HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

4x4 Grinding when engaged

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4x4 Grinding when engaged

All guys I have a problem which I believe is something going on in the transfer case. When I engage the four wheel drive whether it be low or high the four wheel drive grinds when I turn the wheels. When I drive in a straight line the noise isn't there. So being I still have about 10k left on my drive train warranty I called the dealership to have them look at it.

The dealer then tells me that this binding is normal when turning on dry ground or pavement. Any other truck I have driven with the four wheel drive engaged on dry ground or pavement has never made any awful grinding / binding noise. Is anyone else experiencing this noise?
Old 01-04-2007, 05:15 PM

it has happened to me, nothing to worry about:|
Old 01-04-2007, 07:11 PM

Drives me nuts. It apparently is normal though. Mine will do it on loose gravel, dirt, snow, whatever...
Old 01-04-2007, 08:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how many miles? mine started a "click" or a "pop" when turning, first sign those u-joints off the front axles were wore out.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:02 PM

My truck just turned over 60K.

Timmy22-did you say that was a sign your u-joints in the front axle were worn out? Did you replace them and did it fix the problem?
Old 01-04-2007, 09:32 PM

Well it shouldnt be grinding it should be bouncing or bucking the heck outta you. im not sure of the t case you have but it is always going to bind when driving on a dry surface when turning due to change in wheel speed from the turn the only way that it wouldnt do that is with some type of differential in the t case to assist with speed changes of wheels like AWD cars have. Could be the size of ur tires doin it to ya too. Grippin real bad
Old 01-04-2007, 09:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is it grinding or binding?
Old 01-05-2007, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by kwpatton
My truck just turned over 60K.

Timmy22-did you say that was a sign your u-joints in the front axle were worn out? Did you replace them and did it fix the problem?
when my u-joints wore out up there, they made a poping/cliking sound that was different than the dry turn sound others are talking about.

the best way to check them is with a large screwdriver or small pry bar, try to gently pry up on the center of the u-joint. you will see the play if there toast.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A long time ago I have seen this on a military truck I worked on. It was very rarely driven with front On, and the u-joints roller bearings worked out small indentations on the shafts because they always stayed in the same place more or less. Once the front was engaged, it made quite unpleasant noise. We took it apart and found the imprints of pins on the u-joint shafts. Replaced them and all was back to normal.
-P
Old 01-05-2007, 11:31 PM

Let your dealer look at it before you’re out of warranty.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by kwpatton
All guys I have a problem which I believe is something going on in the transfer case. When I engage the four wheel drive whether it be low or high the four wheel drive grinds when I turn the wheels. When I drive in a straight line the noise isn't there. So being I still have about 10k left on my drive train warranty I called the dealership to have them look at it.

The dealer then tells me that this binding is normal when turning on dry ground or pavement. Any other truck I have driven with the four wheel drive engaged on dry ground or pavement has never made any awful grinding / binding noise. Is anyone else experiencing this noise?
sounds like a u joint problem to me

or just a thought, how is the fluid level on the T case? Mine did the same when the u joints went bad,

Rick
Old 01-06-2007, 01:10 PM

The t case fluid was fine when I changed it wednesday evening. It was dirty but wasn't low. I think there is a problem with the u joints up front because I just drove my dad's 01 2500 TCD and of coarse his made no sound at all.. I think I will take it to the dealer this week and see what kind of excuse or line the come up with
Old 01-06-2007, 01:18 PM

Exclamation

You could have damage to the front diff.
Sound`s like Spyder Gear issue`s to me. When you turn and wheel speed changes/differ`s from side to side, that`s when the spyder gears are active.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:23 PM

Ok, I'll ask them to look at the spider gears as well. Another question, I am in the process of servicing everthing for the 60k schedule b service and the front and rear diffs are a part of this service. I just finished changing the rear diff and that oil look great for having 60k on it. There was very little metal on the magnet too. Do you guys think I should waste my Amsoil in the front axle just to take it to the dealer and have them check this axle and drian and change the fluild while looking for problems?
Old 01-06-2007, 03:42 PM

Question

I would wait. If they pull the front diff. cover and there is damage, that`s a waste of oil. If not, have them add it when they refill and not charge you for the fluids.

Quick Reply: 4x4 Grinding when engaged