HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Death wobble is uncontrolable now!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the axels are going to be free through the open differential in the front. you need to try turning the drive shaft. if it is free you are unlocked at the xcase and the axels. if it does not turn either the xcase and/or the axels(differential) are engaged
Clark
Old 09-02-2007, 03:21 PM

nope that drive shaft spins freely. Would a bad caliper cause his???? or something in the brake system. Nothing is binding anymore, and the truck hopps reall bad. I tried swaping tires no luck. again, had all the front end apart no issues with any components except i noticed the caliper slides are frozen.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:13 PM
RCW

Check your spring seats on the frame. They crack loose and will do exactly what you describe.

There was a recall on the 2500's back in the day, so the fix may be covered by the dealer if you find them cracked. If not, they are easy to weld.

Also, check your locating link bushings on the front end. If there is any play at all where the suspension bars connect to the axle it can create a handling nightmare.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:00 PM

alright the spring seats on the axls are rotted away, they are there but very rotted........ i can call the dealer monday but i bet they will void that deal, ad ill end up making my own....
Old 09-03-2007, 11:07 AM

Alrighty, put a new caliper on today, slides were junk, and also fresh pads. Took it for a ride still hopps down the free way after a bump! this is getting very old and annoying. Anyone wanna buy a slighly modified 12 valve....
Old 09-03-2007, 06:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ugh
Id try some new shocks. Maybe take the springs out completely and look for anything loose on the mounts.
Have you pryed on the control arms to make sure theyre not worn out?
That drivers side axle seal requires removal of some of the stuff in the differential, since its near the inside and theres no CAD to use on that side.
Maybe you can get lucky with a piece of all-thread and some nuts and washers, use the thing like a seal press.
Dunno what else to try. Maybe fiddling with tire pressures as well. I find running mine lower decreases chances of DW.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:51 PM

Alright i sat down with my uncle today and looked over what was done to the truck just beore this vibration. WE CAME UP WITH axle seal/u-joint pass side. Also the over he center adjustment to fix the play in the steering shaft.........

IM GUESSING I SCREWED UP THE OVER THE CENTER!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-04-2007, 03:48 AM

It sounds to me like you might have an out of round tire or bent wheel. Mount them up to a tire balancer and spin them to see if they're true or not. On large tires, anything more than 1/4 inch or so of out of round would start a hopping motion that could start the DW. Also, unless the steering stabilizer shock is new, and the regular shocks as well, I'd replace them with high quality shocks. No way you can manually put enough pressure on a shock to test it properly. They're designed to control forces many magnitudes of whatever you could apply to them, and if they're oem stuff they were likely junk the day they were installed, let alone many months and thousands of miles down the road.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:28 AM

shocks have 8k, when level kit installed so were they to acomadate for the extra travel. wheels are still true.... if it were a balance issue it would hopp all the time, but it only does it after a bump
Old 09-05-2007, 03:06 PM

talked to a buddy today. He had this hapen to his dodge, he said to describe it. The dashbored is going to fly out the window, whch is perfect. He had a wheel bearing go out on his truck which caused it to do it. So after the bushings are in, i get to check the wheel bearingss.... again!
Old 09-05-2007, 07:20 PM

take it to the dealer and trade it in. That would slove that problem. I had the DW but it was the broke mount on the track bar that came with my lift. Good luck with that truck. Hopefully you pin piont it soon. I know how you feel, I had to drive back from Las Vegas with the same thing, it really made me angry.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:42 PM

if it comes down to me getting rid of it, ill put it away in a barn and start tuning it into a pulling truck.....
Old 09-06-2007, 09:52 AM

I had the same issue, post hit and run directly on the drivers front wheel...
went through everything much as yourself. My truck is actually in the shop now getting new ball joints (on the insurance companies tab) One alignment shop told me the axel housing was bent no one else can find that. The first thing I did that greatly deminished the HOP was to maintain 65psi in the front tires, I checked them almost Daily... That almost stopped it... I had the wheel checked for trueness and it was ok... I since had added the leveling kit and a set of 35" Toyo's and rarely get the HOP. I should get my truck back tomorrow with 4 new ball joints and we will see. Hopefully that will get rid of the HOP and pull to the right...
Old 09-06-2007, 11:53 AM

well the bushings are in the control arms and the contol arms are in place, but the dealer had to order the bolts, argggg. Lol it figures, supposedly tomorrow the bolts will be here. I checked the wheel bearings and the drivers is tight as a well, ill get in trouble for that one but any how. The passenger is new but it seems to be fine, and i think the reciept go lost if it is bad . If the bushings dont help then im lost...........

I keep 60 psi in the front tires and check them every day myself, but i have 5 new tires in the works. This truck is costing me a fortune....
Old 09-06-2007, 02:11 PM

I know it was mentioned before about the tires. I do not see where you have gotten new tires, if I missed it sorry. But did the same thing with the company work van. The tires looked good at the time but the whole front end was completly redone and still had the tires bounce up and down hitting a bump above 50 MPH. Then took it to a "good old country boy" garage and he looked it over and laughed at me. Told me to get new tires and quit spending money, he was right. You did mention the treads on the tire were a little different, the bands on the inside may be all worn out.

Quick Reply: Death wobble is uncontrolable now!!!