HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Knock, I need help guys, I'm in trouble.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 07:02 AM

Received 126 Likes on 70 Posts
Wow! How did you get that new of a rig for only $26,345?
Old 10-06-2005, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who in the world gave you that crazy "Big Truck" Idea?

Good to see ya got somp'n that'll pull and hold up, not to mention those sleep-overs.

...........is Insurance higher, lower or about the same?
Old 10-06-2005, 09:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Burner
Who in the world gave you that crazy "Big Truck" Idea?

Good to see ya got somp'n that'll pull and hold up, not to mention those sleep-overs.

...........is Insurance higher, lower or about the same?
Everything is higher.... Insurance is about 50% higher. Tags for same load weight $250 higher. Advelorem taxes are a shot on the value. Now for some silk sheets
Old 10-06-2005, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Flashdancr
Nice Freightshaker Haulin!

What does Shatzie think of it?

That’s what I need to pull my 5ver.
Shatzie has not seen much of it yet, they used air fresheners in it pretty heavy and some of them can be real bad for the bird. It will be great for her though and secure, no passers by, gawking in the windows at her. That scares her if I am not there.

I have to figure out a perch for her in the new one and a cage placement. Sounds easy til you try doing it. Thanks for the comp on the truck.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:20 PM

It's nice to see you're back on the road, HiD. I'm don't have much knowledge on big rigs, but what do you plan on pulling now with your larger capacity?
Old 10-08-2005, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
Well it became very obvious that I could spend 5000 or 6000 for a truck but it would only be temporary, not the main truck, then I would have it hung around my neck. Also the last time I let the truck dribble every bit of backup money away and ended up broke, hoping no problems came up, basically started over.

I did not have the money to go for a good diesel truck without taking on financing. The more I looked, a mid sized truck did not seem to be worth it. Still would not have a sleeper and would be extended on payments. So the big truck, I paid $26,345, was as easy to do, mileage would be about the same as a mid-sized, and I went for the condo.... Freightliner Century class. Insurance is higher, truck has been getting 7.1 with 80,000 pound loads, mine will be lighter.

I am getting too old for this camping out on the reclined front seat, aches and pains all the time, never rested. This way I go right to work, in some comfort, seven foot ceiling hight inside. And I will have the Dodge for a backup and dailey driver. Would not think of getting rid of it, I will just fix it at my leasure time. It did hurt dropping the insurance on it, and the plates run out at the end of the month.

Air Compressor.... I set up a really effective stethiscope, a real one with a probe glued to the larger diaphram. Sometime hurts the ears. No noise from the compressor, comes from the area of the number five cylinder. And it is definately a power knock. Quiet on coast, the compressor would not be affected by the throttle.
Wow what a truck! Despite the lower fuel mileage you deserve the comfortable truck! What kind of engine is it? What kind of mileage do you think you might get? Do you think you'll go for a larger trailer now too?

After reading this I told my fiance that if I ever get into hauling, she's going to have to have a Dodge dually as her daily driver just incase something happens to mine
Old 10-08-2005, 07:01 PM

HID, Now that you have a great new class 8...

If you have not yet done so, check out these guys.
Maybe of interest in the future.

http://www.dieselinjection.net

I'm glad you got something with a Cummins!
That sleeper is sure nice.

Enjoy the new truck.
-Del
Old 10-09-2005, 12:55 PM

I wish it was new, don't have that kind of money, its well used, an exRyder truck. Ok finally ran 300 miles with it, computer shows between 8 1/2 and 9 mpg. Who knows if the computer is accurate. Will take a long time to average mileage on it to know for sure. 150 miles loaded showed 8.71 for the trip, not too shabby.

It's an N14+ set at 500 horse. Lot of features that I just love and a couple that I don't. It is equipped with eight square recaps.... oh well. If I ever get the 13 speed and 9 speed out of my system and remember to hit 6th gear on the 10 speed meritor trans

Still working on getting turned around at the house with its one lane road. Dodge was a lot easier. I am 71 feet long getting into my driveway

I need to put the Cummins ECM on the Dodge when it comes out, love the cruise control, gotta have it on the Dodge. Now if the B engine would mount the full Jake on it....

Of course a bigger trailer is in the future, but no money now, don't dare run broke with a new to me used truck.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:15 PM

What kind of benefits do you think you would see with a Cummins ECM ?

I just fried my ECM (I think). Wondering what is involved in the swap while I am dropping a few hundred bucks on an ECM...
Old 10-10-2005, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by njoverkill
What kind of benefits do you think you would see with a Cummins ECM ?

I just fried my ECM (I think). Wondering what is involved in the swap while I am dropping a few hundred bucks on an ECM...
Ok, you would have the adjustable perimeters, cruise, and endless array of changable features. All that being said, I have the ECM, the complete wiring harness, the brackets that it uses, my engine was commercial, but to go and purchase that stuff, nah don't think so. The wiring harness of the dodge has a different pinout on the ecm plug.

See for me, with the engine out, all it will take for the great cruise, high idle, etc, is the wiring changes and adapting them to the Dodge harness. My cruise has never worked worth a flip. Possibly the only way to get a terrific cruise control. Just two push button switches is all that controls it, it is on all the time. Just hit set and it goes. Endless up and down adjustment. It is also the high idle.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:48 AM

Hmmm,
If its also hi-idle, the critter must run off the engine speed rather than axle speed?