HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

AbS and Brake lite came on

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry AbS and Brake lite came on

99 SWD dualie 107K 5 sp 4.10
Today I drove about 500 miles through the foot hills. I went up and down about a 7%grade for about 5 miles. Hardly touched the brakes about 60 mph with no load. About 30 minutes later in town the ABS and Brake lite came on and stayed on after several motor starts around town.
I searched the archives and it seems that the sensor up on the rear end is possibly the problem as well as a blown fuse. I'll check the fuse shortly. In one of the posts it indicates that it is possible that the brake fluid is in need of change. I just checked it before the trip and it was fine and appears to be yellow clear. The brakes work perfectly. In fact everything on the truck works nicely...even the failed lift pump just after warantee
I'll get after the sensor tomorrow but is there any other things I need to check out???

By the way this is a southern truck and there is no rust anywhere.

thanks for the help

bentwings
Old 05-09-2004, 11:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: AbS and Brake lite came on

Originally posted by bentwings
99 SWD dualie 107K 5 sp 4.10
Today I drove about 500 miles through the foot hills. I went up and down about a 7%grade for about 5 miles. Hardly touched the brakes about 60 mph with no load. About 30 minutes later in town the ABS and Brake lite came on and stayed on after several motor starts around town.
I searched the archives and it seems that the sensor up on the rear end is possibly the problem as well as a blown fuse. I'll check the fuse shortly. In one of the posts it indicates that it is possible that the brake fluid is in need of change. I just checked it before the trip and it was fine and appears to be yellow clear. The brakes work perfectly. In fact everything on the truck works nicely...even the failed lift pump just after warantee
I'll get after the sensor tomorrow but is there any other things I need to check out???

By the way this is a southern truck and there is no rust anywhere.

thanks for the help

bentwings
Check out your speedometer. If it is dead until a few miles per hour, like starts reading at 5 or 10, then is accurate, it is the speed sensor. I have put two of them in my '99.
Old 05-15-2004, 08:37 AM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
on a side note if you have had a trailer on in the past couple weeks or days check that trailers wireing i just went thought that with my low boy the wire for the brakes was bare at the plug and it kept poping my abs and brake like fuse
Old 05-15-2004, 10:03 AM
DPG

Really sounds like a speed sensor to me. When mine went out, my speedo still worked, but my brake/ABS lights stayed lit. Pretty easy fix. The only thing that won't work is your ABS system. Normal braking is still, well...normal.
Old 05-15-2004, 03:37 PM

Angry @#% MS logged me off

I had posted a reply earlier but right in the middle the computer logged me off.
Your right about the abs brakes not working. 7500# sliding sideways in the rain at 50 mph is a blast Good thing I leave plenty of room between me and the next guy. It is surprising how well these trucks handle a skid. Must be the dual RW's
I unfortunately should be out cheking it out instead of being here but it is pouring rain today..the only chance I get to do this stuff.
right before it happened I was under the dash checking things out. I moved some wires that were obviously the previous owners trailer brake controller away from the clutch pedal as they were getting chaffed a bit. It apperars that it was a hasty uninstall as the wires are simply cut off. I think they may have shorted and blown a fuse but so far I haven't found any.

Is it possible that a short may have blown the speed sensor?
Maybe there is a relay somewhere.
Dumb question but where is the fuse for this? under the hood or in the pocket on the left side of the dash.?

so far everything works fine. speedo works, gas gage works, temp ok, all int lights work, motor runs fine.
ABS on the rear at least do not work. If I pump the brakes like days of old the truck is controllable like days of old too. It just won't stop like it should.

Just the red brake lite and yellow ABS lites are on.

thanks

bentwings
Old 05-15-2004, 10:02 PM
DPG

Have you checked the power center (fuse box) under the hood? It will be mounted on the drivers side wheel well behind the battery. Big black plastic box. Lots of heavy fuses and relays in there.

Good luck.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:21 AM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i am almost betting that was your problem was the fuse becuase when mine poped from my trailer every thing was normal ecpet the brake light and the abs