HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Broke Down For 2 Months And Putting Me In The Poorhouse

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 06:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's the correct pn for your 01 diesel level unit w/o in tank pump. I still know that number by heart. 1/4 tank syndrome strikes again.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WELL THE TANKS BACK IN truck runs but thats all it does, codes and dead pedal now still sittin in their bay, they called cummins and they are saying sometimes on the dodge trucks their flash does not work/not compatable and it needs to goto a dodge dealer for flashing, problem there is when i dropped off the new ecm it said "if this unit is incorectly flashed it is no good and cannot be reflashed" so I guess cummins just killed my new $1k ecm?
Old 03-21-2009, 09:58 AM

http://www.autocomputerexchange.com/Makes/Dodge/16
You can try giving these guys a call. They did good on my friends computer on his 99. Only $595. instead of a grand. Hope this helps.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:15 PM

thanks, I am not buying another computer i gave them a new one if they killed it or misflashed it it is their problem, just getting real fed up :X
Old 03-23-2009, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Tom, incorrectly flashed is not the same thing as differently flashed.

Many ECMs if they do not do the complete flash, or something interrupts the flash will "kill" the ECM. The ones I am familiar with you can change the flash memory and then re-flash them. I do not know if the Cummins ECM is like that, but so long as they have communications with the ECM it should be able to be re-flashed.

What codes are they getting now?
Old 03-23-2009, 06:03 PM

OK TODAYS NEWS IS THEY SENT the truck to the dodge dealer they use, the ecm is flashed correctly, the dealer states the new ecm from dodge is defective, they pulled an ecm from another customers truck and used it to fire mine up and everything works like it should, so now it is on dodge to warrenty the ecm that was flashed by cummins and installed by an authorized cummins service center they are saying it will not be a problem but everything thus far has been so we will see
Old 03-23-2009, 06:33 PM

who said they could take parts off of customers trucks to play with,not my truck,
Old 03-23-2009, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by olddodgetrucks
who said they could take parts off of customers trucks to play with,not my truck,
Yes, curious to know "WHAT" Dodge dealership does just that.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:18 AM

WELL i am assuming it was a customers, not many trucks my year around here a dealers for sale, actualy probly none around here for sale, you never know what a repair shop will do while they have your vehicle,having been a mechanic and seen what guys will do to customers cars this is why i normaly repair my own stuff
Old 03-24-2009, 03:43 PM

WELL MORE INFO TODAY DODGE IS SUPPOSED TO WARRANTY the ecm the customers they borrowed gave permission to help them out and aparently the dodge tech says my truck runs fine and is insane powerful and fast after he test drove it (better not be beating my truck )so now it is just a waiting game on dodge corp and the dealer
Old 03-31-2009, 08:56 PM

OK FOR ANYONE INTERESTED i finaly got the truck back today, here is the final lowdown, the fuel sender was bad said 1/4 when empty and the pickup was bad in the tank so i kept running out of fuel and was sucking air also when i had fuel which killed the vp44, the ecm had a short in it was bad etc., the replacement one from mopar was defective, another was ordered and warrantied ( after 3 days of fighting with the dealer) and now the truck seems fine runs great and fires right up, on a side note the animals at dodge broke off the boost gauge line at the intake( and they wonder why i won't deal with them) so I went from there to the diesel shop and they fixed it for free, the shop i used did not charge me for r+r on the tank or install on the draw straw nor did i get charged for them tearing down the front of the engine to check the timing set and cam pickup so in the end it took about 3 months by now and just under $4k but i have the truck back
Old 03-31-2009, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tom,
Thanks for posting all these trials and tribulations, there is some education to be had from all of it. I'm going thru some mechanical hard times on my 2001 also. Not getting any fuel at all out the HP injector lines at the head. (do have good LP pumping fuel to vp44). Unsure whether the reman vp44 is the problem, or if its the ECM.

You said your orig ECM had a short--how did the dealer verify this? If you bring the ECM to them can they test it by itself? Have the ECM off my truck, but all looks good from the outside. Thanks for any input.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:45 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Chaser, take this one for what it is worth, I did it out of desperation, but it worked like a charm.

On my buddies 02 we were not getting any out of the HP line at the Injectors, thought VP was dead because of the 0216 code.

A good Sam here told me about using Brake Cleaner to spray down the Intake to keep her running long enough to build HP pressure. I took the intake and grid heaters off and did just that.

Took about 15 seconds before I got fuel at the Injectors, but that VP is still chugging along.

It was kinda scary to think about doing it, but like I said, it worked like a charm.

Make sure the fuel you are using is flammable though, many Brake Cleaners are now not flammable.......... WD40 would work as well I would think, but we didn't try it.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:12 AM

the trucks original ecm would intermitantly not communicate with scanners and laptops and after checking and rechecking the electrical systm with all the cummins trouble shooting data it was diagnosed as int bad, now the new mopar that was defective the engine ran like crap right away like the vp44 was not in time not installed right, it was flashed correctly by cummins and towed to a dodge dealer where they checked the flash on it and verified somehow it was no good
Old 04-01-2009, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by patdaly
Chaser, take this one for what it is worth, I did it out of desperation, but it worked like a charm.

On my buddies 02 we were not getting any out of the HP line at the Injectors, thought VP was dead because of the 0216 code.

A good Sam here told me about using Brake Cleaner to spray down the Intake to keep her running long enough to build HP pressure. I took the intake and grid heaters off and did just that.

Took about 15 seconds before I got fuel at the Injectors, but that VP is still chugging along.

It was kinda scary to think about doing it, but like I said, it worked like a charm.

Make sure the fuel you are using is flammable though, many Brake Cleaners are now not flammable.......... WD40 would work as well I would think, but we didn't try it.
If you are going to bottle feed one wd-40 is a much better choice than brake clean or either and yes make sure the grid heaters are SHUT DOWN.

Quick Reply: Broke Down For 2 Months And Putting Me In The Poorhouse