HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

01 broke bad

Old 11-04-2006, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 broke bad

01 2500 have codes p1689 and p0602 just installed superchip program wed and truck ran fine. This morn. I got on her pretty good and it spit and sputtered a couple times went about 10 miles and died. fuel filter had about 5k on it but I went ahead and replaced it. still wont hit a lick
Old 11-04-2006, 07:03 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gages? Fuel pressure?

Another guy here awhile back had a no start problem that turned out to be out of fuel..............sending unit was bad.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:27 PM

This cant be a good sign...

P1689=

SYMPTOM
P1689-NO COMMUNICATION BETWEEN ECM & INJECTION PUMP MODULE (OBD II)

WHEN MONITORED
Ignition ON.

SET CONDITION
Time between CAN messages > 3 seconds . Or Fuel Injection Pump Module does not receive CAN message.

POSSIBLE CAUSES

Fuel inj pump ground circuit open or high resistance
Fuel pump control module harness observable defect
Datalink (+) circuit open
Datalink (+) circuit short to ground
Datalink (-) circuit open
Datalink (-) circuit short to ground
Engine Control Module

P0602=

SYMPTOM
P0602-ECM FUELING CALIBRATION ERROR

WHEN MONITORED
Ignition ON.

SET CONDITION
If any parameter is out of range for 1 second , a DTC is stored and the MIL is illuminated.

POSSIBLE CAUSES

Specific good trip counter not equal to 0
Engine control module defective

Can you/have you uninstalled the superchip program??
Are you getting fuel to the filter??
Old 11-04-2006, 08:07 PM

I know it has fuel in it i only have 250 miles on this tank. I nused my superchip to scan the codes with the ignition off. Im in the national guard and had drill this weekend and havent had time to mess with it yet. I did not try to uninstall the programmer, and I havent checked the fuel press. But when I pulled out the fuel filter the bowl only had about an inch of fuel in it.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:11 PM

I would uninstall the program and see what happens.
If that does not work, bump the starter and crack the fuel filter line and see if you have any fuel pressure at all.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:11 PM
Banned

when you bump the starter. do you hear the fuel pump run for abput 10-20 seconds? thios is a way to see if the fuel pump is even trying to get fuel!
Old 11-04-2006, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by H2SRDMB
when you bump the starter. do you hear the fuel pump run for abput 10-20 seconds? thios is a way to see if the fuel pump is even trying to get fuel!
the pump will sometimes shear the PLASTIC impeller off the lift pump and you will hear it running but it wont put out any pressure.
In the end the best way to tell is with a gauge.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:24 PM

it will be monday before I can try anything and I will start where you all recomend. Thanks for your help. Im just concerned about the injection pump. do you think that it could be the lift pump.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 01 2500
it will be monday before I can try anything and I will start where you all recomend. Thanks for your help. Im just concerned about the injection pump. do you think that it could be the lift pump.
if there is no fuel to the ip , then yes that could be the problem.. and where do you live? it a nice thing to put up just incase a local dtr member is really bored and looking for somthing to do! (like me currently, im BORED)
Old 11-04-2006, 08:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 53 ******
the pump will sometimes shear the PLASTIC impeller off the lift pump and you will hear it running but it wont put out any pressure.
In the end the best way to tell is with a gauge.
i have never seen a plastic impeller.. everyone i have taken apart has been metal! but if it is that ! i can see that being an issue!

and yes see if you can get a fuel gauge! a very big necissity!
Old 11-04-2006, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by H2SRDMB
i have never seen a plastic impeller.. everyone i have taken apart has been metal! but if it is that ! i can see that being an issue!

and yes see if you can get a fuel gauge! a very big necissity!

OK your right, it's not the actual impeller that is plastic but the shaft that spins the impeller. YES they are plastic.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by 01 2500

yes it could be your lift pump, but now it could be your injection pump because of the bad lift pump.

I still think you need to uninstall the SC program and try again.

you could have very easily had a bad lift pump for who knows how long! and as soon as you added the SC program it finished off your injection pump because there is no extra fuel to cool/lubricate the pump.

BTW I don't think ANY code reader can read codes with the ignition switch "off" like stated in your post earlier. The Key needs to be "on"

this is what I would do..
1. uninstall the SC and see if it starts. if not..
2. recheck for new codes
3. check the fuel pressure at the filter housing.

if you have fuel at the filter and it still wont start it may be your Inject pump

4. crack a injector line open and see if any fuel comes out while you have a friend crank the truck over, if you get no fuel your screwed and need an injection pump. keep your hands clear of the lines so you don't get injected with diesel fuel

good luck and keep us posted on what happens.

Old 11-04-2006, 11:48 PM

Cummins still has the Carter Campaign lift pump - I bought one yesterday for $64.90. The parts man didn't even know about it - he was surprised - said it was a $150 pump

Posted elsewhere here - Cummins PN 4090046 Cummins West , Inc. has them phone number 559-274-4400 Thanks to whoever posted this on the forum before.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:11 PM

today i finally got to work on my truck. the lift pump would not run. I uninstalled the super chip, no help. I replaced the lift pump and now im getting fuel to the injection pump. but i dont get fuel to the injectors. I cracked open the return line and only get a dribble of fuel from it. verry little fuel is coming from the injector lines.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:09 PM

Sounds pretty much like the same problem I'm having, except I don't have a programmer. Isn't it annoying?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 01 broke bad