General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Why Stick With Diesel??

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 96_12V
The few stations I've actually seen that sold off-road with on-road only sold it about $.20 less than taxable. Diesel here is anywhere from $2.59 - 2.85 presently (all on-road) whereas unleaded is $2.07 - $2.15. Seems diesel prices are confused?

Hope you didn't take my caution personally - just can't be too careful somtimes. Have a good one...
none taken, i know it was stupid. its was $2.30 off-road and $3.00 on-road, i couldnt resist. also i dont have a extra tank and pump in back, thats the ones that get dipped and farmers and livestockers also.
Im neither, i have no reason to get dipped.

thanks, dieselfan
Old 10-09-2006, 05:18 PM

I agree with Hoss. Like he said he bought it cause it was diesel and didn't tow much. if I was in that boat I would buy a Dodge 1500 with a Hemi. it's about 2,000 lbs lighter, gas is about 40 cents cheaper, you don't have to change out as much oil, fuel filters as often or all the other parts that are more expensive. your tires last longer, this and that, no cold truck in the morning (gasers warm up real fast) Adding anti gel in winter (Yes some of us see snow) = ) Again I only use my truck for towing so for me it's a good buy, I need the power and weight capacity. If I didn't tow I wouldn't own a diesel.

Gasers do do bad when towing, but if you don't tow, there fine. I drive my gals Mercury Sable, and it sports a purple steering wheel cover and has butterfly stickers on it (you can laugh trust me) but hey at 26 mpg, can't beat that.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:15 PM

With all the current issues concerning diesel vs. gasoline in pick-ups most of the old-school reasons to own a diesel are out of the picture i.e. cheap fuel, better mpg etc. In my humble opinion the only reason to own a diesel nowadays is if you either:

1) Plan on never buying another vehicle or
2) Need to pull things

Personally I would love to drive a VW Passat with a small diesel and get 50 mpg or a honda and get 40 with gas. But guess what... I'm a farmer. I haul heavy stuff. Very heavy stuff. Constantly. My truck is always hooked to a gooseneck. When you're pulling a GVW of 50000 lbs of wet hay out of a muddy field and down the road you need something with some gusto. When your hauling 26 round bales on a gooseneck behind you're truck and grossing about 30+ thousand down the highway up and down hills you need a truck. A diesel truck, preferrably with a cummins... dont get me started on other diesels, i've tried them, they DON'T work, period, no more discussion. Oh and if they put a cummins in a ford tomarrow... guess what i'd be driving? A ford.

Why do I stick with a CUMMINS powered pickup? Because I need one. Oh and another thing. Coming from someone who pulls with their pick-up... I always hear people saying they get the same mpg empty or loaded with their pick-up... please tell me how. I get about 18 unloaded and loaded between 10 and 12. Are their really people out there who still get 18 mpg loaded? Or are they considering loaded a bag of mulch for their wives flower bed???

That's my 20 cents,

Ausitn Kolb
Old 10-18-2006, 06:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by austinkolb
I always hear people saying they get the same mpg empty or loaded with their pick-up... please tell me how. I get about 18 unloaded and loaded between 10 and 12. Are their really people out there who still get 18 mpg loaded? Or are they considering loaded a bag of mulch for their wives flower bed???

That's my 20 cents,

Ausitn Kolb
Finally, someone with a sence of reality. Thanks man and welcome aboard.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"are they considering loaded a bag of mulch for their wives flower bed"

A bag of mulch, that's to much weight to haul for great mpg. I think it's more like a 6 pack and 1/2 tank of fuel
Old 10-18-2006, 09:44 PM
Banned

go tell that to truck driving companies about putting an equivalent sized gasoline in instead of that big ol inline 6 diesel and you will get laughed at.

I could imagine they are making around 5.5 mpg average but with an equivalent sized gasoline they would probaly only make about 1 mpg.So what gives?

Dont they just make sulphur in a jug so you can add some when needed?

I think whats going to happen is diesel is going to be non-sulphur diesel just like when leaded gas changed into non-leaded gas
Old 10-18-2006, 09:51 PM

i have asked a few people who are diesel mechanics and they say that the new fuiel won't do damage to the engines as everyone (those mostly non mechanics) believe. i would rather believe someone who works, drives, a diesel then someone who doesn't. i too bought my diesel to see what it can do in long run. i put some 30,000 miles a year on vehicle on I want to know the longevity or these engines. what is the most some have ever put on one ctd?
Old 10-18-2006, 09:53 PM

by the way diesel in los angeles is about 2.53 gallon. i am an electrician and I worked one day down in long beach by the refineries and diesel was about twenty cents cheaper. there is something wrong with that picture. no one can tell me the govt. isn't manipulating the prices.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rebel05

Dont they just make sulphur in a jug so you can add some when needed?

I think whats going to happen is diesel is going to be non-sulphur diesel just like when leaded gas changed into non-leaded gas
Sulpher is bad, nasty stuff that doesn't burn to well. You don't want to add it.

The thing is that the filtering process also takes out other stuff. (Ever had 3.2% beer? When they filter out the extra alchol, some tase goes with it.) It is the aromatics that also get filterd out that you would want to re add. But you can't. Running a good fuel aditive is certianly not a bad idea though.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by homelessgdog
by the way diesel in los angeles is about 2.53 gallon. i am an electrician and I worked one day down in long beach by the refineries and diesel was about twenty cents cheaper. there is something wrong with that picture. no one can tell me the govt. isn't manipulating the prices.
Diesel was cheaper by the refineries? Probabally because the shipping cost is next to nothing.

Goernment is not fixing the prices. I'm not gonna get political, but price is determined by market conditions.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:01 PM
Banned

hey shiner beer, made in shiner,texas.g00d Stuff

i add racor fuel additive everytime i put in fuel in my trucks,I wont put fuel in unless i use the additive.

Will this new fuel shorten the life of the vp44 injector pump and other pumps on other engines as well?

Old 10-18-2006, 10:24 PM
Banned

The only thing finer than a cold Shiner, is another.

There have been isolated reports of seals going out due to the slightly diffenet composition of the fuel. These were seals that were marginal to begin with. But all in all I think it will actually be better for the pumps because it is so much cleaner. Especially with a quality additive...
Old 10-18-2006, 11:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by homelessgdog
I'm shocked!
You found a product for a cheaper price closer to it's source?

... I hear black helicopters
Old 10-19-2006, 08:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took a drum of diesel with me to Houston last week... cause it's $.15 cheaper in Oklahoma! Not cheaper near those refineries.

I get about the same mileage on the hwy as I do around home (rural area), but that's because I tend to drive 75-80 on the hwy.
Once, when truck was new, I tried a whole tank at 65 mph and under. Never got any better mileage??
I seem to have one of those 16-17 mpg automatics... no matter what I do?
(All mileage tests are done on 1000 miles +/-)
RJ
Old 10-19-2006, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by displacedtexan
Diesel was cheaper by the refineries? Probabally because the shipping cost is next to nothing.

Goernment is not fixing the prices. I'm not gonna get political, but price is determined by market conditions.
According to some , Bush has a control panel in his office where he sets the price.

Quick Reply: Why Stick With Diesel??