Notices
General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

You have to see this... the most powerful diesel bar none

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel Fuel Marine

Yeah bulabula,

That's the way I remember it when I was in the service during the mid 70s'.

The ship I was on (in my photo gallery) built in 1965 had the bunker oil heaters mounted on the bulkhead near the fuel oil service pumps but were never used because we always had the lighter DFM that didn't require heat. Also had plenty of JP-5 on hand to refuel helos' with.

Some of my favorite memories of the Navy is of standing watch during "Sea and Anchor Detail" and operating the throttles, answering "bells" from the bridge on the engine order telegraph. Way cool, wish I could do it again.

My ship had "main spaces" where the boilers, main engines, evaps, and SSTGs' (Ships Steam Turbine Generators) all in the same space (compartment or room for you non-Navy guys). So even though I didn't get to operate the boilers I got to see first hand what was done to make things happen.

One of these days in another post I'll tell the story of when we got a FULL BACK bell in the middle of the night while steady steaming ahead at standard speed. (kinda got off topic on this post).
Old 10-06-2005, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by bulabula
Everytime I fill up the Dodge breathing in that wonderful sweet smell of diesel fuel brings back memories of "the smoking lamp is out while taking on fuel." And DFM foams just like our fuel too.

Expensive? Freedom isn't cheap.
[off topic]
I always wondered why when we were refueling from the port side of an oiler, our smoking lamp was out, but it was OK for the carrier refueling on the starboard side of the same oiler at the same time to recover aircraft coming in with the afterburners on?
[/off topic]

~Rob
Old 10-06-2005, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by hotdram
[off topic]
I always wondered why when we were refueling from the port side of an oiler, our smoking lamp was out, but it was OK for the carrier refueling on the starboard side of the same oiler at the same time to recover aircraft coming in with the afterburners on?
[/off topic]

~Rob
I always wondered that too??? I think it was because the brown shoe types have a different perspective on life from the black shoes. I remember being distracted when the AV-8 Harriers were doing touch and go's during an unrep. It sure was fun watching that action - except when the winch operators on the oiler stopped paying attention to the rig to watch the Harriers play.

FWIW, everyone is a brown shoe in the kindler gentler times we live in.

RipnRoar, the Duluth, huh? Nice pic at Pt Loma, I always liked that Sea and Anchor detail. My first ship was USS Mount Vernon (LSD-39); ask PistolWhipt about her; unfortunately she's been scrapped. One of my jobs onboard her was as Auxilliaries Officer (A-Gang....). Great pic in Main Control, man I spent a lot of time in Mickey V standing in front of those dials smoking cig's, hollering at each other because you couldn't hear anything b/c of the force draft blowers, telling tall tales and standing in place to hog up the cold air from the AC vent. I only had a few opportunities to shut the ahead throttle valve and open the astern throttle at the same time - both hands... it was for stop and lock training. Good stuff.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:05 AM

What I wonder is have they applied the secret tone ring mod to it yet
Old 10-07-2005, 05:58 AM

Location: In the middle of Weather Dry Creek Farm in Avilla, Arkansas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Skimmers
Old 10-07-2005, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by shortround
Skimmers
That's the longest sentence I've ever seen a bubblehead use.

~Rob