HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

ABS light on, right hub HOT !!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS light on, right hub HOT !!!!!!!

Did a quick search and think I know what the problem is but....3 days ago I made a sharp left hand corner and thought I heard some popping, stopped at the nearest parking lot and looked underneath,nothing, made some left circles and nothing. Had my mx bike in the back so I checked to make sure it hadn't slipped a bit causing the noise, again no. Made another sharp left a few miles later into the QT and heard it again,di the circle thing and nothing, last 2 days nothing.

Hit a pothole this morning and the ABS came on, drove till I could stop and looked for something loose underneath, nothing. Drove 20 miles home and truck was fine, brakes felt fine. I had just got off a 12hr. shift so I didn't investigate anything when I got home. Driving in a bit ago for another 12 she starts feeling a bit funny 3 miles from work. Pull into the parking lot and I can smell it, made a hard left into my parking space and there is the pop. So hub bearing out, right ??????

Kinda in a jam here as it's Memorial Day weekend, no shops open, no time off really. How hard is this to fix, how pricey if I have to pay someone ? Lastly can I make it home in the morning to park it till Tuesday(my next day off) and grab the spare clunker F-150 ?

Guess this is what I get for braggin' about how good this truck has been for 175,000 miles, to a Powerstroke driver who's truck has been in the shop more than at the owners house, last week.

Oh, by the way, it's an 03.5 Ram 2500 4x4. Thanks.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:23 PM

the hub is easy to unistall about a 2 hr job and can be done just about any where if you don't have it fixed drop me a note
Old 05-28-2009, 07:02 PM

I had a similiar issue and I'm guessing that it was the wheel speed sensor that went out and now that tire is grabbing more and locking up. After the light went on I drove it for a few weeks and the brake dust on the wheel was unbelievable.

I have a 2001 and just posted up on the 2nd gen board about how you can test the sensors with a multimeter from under the hood. Mine is parked until this weekend but I know my issue is in the left front wheel speed sensor.

Not sure if it is the same for an 03 but it is a quick test to run before ripping it all apart and redoing the hubs.