Notices
General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Warning (Fleetguard filter)

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well i read on here that napa fuel filters flowed better than fleetguard. i was just having a problem with fuel pressure guage so i changed the fuel filter from the napa to a fleetguard and the guage is not only fine but is even more steady than the napa one and it was cheaper through cummins. i also changed my oil filter 2 hands off 2 hands on and no leaks you are not supposed to use a wrench to tighten the filter back on hand tighten only
Old 05-26-2004, 06:23 PM

Mopars are painted Fleetguards. You have to pay for the paint job.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:34 PM
Banned

Wow I've never used a wrench to tighten any diesel or gas filter. Mine don't leak, only had a couple on the powerstrokes leak. A leak is if the oil hits the ground. You just have sweating around the seal. Hardly anything to worry about. Have had fleetguard on my truck since the first oil change. No problems here.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"...you are not supposed to use a wrench to tighten the filter back on hand tighten only."

Hmmm. So if you're not supposed to use an OIL FILTER WRENCH on any oil filter, why do they make them in the first place?

chaikwa.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:32 PM

I just put my mopar filter on and I hand tightened it. It fit nice and snug.

I guess it depends on strength. I have a strong grip and can get it on tight.

Sometimes I just use the wrench to take it off.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:02 PM

I've only used the Fleetguard Stratapore filters put on hand tight. Never had a single leak. I personally wouldn't run anything else.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by chaikwa

Hmmm. So if you're not supposed to use an OIL FILTER WRENCH on any oil filter, why do they make them in the first place?

chaikwa.

Oil filter REMOVAL. The heat/cool cycles can get them stuck on pretty good.

The industry standard is lube gasket, spin on until gasket contacts the flange, tighten 3/4 turn more. Most people should be able to do that by hand.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:32 PM

I use a strap wrench....never seen ANY leaks from the filter (FLEETGUARD or nothing).

I second Phox's thought. Is it possible that there is an old gasket stuck on the engine??
Old 05-26-2004, 10:40 PM

Actually,

The fleetguard gasket did stick, but I noticed it when I took the filter off.

I just pulled the gasket off and cleaned the surface.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:04 PM

Its real important that you dont have 2 gaskets on there....Ive heard of one case where it caused engine failure due to losing all the oil.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
.....speaking of oil changes

I had a good customer come in last week claiming he had blown up his Cummins. I thought he was bs'ing but he wasn't. He said there was oil all over and the engine made a funny noise and quit. I was a bit worried about this as I knew he usually had service work done where I work. The truck was towed in. First thing I saw was the filter wasn't ours and checked the oil and there wasn't any. I crawled under the truck for a look and saw that there was a small dent in the bottom edge of the filter. I showed my service advisor and carefully removed the filter. The filter was cracked where the dent was and pumped all the oil out. Customer had changed his own oil and installed the filter with a strap wrench of some kind. 2003 truck with 17 K on it and he just bought himself an engine. Of course he's po'ed at us because it isn't warranty and had it towed away. Made me sick to see that happen.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:25 PM

Ouch !!!!
Old 05-26-2004, 11:53 PM

If you lubed the gasket before installation then the oil you saw may have been some excess oil. If oil is not running down the filter and dripping then I don't consider it a leak. I serviced a lot of vehicles when I worked in a shop back in the 60s and from experience if a filter leaks it is going to make a mess.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:54 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hand tighten on.....use wrench to remove....lube seal with oil.....always use Fleetguard....never had a leak.

That's my method.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hand tighten then half turn with an oil filter wrench, use fleetgaurd filters and never had a leak.

Quick Reply: Warning (Fleetguard filter)