General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warranty

Thought this was kind of interesting. Background: I bought a 2012 Ram 3500 Dually brand new in July of 2013. Got a great deal on a new truck that I plan on towing with in the future. For right now, I don’t drive it much and only have 20k on it. Even though the warranty doesn’t expire until next July, because it sat on the lot for a year and a half, I keep getting warrant renewal phone calls now.

I was driving home, stuck in traffic, and I received another phone call for warranty renewal. I thought, ok what the hell let me hear what your selling. A four year 100,000 mile warranty was quoted to cost me $5,300. I said that seemed kind of high for the kind of miles I planned on driving it, he actually agreed and requoted me $4,900 if I could keep the miles to around 75k.

He already lost me with the price but after this next part, he really lost me. I explained that I was waiting to do some upgrades and was waiting for my current warranty to expire. All that I planned on doing was a new air intake and maybe an EPA friendly (non EGR and DPFdelete) tuner. Not surprisingly he said that any performance upgrade that I make would void the warranty. What was strange is that he said any performance upgrade would void the complete warranty. I asked him "you mean if I install an aftermarket air intake and my radio breaks, you will not repair it?" He said that is correct, any upgrade would void the whole warranty. I said that I thought a warranty claim can only be denied if it showed that a part that I installed was the reason for the damage. He said nope...you add anything that increases HP and you lose your coverage. Just an FYI.