HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

2003 truck, torque converter bolt came out

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 truck, torque converter bolt came out

My truck is stranded 2 1/2 hrs from home. I was pulling a open tandem axle trailer with a 69 Road Runner aboard minus the drive train. There were no issues except that I noticed that the avg mi per gallon was lower than usual. Truck was pulling fine and shifting fine.

After exiting I95, I braked for the light. There was a lot of noise, i thought, coming from the engine. I shut the truck off and noticed oil coming from the rear of engine. Started truck again to check oil pressure and it was good. Put in neutral gave it some gas and the noise went away. Released gas and noise resumed. Also noticed as long as truck was runnin, no oil leaking. As it sit parked, oil currently not leaking.

I dropped the inspection cover on the tranny and 3 torque converter bolts were laying there along with some small peices of aluminun I beleive resulted from the flywheel throwing those bolts around. The bolts weren't sheared. The center sections on the bolts were missing the threads. The one hole I was able to see on the flywheel, were the torque converter bolt goes through, was enlarged. Do you think I'm good to go if I install new bolts with Locktight? What should the bolts be torqued at? Please tell me what you think happened. What what would you do? Do you think I've been sabatoged by the Dodge dealership when I went in for the recalls that had nothing to do with the tranny. My truck has never given me any problems, yet, whatsoever!

Thanks guys/gals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-03-2008, 09:25 AM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

Holes probably enlarged from bolts working their way loose, because they weren't thread locked. I'd call the dealership and ask them what the fudge. You may be able to get them to fix it for nothing. I believe there a bas. size bolt, you might get lucky and find something close at a hardware store. Thread lock the heck out of em and torque to 45-50 ft/lbs. Be happy they didn't get lodged and really wreak havoc.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:46 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you have work done recently to it? It would really be strange for a truck of that age spitting out bolts.

You can re bolt the flex plate to the torque converter and it will get you where you are going but You should plan on a new Flex plate and torque converter. You will also need a new front seal on the trans at a minimum.

Stop often and check your trans oil level.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by 06RAM2500
Holes probably enlarged from bolts working their way loose, because they weren't thread locked. I'd call the dealership and ask them what the fudge. You may be able to get them to fix it for nothing. I believe there a bas. size bolt, you might get lucky and find something close at a hardware store. Thread lock the heck out of em and torque to 45-50 ft/lbs. Be happy they didn't get lodged and really wreak havoc.
Thanks for the reply. The truck has 85k/mi. The recalls were for installation of an "out of park system", tranny cooler line, and a couple of PCM harnesses. These things were done at 82k/mi. You and I both know they won't confess to any wrong doing. They said tranny was only covered for 70k/mi. So they are unwilling to assist unless they're getting paid. Yes, I'm definitely happy. It could be alot worse. Thanks for the info and encourgement!
Old 02-03-2008, 08:10 PM

Camper Andy. There was no work recently done to my truck. The oil I was talking about was motor oil. There was no tranny fluid leaking out anywhere. I'm not sure, but until I get the truck home and do a further inspection, I may need a flex plate as you indicated. I ordered 6 new torque converter bolts from Chrysler. Even though 3 came loose, I'm going to replace all of them. Basically, through these threads, I'm trying to build confidence that i can go out there, put new bolts in using thread locking and drive my truck home without something else happining because of something I failed to do. Will Locktight do the job? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-03-2008, 09:08 PM

Lock tite is worth the effort. As you install bolts try looking for additional cracking or damage to flexplate. If you find a crack you must replace.
I would drive for a day or so and recheck bolts to see if they are holding. You might not be so lucky a second time.