HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Need Help - Injector Replacement w/ PICTURE

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help - Injector Replacement w/ PICTURE

Hello out there!

I was in the process of replacing the factory injectors on my '98.5 24-valve CTD when I found out that there was a bulletin on the Fuel Injector Connector Tubes for my engine.

In short, if your engine serial number falls below a certain value, you MUST replace the connector tubes along with the injectors: lucky me

Anyway, I stopped the process and ordered the connector tubes. After they arrived, I was shocked to see that the tubes DID NOT come with the rubber o-rings They did, however, come with a bag of (6) copper "tappet like" tubes!

To clarify, the little bag contains (6) copper tubes that are 5/8" long and fit nicely over the tips of my fuel injectors [yikes! my new injectors are already in the head!]

I'll attempt to attach a photo at the end of this message. (I'VE HAD DIFFICULTY DOING THIS SO FAR...)

Please write back and tell me what they're for. I'd hate to button everything up and find out that I have to take everything apart again

By the way, the instructions I got with my new injectors AND my manual DO NOT mention anything about these. They do, conversely, mention the copper washers/shims that are at the base of each new injector.

I'm in the middle of the job, so I'd appreciate your immediate attention...thanks so much...Bill
Old 09-12-2004, 04:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This probably does not help, but I have the late injector tubes and none of the three engines that I have use anything like that. Do put the o rings on the tubes.
Old 09-12-2004, 07:08 AM

Thanks for the reply, Haulin...

As I understand it, you're saying that you've used the updated injector connector tubes and HAVEN'T seen anything resembling the photo I attached??

If you haven't seen the item in the photo, should I assume that the copper washer at the base of the injector tip [butted up against the injector body] is all the "shim" required for this install??

I have to say that I'm a bit confused by what I've read regarding the shims. Every installation procedure I've read tells you to grease the "copper washer" to keep it on the injector. Each procedure I've read also states that the washers are actually shims.

So?? Well...every injector I've removed and installed [12 altogether] do have a single copper disc/washer at the base of the injector tip. However, each one of these copper discs seems to be practically GLUED to the injector body?? I'm wondering why the procedures tell you to grease something up so it stays on when the washers won't come off no matter what??

I'LL ATTACH A PHOTO AGAIN [at the end of this message] so you can see why I'm puzzled by all this. As you can see, the washer I thought the procedures referred to is clearly there. On the other hand, you can also see that the "tappet like" copper item from the original photo I attached fits perfectly on the injector tip, while also leaving the nozzles exposed. Common sense has me wondering if these things aren't injector shims.

Thanks again for the reply,
Bill
Old 09-12-2004, 02:27 PM

not sure here but maybe a sheild or shear support? i think id call the copper washers gaskets and say the grease was to hold it in place while you were installing the injectors. just to keep them from falling in the holes or getting lodged in sideways or not seated properly before you screwed it down.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Complicated and I best not get into that which I don't know. I have updated tubes and have never seen the part you have pictured. Have they made a further update, that I don't know. They seem quite thick and would reposition the injector and affect compression.

This is one of these deals where I sort of play dumb. Comes natural Sashay into Cummins and ask a mechanic, who will think you are totally naive and have trouble changing oil, but usually gives you an answer.

One of these times was when I wanted to purchase the shrader valve that goes in the test ports. The parts man, the service manager, the mechanics, none of them had any idea what I was talking about. I left wondering if I knew what I was talking about. So I tried an airconditioning valve. Gave my hood and engine a good wash job on the first trip. It was a good day, did not catch fire... Saw this vapor out the back each time I shifted at speed.

Best I can say is go to a Cummins parts counter and ask what da heck are these things. They may be like the front seal dust seal. I was told they make good small frisbies. You never know, they may be for another engine that uses the same tubes, don't know.

Dom M. should have the answers, he is the sitting expert on injector systems in Cummins B. I was hoping he would chime in. Sorry, can't help.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:59 AM

MYSTERY SOLVED! [I think]

Hello again!

Thanks to the two people that actually replied--I really appreciate the words.

As for the "tappets"...I've been told that they are indeed injector shims/sleeves for a '93 RAM. Apparently, that engine had a tapered bore for the injectors, so these little copper beauties were used as a sleeve/shim in that particular head.

Nonetheless, they ARE NOT for the '98.5 CTD and had no business being in my box!!! As you can now see, the fact that they were shims [that fit on my injectors no less] was a definite source of anxiety.

In the end, I asked them to send me the o-rings and complained about the tubes. I'm hoping I don't experience any more merchant-induced problems along the way.

Have a great one,
Bill