HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

need PCM wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need PCM wiring help

ok, i have a DTT noise filter im trying to hook up, it says to hook the TPS signal wire from the PCM to one wire (orange/dark blue stripped wire) and the other wire to the PCM ground wire (black/tan)...easy right?? ok, not so easy...it appears while looking at the firewall, the connector ( 1 of 3), that has the "signal" wire in it is on the far RIGHT side...the color is close to "dark blue/orange"...then, coming out of the SAME connector, their is 2 "black/tan" stripped wires, not just one?!? Ive looked around and i cant seem to find a diagram i can use ( or read )...any help would be GREATLY appreciated
Old 10-07-2003, 05:24 PM

Re:need PCM wiring help

What tranny do you have and in the instructions what signals are you looking for or what truck signals are you trying to tap. I may be able to find you the info but never having installed one of those DTT noise filters or even what it is. Kinda a rookie on these things. I believe it is a filter for a fueling box but aint sure. Will help but need more inputs to apply to my prints.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:28 PM

never mind I see what your hooking too now and am loking at the prints. Think I have the wires figured but need to determine how to get that info across to you. Give me about 10 to 20 minutes. Gotta look at the truck harness for speghetti of some kind.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:32 PM

the filter is to help w/ the locking and unlocking of the torque converter, common problem w/ the auto's..trans is a 47re..directions state: Tap the "blue wire w/ orange stripe" which is the "TPS signal wire from the PCM" and to tap the "PCM Ground wire" which is "Black w/ tan tracer"...prob is, there is (3) connectors, i beleive it's the one to the right when looking at the firewall and also, there is (2) black wires w/ brown tracers ( not sure if there the same or not?!?)
Old 10-07-2003, 05:44 PM

tps is A23 which comes from the TPS pin 2. Should stay the same color all the way through. PCM ground wire comes in two varieties, sensor ground (Black and light blue) and PCM ground which is A31 and A32 which are both black and tan. I believe they doubled the ground for redundancy(safety sake). Guess you had them the entire time. I got my information out of a haynes manual for 1994 thru 2001 trucks in the diesel section. Your call as to wether your truck would be covered correctly. If you have a fluke you can check both wires to ground.REMEMBER to Disconnect your negative battery leads before doing the resistance check. Good luck
Old 10-07-2003, 05:48 PM

thanks a million for the help...1 more really dumb question, is it marked on the connector "pin 2" ? eletric aint my thing and im guessing there in the same connector harness?
Old 10-07-2003, 05:52 PM

Went back and looked again just to be sure and the tps signal has a note about your auto tranny and or egr equiped vehicles, Pretty sure we are on the same sheet of music and the grounds are as described in last post, both are good to use.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:58 PM

Aint no such thing as a dumb question. The pin two I refered too was in the TPS connector itself. There are only three leads in that connector: pin1 is black and light blue, pin2 is orange and dark blue and pin 3 is violet and white by my prints.
At the PCM its A23 and I am unsure if its labled. If it is, it will be in the plastic or rubber insert of the connector. This could be the connector in your hand or the plug you unhooked it from in the PCM. Hard to look at in either case but I have looked at this print three times now and I believe you should only find the one lead in that color combination. If not get back to me and I will look some more.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:00 PM

I believe they are both in connector C135. So yes they are in the same connector. sorry for the oversight.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:03 PM

slighfox i owe u a beer! let me know if your ever in the philadelphia area...yeah, home of the Eagles
really, thanks for all the legwork, greatly appraciated
Old 10-07-2003, 06:07 PM

No sweat and I'll take you up on thta beer if I can.