HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!

just bought this truck, about to make a statewide (TEXAS) trip for the holidays, would like to get some fixes ASAP!!!

On my '92 Ram D-250 5-spd Reg Cab the fuel gauge isn't working. I've only owned the truck for about a week, and have filled the tank once. The gauge worked for about 60 miles on a short trip to Waxahachie, TX then fell back down to empty. Is this usually a sending unit? and will the Low Fuel light come on if the gauge isn't working? I don't wanna run her dry on accident, and I've got too many other things to worry about rather than a fuel level gauge right now, so i'll get to it soon.

Also... Speedo won't work. When I bought the truck the speedo would jump all over the place at around 40mph, anything faster it sits on 0. I wiggled the VSS and it stopped working alltogether. So the other day I took the VSS off and cleaned it thouroghly, including the connector & wires, and still nothing. Should I buy a VSS? or could it be something else?

One last question... My parking brake cable was busted near the pedal when i bought the truck. I got the O'Reilly replacement cable for $24.99. I installed it, and it won't engage the brakes. I've been adjusting it, messing with the pedal side, and everything, it won't seem to hold. I'm guessing the Parking brake hasn't been used in a long time, so maybe it just takes some time to get everything moving again. When i hit the pedal it goes down extremely hard, and when i pull the lever it only springs back 1/2 way or so. What gives?

Thanks!

Edited by Moderator
Old 12-23-2003, 05:40 PM

Re:HELP!

Okay, no replies...hmm

Well I got the brake cable working better, still needs fine adjustment. So that's taken care of.

I been looking online for a Fuel Gauge Sending Unit, but can't find anything...

Today at work I took off the VSS and cleaned it up, then took the other part (with the littel gears/shaft) off that bolts to the trans, and cleaned it all up. I re-installed & greased up the zert. Drove for about 5 miles and the speedo was bouncing a little around 40mph or so, and at a stop sign the speedo moved when I revved the motor, almost like a tach.

So I went to O'Reilly Auto Parts & bought their VSS from BWD. Installed it in the parking lot, and now the speedo does nothing at all. Oh yeah, it's non-returnable if it's installed so there went $41.00 down the drain. What else could it be?

I heard about this Yoke Nut that crushes the nylon gear that could be loose, I'll give it a shot tomorrow before I head out on my road trip. I hope you guys can help so I can have cruise control for my trip!

Thanks in advance...
Old 12-23-2003, 07:57 PM

First of all, Welcome to the site. Since noone else seems to want to come up with anything I will give it a shot. You did all that I would have thought necessary. You can try going to Dave Fritz website and see if you can find anything. www.dodgeram.org/tech/troubleshoot/problems.htm You can also try www.atra-gears.com/gears/2002-09/2002_04.pdf The second one loads a little slower since it is a pdf file.
Good Luck and keep us informed.
Tom
Old 12-23-2003, 08:47 PM

Hey,on my 91 1 ton my speedo gave me the fits too, I finally found it to be the same gear you pulled out it had came loose on the shaft, it took three local dealers to find me the right color as they are different colors for different amount of teeth for the different rations,also I found a break in the red wire if memory serves me,as it went up the fire wall. I have seen some repair remedys pertaining to the fuel sending unit on the 2nd gen,surley there is some on the 1st,as above do a search on fritz and here on it.Hope you have a great trip in your new to you cummins,and I hope you keep us posted on the mods you are going to do to it as I understand you work with turbos, from your post on the cool down timmer, Goodluck Rick
Old 12-23-2003, 11:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the old Dodges we seldom found any probs with the wiring or the gauge. It was usually the sending unit. Key on unplug the sender the gauge should drop to E, ground the sender wire and the gauge should go full. This was about the only test they provided. On the speedo, the vss often failed on those trucks, but make sure you remove the gear housing and gear and check for "slop" in the housing and inspect the gear. Often the gear wears in the center and starts to skip causing the signal to jump.
Old 12-23-2003, 11:53 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well Tex... Don't dispair.. Welcome to the Site...
I've yak'd with ya over a the DR page..

As far as the speedo goes I had the same symptoms and replaced the eletronic sender with no change. Finally found the yoke nut to be loose letting the gear in the tranny spin. The speedo would only work under accel was the giveaway.

As far as the brake cables go. The ones to the axles, I would stick with OEM as they have the long boot cover on the cable and keeps the sand and water out of the cables. I tried aftermarket and they only lasted a year before they siezed. The one to the brake pedal, well shouldn't matter.

The fuel sender I have no experience with.

If you have specific posts about the 1st gens even if an emergency, you may get a quicker response with a post there instead. Or, try to be more descript in the header for your post.

J-eh