HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Knock, I need help guys, I'm in trouble.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 01:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 12valve@heart
Too bad there isn't a companion cylinder firing at the same time so that you could swap injector lines to see if the problem moves with the line or stays with the cylinder. I can't see that a compression test would do you any good. The only possible test that I can think of would be to run a dial indicator thru the injector hole and see if you can detect any difference in the travel per degree of crank movement of #3 versus another cylinder. If there is a difference, it could indicate a wristpin or rod bearing but it won't tell you if the problem is the pump. You've got me stumped Haulin. I'm assuming that there's no way to drop the pan w/o raising the motor significantly, right? Otherwise you'd have already dropped it and plastigaged #3.

Keep us posted and we'll keep brainstorming.
Yep, in order to pull the pan, AC compressor is unbolted, fan shroud removed, power steering pump removed (big truck pump), intercooler hoses, radiator hoses, motor mount bolts, rear valve rocker arms, exhaust, and a bunch of other stuff that I can't even think of right now.

I have spent hours on the internet trying to get information on the pump possibilities and the function of the delivery valves. Looks like a spring loaded, glorified check valve that keeps pressure out of the lines and the lines full for injection. Looks like if one is bad, it would misfire, causing what I have. Afraid to pull one, don't want to scrap a good vp.

Oh well, it looks like the pan comes off, and if it is bad the engine comes out. Supposed to get more than 100k out of the Cummins built engine. I did not build this one, Cummins did.

thanks for the concern....
Old 09-10-2005, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there any way you could borrow a VP44 and install it to prove if it is the pump or not? Hopefully, a supplier after hearing your symtoms and trouble shooting would meet you half way on this. After all, if it is the pump, you would be buying it anyway.
Replacing the pump is a lot easier then pulling the pan to check on a rod bearing or piston.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Could it be a wrist pin?
Mike
Old 09-10-2005, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Marine
Could it be a wrist pin?
Mike
I suppose I should read all the posts, before I reply. That way, I would see a wrist pin has already been suggested.
I had a knock on a 500 Mack, but it came all at once. It ended up being a broken connecting rod.
Mike
Old 09-10-2005, 08:25 PM

Haulin,
Just a thought... are you able to swap delivery valve from #3 to another location? also try swapping injectors.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by kerryneb
Haulin,
Just a thought... are you able to swap delivery valve from #3 to another location? also try swapping injectors.
With the caution on the service manual not to turn them, I am afraid to scrap a pump by pulling one. Injectors have been changed.

Marine at this point, the pan has to come down to see anything. I seriously doubt the wrist pin because they are so oversized and once the knock started it increased too fast for a wrist pin. A pin would run on for quite a while, just getting looser.

Also with the air compressor and big truck power steering pump installation, pulling the VP is not an easy job either. I have not been able to find where the pump could cause it.

I also found in the Service Manual under noises... "power knock, pull pan for bearing check" so I guess that about sums it up. It can't believe that it took out a bearing in 100k.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:13 PM

Could an oil analysis show you if a bearing is coppering?
Old 09-10-2005, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by fschiola
Could an oil analysis show you if a bearing is coppering?
Yes but that would take another week of lost work before I could start on it. I lost 2200 this week to lost loads. So tomorrow it comes apart. No choice.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:26 PM

I can understand the economics, good luck.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:19 AM

Good luck, Bill.
Let us know what you find (pics would be nice)
Mike
Old 09-11-2005, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by torquefan
I heard a noise just like you describe on a 6.5 not too long ago, would fade in and out at idle, turned out to be a wrist pin, and it was quite obvious once the oil pan was off. You could poke the piston up about .030" in the bore with a small prybar. I know I've never seen one fail on a Cummins, but it's what I thought of when you described it. Anyway I hope you find it soon and it's as painless as possible. Good luck HID, we're thinkin about you.
I was going to suggest the piston pin as well. Let us know how it goes.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:04 AM

Received 126 Likes on 70 Posts
Torquefan beat me to it. Very likely a wrist pin bushing, pin boss, or a cracked/broken pin. The movement of the piston "stops" at tdc and bdc for just a little bit, so it's easy to detect when turning the motor slowly and watching the piston top.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
Yes but that would take another week of lost work before I could start on it. I lost 2200 this week to lost loads. So tomorrow it comes apart. No choice.
Sorry to hear that Haulin. I was really hoping that you could find something easy to fix but I guess Murphy keeps living up to his namesake. Keep us posted.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:26 PM

Cummins response to the above information.....

I thought that this might be of interest. I contacted Cummins about the knock including the info from this thread. I was looking for a possible VP cause...

Bill, we are not in any position to troubleshoot engine knocks by email. If there was a bearing or bushing failure, you would have metal debris in the filter. Since you have checked out the cylinder head, that would be eliminated. So, it could be a piston pin or possibly a tappet knock. We have not heard of VP44 pumps that knock. Sounds like you need to drop the oil pan and take a look at everything on the bottom end, then go from there. It is no likely to go away so you will need to find it and make repairs before something comes apart and causes a lot of damage.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:30 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
I thought that this might be of interest. I contacted Cummins about the knock including the info from this thread. I was looking for a possible VP cause...

Bill, we are not in any position to troubleshoot engine knocks by email. If there was a bearing or bushing failure, you would have metal debris in the filter. Since you have checked out the cylinder head, that would be eliminated. So, it could be a piston pin or possibly a tappet knock. We have not heard of VP44 pumps that knock. Sounds like you need to drop the oil pan and take a look at everything on the bottom end, then go from there. It is no likely to go away so you will need to find it and make repairs before something comes apart and causes a lot of damage.
That stinks. Sorry to hear about the lost time. Nothing worse than lost wages on top of (caused by) a potentialy serious mechanical problem.

Hope it turns out to be better than it sounds.

Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Knock, I need help guys, I'm in trouble.