General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

What is so great about FASS ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 08:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's so great about the FASS .... I've asked myself that before ... and the answer is... "everything is great"... if you're the guy selling it. And a basic understanding of human behavior says the guy who just bougth it, with his hard earned cash, will rationalize his purchase, and think it's the greatest, too.

Be careful, Superduty, lots of folks get confused when you give them any kind of facts, or propose anything out of the main stream of thought.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was under the impression you shouldn't have more than 20 psi to the IP...superduty do you run an additional regulator to step down the walbro? I agree with you about that pump, gerator style pumps are superior.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:09 PM
Banned

You might want to read the CP3 post I linked in above.

CP3s have a built in lift pump, so they are capable of sucking as much fuel as necessary from the pump inlet. (Actually, right from the tank on a Duramax.) My Walbro runs at about 5PSI of backpressure. It just pushes fuel through the filter to the CP3 through the bypass and back to the tank. No regulator involved.

I haven't looked at the fuel supply needs of the VP44 close enough to comment. If it needed a pressure relief I would do everything the same and just plumb and adjustable relief into the bypass line. That would allow the VP44 to take in as much pressurized fuel as it needs.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:08 PM

Why I went with the FASS II:

-reported reliabiltiy here on DTR
-$369 for the kit with brackets, bigger fuel lines, wiring harness versus $175.00 for replacement stock Lp
-warranty, 4 years unlimited mileage
-ease of rebuilding, replacing brushes, when worn out
-the holleys seem to have leaking and reliability issues, hit & miss
-overall longevity cost factor
-$369.00 1 FASS with 4 year guarantee
-stock Lp $175.00, 6 month guarantee, in 4 years possible expence $1000+
-holley $110.00+, 12 month guarantee?, in 4 years possible expense $450+/-

So with these factors, it made my decision easy.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:37 PM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Superduty, what else needs to be done to run the walbro? Not getting smart but I am genually curious as to what other expense/effort is involved in makeing your pump work compared to a fass. If I could get all I needed for 200 bucks and the install was just as easy I would go with the walbro. I am glad you brought this up because it is just about lp time for me in my quest for making safe power. I like the idea of no brushes and that would save a couple hundred bucks. Does the walbro pump enough fuel for 550 horse? That is my goal, and if it is stated above I apologize but it is late and I dont want to read all that again.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:02 AM
Banned

"Superduty, what else needs to be done to run the walbro? Not getting smart but I am genually curious as to what other expense/effort is involved in makeing your pump work compared to a fass."

No problem. I put a parts list in the link in the opening post. It should all be in there.

Your 05 has an in tank pump, so you'll have to remove it and put a hose where the pump was so you now have a pickup. You'll need to cut the supply line somewhere and splice the Walbro in. On the Fords the suction side uses a short splice of hose and the pressure side uses a compression fitting.

You'll need to wire the pump in. So intercept the power wires that went to the old pump and connect them to the new pump.

You'll need 2 tapped banjo bolts, which Gabes sells for $7ea. You'll need 2 hose barbs and a short piece of hose.

That is it.

"If I could get all I needed for 200 bucks and the install was just as easy I would go with the walbro."

Do the math. It shouldn't be that much.

"I am glad you brought this up because it is just about lp time for me in my quest for making safe power. I like the idea of no brushes and that would save a couple hundred bucks. Does the walbro pump enough fuel for 550 horse?"

Yep. If you do it like I did you should have a flow of 80 GPH or so, which is lots.

"That is my goal, and if it is stated above I apologize but it is late and I dont want to read all that again."

No problem. I'm happy to get the info out. Post if you need more. The article did have a better parts list in it. You will probably want to order the mount kit for the Walbro. You can bolt it to the frame rail then. That is what the Fords do. It is on the inside of the drivers framerail at about the first door.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:07 AM
Banned

One more thing... you could put the Walbro right in the tank where the stock pump was if you wanted to. I bet the pump size and fittings are similar and you wouldn't have to cut the suction line or anything. The only visible mod to your truck would be the CP3 bypass hose.

The Walbro is rated to be mounted right in the tank. Fuel runs right through it when it runs.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:55 AM

What does GM use for their Duramax engines? What is the relibility and cost of those pumps?
Old 01-05-2006, 06:13 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by crobtex
I didn't...............
Me neither.

I like my little holley. Puts out plenty of fuel for my measely 371hp.
I will too, for the average Joe, the Holley pushes plenty o' fuel.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:45 AM

I've been thinking and I want to apologize to Superduty for my first post. I guess someone needs to put thought into things because I know I usually don't. Afterall, it was Superduty who came up with the "Tone ring mod"!

I still like my FASS though. Had I been able to find a cheaper unit that actually came with everything I needed to install it, I probably would have gotten it. I hate buying things that say they are made for a particular vehicle and after you tear things apart you find out that you need this and that.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:11 AM
Banned

"What does GM use for their Duramax engines? What is the relibility and cost of those pumps?"

I am not sure what they use now, but the early engines used NO lift pump. The CP3 fed itself by sucking its own fuel from the tank through a filter.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:13 AM
Banned

Thanks Dodgezilla.

I didn't invent the tone ring mod. A few guys had done it before me. Thanks anyway.

Holley guys: what makes your pump better or worse than a Walbro ? Do you have a delivery curve ?
Old 01-05-2006, 10:06 AM

Holley Pump Curves:

http://www.holley.com/data/Products/...ech%20Info.pdf

Go to page 3... it's at the top.

The blue is P/N 12-802-1. It's rated at 110 GPH free flow and 88 GPH at 9psi. It's a "slung vane" designed pump. They are readily available, cheap, easy to work on if needed, and have a warranty.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:31 AM
Banned

According to this page (http://www.holley.com/types.asp?type=76) the Holley blue pump (12-802-1) is rated to operate at a pressure of 7 PSI, with a maximum pressure of 14 PSI.

It is a carburetor type pump, ie "not recommended for use with fuel injection systems".

It is an air cooled vane pump.

With all due respect to Holley owners, I think the Walbro pump is superior in every respect as far as using it for a Cummins. Diesel is more viscous than gasoline, diesel fuel filters are finer and more prone to plugging and 7 PSI isn't a lot of pressure.

I think people get focused on the big GPM of these pumps, but the real thing to watch is the pressure capabilities. A stock 325 only needs 25GPM. The Holley pump is susceptible to running out of pressure when the pumping gets tough. Those conditions might not happen often, but when they do pump damage will result.

I question running this pump at a pressure higher than its rating of 7 PSI.

The Holley regulators look interesting for people who need one.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Superduty
It is a carburetor type pump, ie "not recommended for use with fuel injection systems".
Could this recommendation come from the fact that most fuel injection systems operate in the 35-60 psi range? The blue won't make that much pressure and thus would be a poor fit for that application. It's made for carbs that need 7-12 psi of inlet pressure. That designed application doesn't mean it's junk.

Quick Reply: What is so great about FASS ???