HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Is my Pilot Shaft Bearing seizing up?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2002, 10:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is my Pilot Shaft Bearing seizing up?

I have a 98.5 with a the 5 speed tranny.<br><br>Its starting to get difficult to get it into first gear and reverse at times , Sometimes even 2nd gear. ( this is when Im at a stop ) Sometimes I have to shut off the engine , to put it in gear !!<br><br>Im really pretty sure the clutch is fully disengaging. the clutch feels perfect. <br><br>If the pilot bearing is getting dry and seizing , Im thinking that it will cause my input shaft to spin even when the clutch is in,<br>Thus making it hard to get into gear .<br><br>Any thoughts / ideas? <br><br>Is there anything short of pulling the tranny to get some lubrication to the blasted thing ?<br><br>Thanks in advance !<br><br>Brett....
Old 10-03-2002, 10:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Is my Pilot Shaft Bearing seizing up?

I've had that exact problem with a 99 F450 PSD.<br><br>It went back to the dealer countless times. After changing the clutch master cylinder it took ages before we finally got all of the air bled out of the system. Only then did it work properly. These hydraulic clutches can be a pain in the neck. <br><br>Judging from what you have described, I would bet that is where the problem lies.<br><br> Just a thought
Old 10-04-2002, 05:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had it happen on a Chevy. It was the throw out bearing. Once it started on that truck it went to the point where it wouldn't disengage at all pretty quickly.
Old 10-04-2002, 06:01 PM

Well I figured I would look into what &quot;tool&quot; spoke of . Sounded like it could possibly be my problem. <br>Well,this hydrolic system is a &quot;sealed&quot; ,a one piece set-up. It cannot be bled. Rats.<br><br>Thanks for the input <br>
Old 10-04-2002, 08:34 PM

As Clydesdale suggests ,during the past few weeks , I have been trying to ease it into first gear just prior to a full stop (just barely rolling). I can always hit first gear smoothly when this is done . Also hitting reverse on a slow roll works good.<br><br>Now I dont know much about friction coeficients. [undecided]<br>Guess you mean insufficient friction of the synchro surfaces?<br><br>And the end-play, do you speak of &quot;up and down&quot; (verticle) play on the shaft -or- &quot;in and out&quot; (horizontal) play ?<br><br>One more item . I bought this truck used a while back. Im reasonably sure that the tranny gear lube ( synthetic 80w90 )<br>has never been changed. I have been meaning to change it , but something else around the house always seem to have a higher priority.<br>Nonetheless , if the lube is breking down , would this possibly be contributing to my problems .<br><br>Thanks you very much for taking the time to help a fellow &quot;Cummins Guy&quot;.<br><br> <br><br><br><br>