HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Engine turning over several times before starting????

Old 05-14-2005, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine turning over several times before starting????

I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 Manual Transmission and the past week I have been havign problems starting it. It will turn over several times before starting. Yesterday I was driving down the highway for about 1 1/2 hours then pulled over and turned the truck off. When I got ready to leave I turned the key on and let it sit for about 45 seconds before trying to start it. It turned over about 10-15 times before starting. This morning I am unable to get it started right away. I tried 4-5 times before I got it to turn over and start up. I was told different things that my glow plugs were going out and then someone else told me that it might not be receiving enough fuel. I don't know if I should have it towed to a dealership or try to get it to a private mechanic. Is this something I could try to fix on my own here at the house or do I need to take it in. Right now I am car less and stranded at the house Please help me!!
Old 05-14-2005, 10:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First of all, avoid the "mechanic" that said that your glow plugs may be going out. Cummins doesn't use glow plugs and if the mechanic doesn't know that, you DON'T want him/her working on your truck.

The first three things that come to mind are:

1) pump sucking air (leak in the line)
2) injection pump dying
3) low compression (very unlikely)

Depending on how mechanically inclined you are, the air leak should be something that you can tackle yourself. The injection pump is quite a bit more difficult and we don't want to talk about low compression.

My recollection (and someone with more expertice than me will jump in here soon) is that to test for an air leak, you plumb a section of clear fuel line in just before the lift pump to see if there are air bubbles in the line. You might try doing a search on air in the fuel because I know that it's been discussed here before. Also, how old are your fuel filters. I can't see them making it that hard to start but anything is possible and that's a cheap place to start in eliminating factors.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:07 PM

The first question that needs to be answered is what is your fuel pressure??? That will tell quite a bit. When you bump the starter do you hear the lift pump running? Even if it is, that don't mean that much. Another question that comes to mind is fuel filter?? Does it run like before just hard starting? Overall power the same? Have you had it scanned for codes? Lots of questions.............
Tom
Old 05-14-2005, 08:44 PM

1st off how many miles on your truck, sounds like fuel filter clogged up even if it was changed not long ago srart there cheep way to eleminate a prob 2nd any fuel leaking anywhere check fuel pressure any unusual smoking
Old 05-14-2005, 09:51 PM

Thanks everyone for your input! It seems to be like everyone agrees that it might be my fuel filter (cheap way) and it hasn't been changed for a long time. I will give this a try tomorrow and see if this doesn't help me out any. Thanks again for taking time to help me out and I really appreciate it!

-tlmac
Old 05-14-2005, 11:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let us know if that does the trick.