HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

grinding sound in front end

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grinding sound in front end

I have grinding sound in the front end, driver side. it happens more when i go in reverse but is happening in forward also. usually when i start from a stop. only in 4 wheel drive. I thought it was a u joint in the front drive shaft, removed shaft but not the problem. Maybe it is the front hub or the locking device inside? Any ides would be greatly appreciated. I dont think it is the axle joints as it dosent happen more or less if i have the steering cranked.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:14 AM

Put the front end on jack stands , and rotate all parts to reproduce the noise , then it should be easier to find .
Sounds like brake pads .
Old 01-05-2009, 11:25 AM

i used the word grinding but i guess it is more like a slipping popping sort of noise kind of like a binding unbinding noise. definately not brakes. cannot replicate unless the truck is under power. what actually puts these tucks into 4 wheel drive? are the hubs locked permanately? does the locking take place in the pumpkin? thanks for the replies
Old 01-05-2009, 11:40 AM

Now it sounds more like an axial u-joint .
There a few things that lock the front axial , the linkage on the transfer case , has a vacuum switch , the hose goes forward to the front axial to the passenger side of the diff. , at that point is a vacuum motor , that moves a shift fork inside the axial , locking it into 4x4 , then the front wheels are always tied to the axial's , some mod with kits to get lockout hubs on , making only the wheel assemblies turn .
Again , putting the front end on jack stands & turning will help , sometimes the u-joints can be bad , but too gummed up to move/wiggle by hand , look for reddish/brown dust coming out of u-joint seals also , a sign that the bearing went dry / rusted / gone .
Old 01-05-2009, 01:47 PM

just opened upfront diff to change fluid and everything looks great. next i will check axl u joints. thanks
Old 01-05-2009, 04:14 PM

problem found. there is no fluid in the transfer case. 5 mos ago i had the tranny built and my guess is they never put fluid in. ***!!!!!!!!!!!!! there is a 1 year warranty on the work so it should not be a prob. what is involved in rebuilding a transfer case?
Old 01-05-2009, 04:32 PM

Rebuilding is not big a deal , the parts came be expensive .
Need to make sure the case did not get damaged ?
Old 01-05-2009, 04:56 PM

i did not see any chips of metal. but there is plenty of metal dust in the ounce os so of fluid that came out. so hopefully it is just a rebuild as the work was done at my cousins shop.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:03 AM

You should be able to look & tell the difference in color , steel & aluminum .
If not , then use a magnet , you should not be able to pick up , no aluminum wear parts , if there is , then take a close look at case .
Old 01-06-2009, 12:13 PM

it has been filled overnight and no apparent leaks. where can the fluid go if not leaking out through case? talkes to tranny guy and they never drained the t case. So i brought it in for warranty. we'll see what happens. i guess it is possible that someone drained it on me.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:59 PM

Which truck , 03-05 ?
Its hard to say without seeing , an old leak can be harder to find [ all dried out ] .
It is connected to trans, possibly going into AT .
Old 01-06-2009, 05:17 PM

05. when rebuilding a tranny can the t case lose its fluid. he said he never drains the t case so could it have leaked out of a weephole or something? thanks for the replies
Old 01-06-2009, 05:26 PM

I have not worked on that yr & mod , so not sure ,
But its my impression that there is a seal at both ends and a vent on top , so it may be hard for it to leak out , but again , I do think that it is possible for it to go through the front [ bad ] seal into the trans .
Old 01-14-2009, 09:09 AM

turns out t case is completely shot and dealer will dix under warranty. cant explain why no fluid, no leaks. they figure not filled fully from factory. I might have found a good dealer (seems like it so far). maybe they just need the work that bad. I have never been treated well at dealers for warranty service, they always come up w/******** reasons for not warrantying my trucks. (like you use it for work!!! you plow with it!!!! you tow trailers no warranty!!) John thanks for the info.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:40 AM

Great sounds like it will work out OK .

Quick Reply: grinding sound in front end