HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

cleaned the TPS..now im missing 3rd and 4th

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cleaned the TPS..now im missing 3rd and 4th

well so i took off the TPS yesterday...opened it up and flushed it with contact cleaner...it was pretty crappy inside...but looks brand new...so i put it together..havent sealed it yet just in case..and good thing too...now the tranny wont shift into 3rd...it did a few times...but VERY late...and i tried gettign up to speed to test out the overdrive gear it will engage (after skipping 3rd or something) and then do crazy upshifts into 2nd .......seems like i need to adjust voltage OR i put the pieces back together incorrectly...help me with how to proceed

and yes i am convinced that a rebuilt is not necessary at all..
Old 04-29-2004, 03:14 PM

Please fill in your signature so we can help you even more.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:42 PM

im working on the signature...got a 95 auto 4 by 4 if it helps.....well i put the pieces of the TPS back together a lil differently ..it shifts all gears....couple small problems now...first....it shifts into 3rd a lil early i think and the rpms drop alot....how can i cure that....i want it to shift a lil later into 3rd....2nd problem is that whatever speed im cruising at when i get my foot off the throttle ...it stays at the same rpms feels odd...i have to stab the break for the engine rpms to drop after i take my foor off the gas...what is that?? or is that the actual normal behaviour im suppoised to be getting after i cleaned up the TPS?
Old 04-29-2004, 07:01 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Did you adjust it?
If not go here http://dodgeram.org/tech/transmissio...TPS_adjust.htm
Old 04-29-2004, 08:03 PM

well im gonna adjust it tommorow...before i read ur reply...the tranny seems much better right now...and hasnt even been adjusted yet...all gears are good except 3rd....it either jumps into 3rd early after 2nd or takes alot of time to get into 3rd ....as for the over drive gera, once its in there it stays...no downshifting...thats good...so only the 3rd gear is off....cant find its sweetspot is the best way i can describe it
Old 04-29-2004, 09:21 PM

Do the voltage ajustment as infidel suggests, you can play with the volts a bit on the shifts. When you had the tps did you bore or knock out the steel inserts where it mounts? If not I might suggest that as it gives you a bit of adjustment also. Goodluck,,Rick
Old 04-29-2004, 09:29 PM

u mean that lil tooth thats still near the engine?? or the lil teeth (or whatever) that are on the sensor?? with that lil tiny wire or whatever??....i should bore that out? or which one?

i appreciate it rick
Old 04-29-2004, 09:31 PM

what i did is when i took the TPS off i cut the back of it and opened it up...took the middle peace out....fluched everythign inside ..put it back together and then mounted it back on with the 2 screws....thats pretty much where im at
Old 04-29-2004, 10:50 PM

Read the the tech page ifidel states in his post, the mounting holes in the tps is what some elongate and take out the metal inserts in the mounting holes, as far as the cleaning did you coat the inside with any dielectric grease?? As far as the adjustment goes after you read the post in infidels and adjust it accordingly you can play with the adjustments somewhat to change the shift later or sooner with different voltages,after you do this come back and tell us where you are at, as far as readjusting the shifting linkages if you did not mess with them I doubt they are wrong. Goodluck,,Rick
Old 04-29-2004, 11:19 PM

k im clear on everything now thanx rick...so should i coat the inside with the grease?? take out those metal inserts so i can fiddle with it right?? im just not clear on the elongation of the mounting holes..what's the idea there?...i read the link..very informative
Old 04-29-2004, 11:34 PM

Use dielectric greas only, the elongating is the mounting holes themselves after the metal inserts are gone, to give you some leeway on adjustment with the mounting holes as an addition to the adjustment with the linkage.Goodluck,,Rick
Old 04-29-2004, 11:42 PM

thanks buddy...basically the adjustments that i will be making will be like turning a door **** with the sensor until i find the right voltage and right shifting points?
Old 04-30-2004, 06:30 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by mr T
thanks buddy...basically the adjustments that i will be making will be like turning a door **** with the sensor until i find the right voltage and right shifting points?
You've got the right idea. Try adjusting before removing the inserts, you may get the correct voltages without removing them or enlongating.
The tech page recommends inserting paper clips into the connector before you plug it back together to have a place to connect your voltmeter. I've found it better to strip a 1/2'' of stranded electrical wire, cut off most of the strands but a few and use this instead of the paper clips. The paper clips tend to enlarge the connector and could cause a poor connection when the clips are removed.
Old 04-30-2004, 12:17 PM

well i tried fiddling with it this mornign before work a bit...i totally cant get the overdrive gear at this point which was working before i took the tps apart and at certain times after as well...im having a tough time angaging into 3rd..its like the truck doesnt know its there....time to take out those metal inserts and start fiddling from there
Old 04-30-2004, 07:37 PM

ok update for my situation driving from work...it wont lock up 3rd...so its in 3rd but the TC wont lock up and then i cant get 4th...thats probably my TPS huh just gotta keep working it?

Quick Reply: cleaned the TPS..now im missing 3rd and 4th