HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Help.....won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help.....won't Start

Alright guys need serious help. I did my fuel pressure gauge earlier in the week, gave me a real fit trying to get it reprimed and started after i got a little air in the lines. Started ran about 5 seconds and died, Then i had to cycle the lp and crank it messing with cracking injectors and i fianlly got it restarted after about 2 1/2 hours. Which i have a dying lift pump, only get about 5 psi at idle. Made me really hesitant to do my fuel filter today, but it really needed done 15,000 miles without. Hoping that maybe it would raise the pressure at least a little. Well now i can't get my truck to restart again. I've been fiddling with trying to cycle the lp and whatnot which now i'm not showing any fuel pressure on my gauge from the lp which i didn't do anything to. All i did was drain the canister remove the lid, clean the inside, replace the filter, refilled the canister with fresh diesel It overflowed a little, maybe that had something to do with it), put the lid back on and cycled the pump closer to about 10 times to be on the safe side. Well my truck didn't start, not even at first and die, it's just cranking over. Which i just drove the truck not even 1/2 hour before hand with roughly 3.5 psi of fuel pressure. So do you guys know what is up? Please help, i can't go without my truck, which i'll have a new lp by thanksgiving because i don't have the money right now and have been driving like an old man trying to keep some fuel pressure going through. PLEASE HELP?
Old 10-26-2007, 07:24 PM

Rusty B, I had a similar incident a while back after i changed my fuel filter. It cranked and ran for a few seconds then died. I did just as you did, only i just cracked the line at the VP44. Even after doing that it would not run. I ended up cranking it at 8 to 10 second intervals (which may not be recomended) and it finally ran. At that time i did not know i should crack the injector lines. After going throught that i was terrified of changing the filter. I didnt have to worry about that long because VP44 went south several months later. I replaced the VP44 and did away with the stock LP and went with a F.A.S.S. HPFP. Now i am confident the only thing that can go wrong with the rig now is the tranny. Best of luck!
Old 10-26-2007, 07:52 PM

Yeah see that's my worry that the vp44 is gone south too. I wouldn't think it all of a sudden like that, like i said i drove it not even 1/2 hour before i went to change the filter. Which i was scared to do it but it needed done. What's weird is i've got fuel at the injectors. It's not a heavy spray or anything though it's more of just a little fuel seaping out. I'm going to fiddle with it more tomarrow morning and see what's up, ran out of daylight and see if maybe i got air somewhere between the vp and ff because i put a banjo in place of the schrader valve for my fp gauge. I just really hope it's not the vp44, i don't have that kind of cash right now, i'd have to take out a personal loan to get my truck fixed.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:03 PM

From what i have learned on here, if you crack a line at one of the injectors it will be a serious spray, not just a small amount. Are you getting a check engine light? What happened to mine was the electronics in the pump went out at 75 mph 100 miles from home. No warning or anything. Just a $300 tow bill. It does sound odd that it ran for a few seconds and now it wont. Like i said, when mine stalled after the filter change, i cranked it for several long intervals and it finally came to. What that told me at the time was that my LP was running but not pumping. The VP can draw a minimal amount of fuel on its own without the LP working. After all that i changed the LP with another stock pump which lasted less time than an oil change. I sucked it up and upgraded to my existing fuel system. Again, best of luck.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:26 PM

since i changed the filter now it won't run. like it didn't even start and run for a second with the little bit of fuel sitting in the VP44 and injector lines, but all i did was change the filter. Tomarrow i'll try loosening my banjo bolt and see if i can get some fuel coming out there, then i'll know if the lp is doing anything. Like i said i had about 5-7 psi at idle before i did the fuel filter, shouldn't make a difference and should have made it better because my filter was nasty. That's why i don't understand, i'll just have to work with it and i'll probably get it. I'll just start at the filter canistor and start running the lp and seeing how far the fuel is making it or if it's even getting to the fuel filter. It's just irratating becuase i'm really broke and don't have the cash to start spending a bunch in my truck at this moment.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:06 AM

okay guys. I'm very desperate. I just went out and have been trying to get my truck start for almost two hours. First i pulled off the canister lid and i top of the canister because of my lp being almost dead. Then i remove my banjo bolt on the vp44 and i'm getting fuel there. Which i then started cranking with some injectors open and i'm getting fuel at the injectors. So why won't my truck start. Is my IP gone with the wind? Does anybody know, please help me out. What's weird was all i did was try changing the fuel filter, which i just went to she store buy the socket right before i went to do it and it ran fine without any problems. does anyone know if by me opening up the system and getting rid of the prime my problem and now it can't start again becuase it longer has a prime in the system. Only code i have is the 1693 code, which i know is just the companion code and i don't have a scan tool. this just really makes me mad because i don't have the cash right now to start throwing around at what MIGHT be the cause. If it is the vp44 i'll have to take a loan to get it fixed. So i don't know what to do. HELP PLEASE, ANYONE???
Old 10-27-2007, 11:31 AM

I think you still have air in the lines.
Try this: Crack a couple of the injector lines toward the front of the motor (easy to get to ones).
Get a helper to crank the motor over until you see fuel coming out.
While still cranking tighten injector lines and hopefully it will start to catch. If it starts to catch but doesn't keep running it will after a few more starter bumps. Don't overheat your starter by cranking too long without some cool down time between cranks.
Do a search for this "won't start" this happens all the time to these diesel trucks. It's happened to me 3-4 times and it's gotten easier each time
Good luck and let us know.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:32 PM

Crack the injector lines on 1,3 and 4. Have some one crank the engine and when you see goo fuel coming from one of them tighten it back up . It should start running although roughly for a little bit. If it wont go at all, soak a rag in gas , not dripping with gas , and hold it in the air intake tube while someone is cranking. It should fire off. 5psi at idle isnt good. When you start driving you will lose your pressure. I personally wouldnt even start it with that kind of pressure. Your VP may have went out. You may have cost yourself a lot of money trying not to spend a $100.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:19 PM

well it not that i'm not trying to spend a 100 bucks, it just that i don't have a $100 to spend. I got paid yesterday and i'm down to $150 and rent is due in two days. Anyways yeah i got fed up because after a total of over three and a 1/2 hours at it and both batteries dead and working from the battery in my fiance's 1500 on jumper cables i got frusturated and gave up. I'll try some more tomarrow and if nothing i guess i'll give Cummins here in town a call on Monday. Which if it is the injection pump, then i'll have too take out a loan to get it fixed and while at it, i'll get a little more and switch over to a full fass frame mounted system and get my other guages installed. This is just driving me crazy because i read people who just run the lp a few times and hit the key and goes first try, i've opened up my fuel system 3 times and everytime it's taken me over 2-3 hours to get it running again, once back earlier in the week for my fp gauge, then now with the fuel filter and once when i first got it because i didn't realize that the fuel filter drain valve wasn't closed when i drained the water so it leaked all the fuel out on the ground when i was trying to restart it. It's just driving me insane.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:20 PM

Well maybe the 4th time will be the charm

Charge your batteries tonight and try tomorrow.

Try like we said to crack the injector lines till fuel starts to spurt and tighten

them while cranking. Hopefully this will do the trick.

I think that most everyone with their first diesel has experienced this

frustration.

I had this happen the first time I tried to drain some water I thought I had

in the fuel canister. Then when I installed a fuel pressure gauge. But after

that I knew better what to do and it got easier. I feel your pain brother.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:00 AM

Well you have kinda stated the obvious. If you only had 5psi of pressure, your lift pump is gone. Same thing happen to me on a filter change right after I got the truck. I changed the filter, finally got it started after along time. Took it to a friends shop to check the fuel pressure, and it never started again. The lift pump was toast.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:53 AM

yeah see my lift pump is toast, so i'm kinda of SOL. I'm going to mess with it a little bit here in a little while. Yeah now i'm really POed. Last night my fiance's 1500 sprung a power steering leak. I'm pretty sure it just the hose, didn't get the chance to look, it was dark and i didn't know about it until after i got off work at 11:30. It was just a whining inside the cab and it was a little puddle accumilating. I was just like dang it. Oh well, anyways, say i know i'm getting plenty of fuel at injector 4 becuase i cracked it open yesterday and it was spraying fuel all over the block, valve cover and intake manifold. 1 and 3 we're more of a dribble though, so i'll try it somemore today. Hopefully i can get it. It's really irritating becuase i don't have a battery charger right now, all i got is jumper cables so i've been having to do it that way. My battery charger is 4 hours away at my parents house becuase i'm living in a very small 1 bedroom trailer without any kind of shed or outside storage, pretty much the same size as a 35-40' pull behind camper. So all that tools i have with me have to fit in my tool box. So for a full set of sockets, wrenches, dewalt drill, tow straps, tarp, extra fluids, electrical box with connectors, bulbs, fuses, and everything else in there have it about full and kind of hard for my battery charger to fit (older big one but works great), i think i might go look into a smaller size cheaper one if i can't get my truck by this afternoon that way i can stop at least trying to jump it and let it trickle overnight so it's nice and full by next morning. I'm just so frusturated, specially since my lp is dying i shouldn't have did the filter, i should have left it alone until i at least got a new lp first.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:46 PM

You can get a lift pump for under $150 bucks.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:11 PM

well since i'm so short on cash i'm going to call Cummins here in town tomarrow and see if i can get a new lift pump. I know, i know, don't get a stock replacement, but i don't have the money right now to upgrade to a FASS kit to relocate, and i need my truck done and running by wednesday. I know a lp doesn't cost $150, but that's all i have and my rent is due wednesday and it's $125. So i have $25 to my account left until next friday. I'll just have to charge my credit card for a new pump and i hate charging things so i don't want too but i need my truck so i'm going to have too and hopefully the vp44 isn't dead, if it did, i'm not sure what to do, probably go talk to the bank. At least i have a gauge now so when my pressure drops again i'll know it. I don't know just have to wait and see. I'm just glad it did it now and not in a couple weeks when i'll be driving clear across the state to go home for thanksgiving.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SMOKNISB
You can get a lift pump for under $150 bucks.
where can i get one for that?

Quick Reply: Help.....won't Start