HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

brake job

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2002, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brake job

hello<br>i need some help <br>i had my front brakes done two week ago <br>everything was done.. <br>now i got gear lube coming out by my rotors<br>i took it back and the guy fix it so i thought <br>its still leaking <br>i just wanted to know what you guy think is wrong <br>they said that they would fix it fix its still leaking in a week<br>thanks
Old 10-11-2002, 06:17 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Re:brake job

Are you sure it is gear lube and not Brake fluid? Also is it just one wheel or both of them. <br><br>ANY TYPE OF OIL OR GREASE on the rotors can cause immediate brake failure. At best they will hang up with a small amount or worse case fail completely.<br><br>The axle seal on the passenger side is internal near the CAD vacumm shift motor toward the center of the front differential housing. If it leaks it should not be reaching the rotors but rather running out the axle jousing down the knuckle and lower ball joint. <br><br>These particular seals are bad for going out and are a real bear to fix. Unless you are really good with difficult wrenching work. You need to have it done.<br><br>Check the level of your brake fluid and determine if you are leaking brake fluid. If you are DON'T DRIVE THE VEHICLE!. Improperly repaired or damaged calipers can leak and cause you to lose braking ability. Call for the tow truck and get it to a reputable shop.<br><br> You should be able to tell the difference by the smell between the fluid and grease. Both have very distinct aromas. Take note to be very careful and wipe the lid on brake fluid reservoir clean before removing it. Any foreign material entering can damage the system. Also Brake fluid is corrosive to paint and other materials so don't spill it.<br><br>That is the best I can do without more information Good luck!<br>
Old 10-12-2002, 04:33 PM

If you determine it is gear lube, just be patient it should stop in 2-3 weeks. If the seal is not damaged. Jack up the truck on 1 side and let it sit for a couple hours and then do the other side. If they pulled the axle out and the truck was tipped the gear oil spills over the seal and fills the tube. the seal is right next to the pumpkin so the axel tube can hold a lot of gear oil. good luck.jd
Old 10-13-2002, 11:21 AM

his post reads &quot;by the rotor&quot; not on the rotor.
Old 10-13-2002, 12:34 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

[quote author=ironman link=board=13;threadid=5811;start=0#52279 date=1034526060]<br>his post reads &quot;by the rotor&quot; not on the rotor.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Yes Sir, but anytime I see a question with the possible dangers that might exist if he meant to say &quot;on&quot; instead of &quot;near&quot;, I figure best to be safe and point out the hazard's just in case.
Old 10-14-2002, 02:42 PM

thanks <br>it is gear lube <br>i know the difference between the smells<br>it never got on my rotor<br>it just goes down the u joint <br>i doesnt leak as bad anymore <br>sometimes it leaks sometimes it doesnt <br>i checked my fluids and there all full<br>it looks like it might stop<br>thanks for the input<br>bruce<br>