General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

What is so great about FASS ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 01:08 PM
Muted User

Location: "The Peoples Republic of Illinois".....behind enemy lines
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These words are directed at no one in particular. They are as follows...........

1. "Can't we all just get along?" Rodney King
2. "Lighten up, Francis!" Sgt. Hulka
3. "My advise to you is to start drinking heavily." Bluto Blutarsky

Come on guys, if you don't like a particular solution to a problem, DON'T USE IT!!!!!! Come up with a better one yourself. Buy one, whatever. We've lost a few really knowledgeable minds on some of these forums because of the in-fighting that goes on. Wouldn't life be boring if everyone had the same thing and/or thought the same? Some of you all seem to have the mentality of "Don't confuse me with the facts when my mind is already made up!" Some of you, it seems, argue for the sake of arguing. Others of you argue just because you have to be right or make everyone agree with you.

It's now after 12:00PM and I'm gonna take Bluto's advise now. Have a nice day everyone; if your pride will let you!!
Old 01-14-2006, 01:25 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I echo Dorkweed's sentiment here. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on something like this. Who cares???? Not worth arguing over here.

Let's keep it friendly and informative, people can choose to learn or not it is a still a free country Time will tell who has the best theory on this, in the meantime lot's of great info here to help someone make an educated decision.

Now isn't that what we are all really trying to accomplish here anyway?.... Provide alternatives and hopefully help each other out along the way?....Seems like we should be able to do that without making this stuff a personal issue of any kind.

Besides I have a new moderator watching this thread and he is just itching to use one of those new locks he bought at the Hardware store...let's not give him an opportunity to use one on this thread
Old 01-14-2006, 03:17 PM

Just to clear something up that I have claimed about my FASS. I have been saying that I get 19psi with it. I need some glasses, i think, because it is actually making 16-18psi. It doesn't really matter but someone may have thought theirs wasn't working right if they were making less than 19psi!!!

I think we can all get along. As long as everyone agrees with my point of view!!
Old 01-14-2006, 05:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was just getting into reading that tennis match.... and I'd really be interested in seeing the results of that 'flow match' at the cp3 at 20psi.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:32 PM
Muted User

Location: "The Peoples Republic of Illinois".....behind enemy lines
And to think, I thought that I would have the last word in this post!!!!
Old 01-14-2006, 08:01 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by trik396
I was just getting into reading that tennis match.... and I'd really be interested in seeing the results of that 'flow match' at the cp3 at 20psi.
I would like to see the results as well, but not under these circumstances. These guys should be friends not enemies, they have the same goal after all.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:39 AM

i plan to purchase a walbro pump and run the cp3 test,versus a blue,i will do the test at 0psi,5psi,10 psi,14psi,and 20 psi,however the blue wont even pump 20 psi so i am not sure if i can get it to work.there has been extensive research done on pump flows and pressures on the duramax side of things and optimal pressure is 5 psi maintained at the pump for the dmax.i will post my results and if the walbro has better flows in all tests i will keep it,if not it will be in the classifieds in this forumn with a speacial i put up to shut up discount price...

on edit,i will also run the all the tests with a holley black becuase it will run the 20 psi superduty desires.one more thing superduty i reaearlier your comments on the stock lines supply enough fuel,i have 3/4 inch fuel line added on my truck,i assume you want me to use the 3/4 line on the walbro like i will with the blue/black o if you want i still have the stock fuel line in place i could run the walbro through oem,let me know
Old 01-15-2006, 10:22 AM
Banned

"I was just getting into reading that tennis match.... and I'd really be interested in seeing the results of that 'flow match' at the cp3 at 20psi."

It was trick question and he caught onto it.

He didn't proceed with the test because you can't get 20 PSI at the CP3 from a Holley Blue.That is why he didn't proceed with the test and that is why he is ordering a Walbro.

The Holley Blue's max pressure spec is 14PSI. Its rated pressure is 7 PSI. To get 20 PSI at the CP3 probably requires 23 to 27 PSI at the lift pump, depending on lines, filters, banjos etc.

I guess not everyone understood that. Jess did. Kudos for him for knowing.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:28 AM
Banned

Jess (king_d): I commend you for taking the time to test the Walbro. I'll answer any post you put here to help you along.

"i have 3/4 inch fuel line added on my truck,i assume you want me to use the 3/4 line on the walbro like i will with the blue/black o if you want i still have the stock fuel line in place i could run the walbro through oem,let me know"

The 3/4" line will work with the Walbro. You'll be shocked to find how small in the inlet and outlet ports are on the Walbro. Being it has a lot of pressure capability, the designers didn't put bigger ports on it. That and not many vehicles run big fuel lines these days.

I think you can use a 1/8" x 3/8" nipple on the Walbro ports and then uses a 3/8"MNPT x 3/4" compression to get your lines hooked up.

You have to run a bypass or regulator with the Walbro. I recommend it be placed at the CP3.

And when I say Walbro, I mean the 392. There are several Walbro fuel pumps. They are not all created equal.

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge at the CP3 ?
Old 01-15-2006, 10:47 AM

I understood it quite well, actually. And I'm surprised that Jess would feel safe with moving up to the Holley Black pump. It's only rated for 14psi max. The only Holley carb pumps that can push 20psi are the 375 and 525. They are "MONSTER" pumps to say the least. Drag race only and probably over $400 or more each (I don't have my Summit or Jegs catalog handy). They'll handle over 1500hp on gas or alcohol.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:51 AM
Banned

"I understood it quite well, actually."

I'm glad to hear that. The message is starting to get through.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:00 PM

I understood it quite well, actually. And I'm surprised that Jess would feel safe with moving up to the Holley Black pump. It's only rated for 14psi max. The only Holley carb pumps that can push 20psi are the 375 and 525. They are "MONSTER" pumps to say the least. Drag race only and probably over $400 or more each (I don't have my Summit or Jegs catalog handy). They'll handle over 1500hp on gas or alcohol.
yes is know the blue wont push the 20 under normal conditions,the black wont be as hard a push to get it.i do not have a regulator on the truck currently but i will be adding oneto get the disired pressures set,i still contend that the holleys will move more fuel at the pressures they work in than the walbro will its optimal pressure,as far as the 20 psi i can even work that on the blue,i will boost a pump charge it to get my results,i am looking for flow only as i believe that to be most important,also 20 psi is about as high as you need to go wit out starting to get some chance of rough idle.many trucks duramaxes at least have had rough idle when inlet pressure exceeds 23 psi...i have the number off the page you linked for the walbro and the pump and part number.i hope to use nipples and fittings i have on hand and will fab a p[ressur gauge to runthe tests if the walbro suplies more fuel i will do the trick install,if not its the local classifieds
Old 01-15-2006, 08:17 PM

Cool. Please post results as soon as possible. I hope to have time this week to install the Walbro, but that may change.
For its size, the Walbro seems like a pretty stout piece. Much different than the old reliable standby Holley design.
And one final comment; As stated before, the Walbro at 20psi is only at about 25% duty rating while the Holley at 20psi is beyond 100% duty. One can reasonably assume the Walbro will outlive the Holley by a long-shot. I think that is Superduty's main argument. A solid argument at that.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:25 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)

Besides I have a new moderator watching this thread and he is just itching to use one of those new locks he bought at the Hardware store...let's not give him an opportunity to use one on this thread

Did somebody call ? Don't worry I got my eye on this thread. Need the info anyway for when my current LP goes dead. Thanks to Superduty I will be putting in something way better when the time comes.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:04 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
He's right, the new guys are always eager to carve another notch in their mouse........

Quick Reply: What is so great about FASS ???