HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

AC Clutch replacement help

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC Clutch replacement help

My AC clutch went out and I can’t find a clutch for this unit. The auto parts stores want to make me replace the compressor and we all know what that leads to. Doe’s anyone know how I can get my hands on a clutch for a Sanden SD7H15 compressor?
Old 06-01-2004, 08:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So when you say the "clutch went out" what exactly do you mean. In some scenarios it's better to replace the compressor when clutch failure happens. If you just have a little bearing noise you can do the clutch, however if the coil burns up or you can obviously tell there has been quite a bit of heat generated up there I usually go with the compressor to eliminate the possibility of a comeback from a leaking front seal.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:46 AM

The ring that engages the compressor isn’t engaging at all, it’s just dangling there. It tries to work when I turn it on and off. The pulley free spins great and the compressor will turn. I was getting some noise from the engine, I thought it was the belts making a noise, but as it turns out is was that clutch.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:52 AM

If you are dead set on replacing clutch only, call directory assistance and get # for Conroe Auto Air. They can get parts for just about any make/ model of parts for auto A/C systems. I do not have their # handy, but I have purchased a lot of parts/pieces from them over the years. They can probably ship to your location too if ya do not want to make the drive.

Gary
Old 06-01-2004, 10:03 AM

Thanks SCUZMAN00...I'll try them out. The only reason I want to replace just the clutch is because the cost of replacing the Compressor, dryer, the inline orifice tube and having to recharge it. That cost will run me around $600 and I can get the clutch for about $200. I am going to let an AC mechanic look at it before I order anything.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:49 PM

YQW Joking. They should be able to get ya anything you need. I am fully aware of all of the parts and pieces you have to replace once you break the system open to do repairs and yes, it can dig deeply into your wallet very quickly. Good luck in getting your cool air flowing again. With the heat index around 107 these past few days, I am sure you will greatly appreciate it running again.

Good Luck!!

Gary
Old 06-01-2004, 12:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check with a chrysler dealer in your area.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:02 PM

I found out a lunch that they require one arm and a leg to fix the clutch at ($460) and to completely redo the system at ($960) that will cost me two legs. Mannn I’m in the wrong businesses….
Old 06-02-2004, 02:51 AM

My 98 broke the same way, I just took it off and went to local
shop ask them if they had one off an old compressor, they gave
me a used one at no charge! Works great now.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:27 AM

iven ever been into the ac on anything but if you dont mind used parts you could buy the whole compressor from a wrecking yard for probably 150 and use what ever you like off it
Old 06-02-2004, 08:54 AM

My clutch separated last summer - center spider shattered - compressor was fine. Got a replacement clutch from Sanden distributor down in Texas for about $180. Installed it myself (royal PITA to get to) and have no problems since. Just make sure to check the clearance of the clutch face and drive pulley - mine required some shimming to get correct clearance.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:02 AM

Thanks everyone for the input...You've been very helpful. I got the parts to fix the clutch. now all I have to do is put it together. If I can't find the tool that it calls for to remove I'll make them. Thanks again for all your help.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:29 AM

Use the smallest steering wheel puller you can find. The real fun is getting the clutch forced back onto the shaft far enough to get the nut started to finish seating it. Also, the nut is a nylock nut and getting it to break loose is another PITA. I unbolted the pump and slid it back in the bracket to get enough nose room to work on the clutch - just make sure you get the clutch bolt broke loose before you do.

Have fun in the heat doing it (ever notice the A/C never breaks down when it is nice weather to work on it?)
Old 06-02-2004, 10:23 AM

I talked to an AC guy yesterday and he said the same thing about it always brakes down when it’s the hottest…
When I really realize he was a big dummy, Is when he said if people would get there AC units fixed during the winter months it wouldn’t be so expensive, They always want it fixed ASAP when it’s hot!. I felt like telling him YA BIG DUMMY! How are they going to know if it’s not working if there not using it.

Quick Reply: AC Clutch replacement help