutch part way out, and hear a load banging/grinding noise. I'm guessing that I ate an input shaft, but what else could it have possibly taken out? You'd think something lke this would happen under a hard load, but the engine was COLD, so I was babying it.

This is rough... I'm just now healed from a back injury, can't find any work, and on top of it all, I'm going through a divorce and trying to get custody of my little boys, since their mom's appearantly on meth.
I HAVE to figure out a way to fix this hunk of iron, so I can have wheels to get to a job once I find one. If anyone has a good used trans or clutch lying around, for cheap, maybe it could get me through (I hate to even throw that in there, but my pride went out the window when My wife left.)
Old 01-25-2007, 04:08 PM

BTT need help asap.
Forgot to mention that it went out when I left the house to do some volunteer work @ my church, no less.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:27 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how was it towed? just asking 'cause i had something simular happen. except i broke a tooth off of the rear ring and the broken chunk of metal was lodged between the pinon and the good teeth of the ring. i had to pop the axle shafts from the rear-end, pull the driveline and drive home (well to work) in four wheel drive ('cept it was now front wheel drive)
Old 01-25-2007, 05:11 PM
Registered

Your going to have to drop the tranny and see if it's clutch or tranny problens, could be eather one. sorry to here of your trouble. Wish I was close, I would help you pull it
Old 01-25-2007, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by blackdiesel
Your going to have to drop the tranny and see if it's clutch or tranny problens, could be eather one. sorry to here of your trouble. Wish I was close, I would help you pull it
CAn't you pull the top cover off and look into the tranny without pulling it out of the truck? I have an auto so don't know for sure
Old 01-25-2007, 06:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
TTT. That thing's gonna have to come apart Jeremy. Sorry for your troubles (of which there are many, I'm afraid ) Wish I were closer....
Old 01-25-2007, 06:47 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
well if you are still investigating, why not just pull off the inspection plate from the bottom of the bell housing to check out the clutch. if your model doesn't have one, it should have an "inspection hole". and yes, i think you can put the inspection plate/shifter housing from the top to check out the tranny. if everything looks ok there, pull the driveline, put the tranny in neutral and spin the output shaft. that should give some idea. i think.......
i'd also drian the fluid and check for debris or the like....
Old 01-25-2007, 06:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dbrick
CAn't you pull the top cover off and look into the tranny without pulling it out of the truck? I have an auto so don't know for sure
the floor don't come out of the dodge like the older chevy's do. SO, it will have to be dropped
Old 01-25-2007, 06:50 PM

Troubles-a-many, for sure.
JPR Ram, we towed it with a tow strap in neutral w/ dad's 98 1/2 ton Dodge, about 3/4 of a mile. I almost made it home...
It was definitely not rear end. Sounded like it was very near the bell, housing, but by the way it acted, I'd HAVE to say it's internal. I smoked the clutch in neutral, trying to get the input shaft to turn. It'd be a MIRACLE, if it's only the clutch... but I have my doubts.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:50 PM

jack up the rear axle, give the wheels a spin to rule out rear end.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:53 PM

I figured I'd just pull the PTO cover and see what's up from there. Oughtta be able to see cuttings or maybe whole gear teeth going in from that direction, I'd think. Just wish I had a good used one sitting here to throw in it and call 'er did. You know what they say, though: wish in one hand...
Old 01-25-2007, 06:56 PM

i've heard that the pilot bearing on the dodges commonlly fail. but i doubt it's that simple.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:58 PM

Timmy 22, def. not the rear. I can push in the lutch, start that hummin cummins, then as I let out the clutch, w/ the tranny in neutral, it sounds like there's about 4 hammers swingin around in there at 1000RPM. The clutch seems to still be functioning as per normal, except I let alot of smoke out of it today... and it's the stock clutch @ 128,000 + miles. :-( The smoke came out when I made a last ditch effort to get it to move a little further off the blacktop.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Dang-it, Jeremy, this one's gonna cost some $$ Good thing is it's a 2wd. Something good, used and cheap is bound to show up before too long. I'm looking around right now....
Old 01-25-2007, 07:02 PM

Pilot bearing might be the root cause, if it's been worn out for a while... coulda caused the mainshaft bearing to slop around and then put excessive wear on the gear teeth, then they perhaps decided to shear off, just for kicks. Wish I had a 9 speed and an on board air unit lying around... I'd take care of this BS for good.
I've had problems w/ the snapring that holds the 5th gear cluster on the countershaft 2 times in 3 years, and now this. Funny, the upgraded 5th gear nut is still holding strong...

Quick Reply: Need serious tranny help!!!