General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

VW diesel ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 09:48 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ruquik
I would diffinetly get a 2004 V10 TDI Touareg if i had the money. 310 hp and 535 ft/lbs of tourque can't be wrong. Only $32k on ebay.
That's all they make?

Pah, Dodge trucks make more than that.
(And with 4 less cylinders, to boot...)
Old 07-31-2006, 09:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Begle1
That's all they make?

Pah, Dodge trucks make more than that.
(And with 4 less cylinders, to boot...)
Yeah, that's all the power they make!

So...are any of the big 3 making a SUV with a diesel? Jeep doesn't count...they quit offering the CRD....ok, maybe they kinda count with advertising the cherokee (i think) with a CRD.

Tony
Old 07-31-2006, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bulabula
I've got 2000 miles on my new '06 Jetta TDI (package 1 and 5 speed manual transmission) and am totally pleased with it so far. Its averaging 40 mpg, best tank of 47 and worst tank of 37. My Suzuki doesn't get that kind of mileage.
ours started out around your mileage numbers, it will keep getting better!
Old 07-31-2006, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Buckshotmckee
Each injector has it's own pump. There is a lift pump that supplies the fuel to the fuel rail.
Umm, Huh?

Ive been under the hood of these a few times and have yet to see what you describe.

Looks just like my CTD, injection pump with lines going to each injector from said injection pump.

Unless by saying "lift pump" you are meaning IP.

Even then there is no fuel rail. Lines directly to the injector.

dan
Old 07-31-2006, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by zukgod1
Umm, Huh?

Ive been under the hood of these a few times and have yet to see what you describe.

Looks just like my CTD, injection pump with lines going to each injector from said injection pump.

Unless by saying "lift pump" you are meaning IP.

Even then there is no fuel rail. Lines directly to the injector.

dan
On yours you are correct. 2004 and up VW diesels have the new Pumpe-duce engine in them, different fuel system.

Tye
Old 08-01-2006, 04:48 AM

+1 what Tye said. These engines are known as PD engines. Each injector/pump is driven off the camshaft, and with that goes a very strict oil requirement from VW to use the required/approved oil or risk voiding the warranty.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:26 AM

Wow! no kidding.

I'll bet that’s gonna suck for maintenance purpose’s.
I would like to see under the hood on the newer engine.
Is VW still manufacturing the engines or is the entire engine outsourced now?

So each injector has it's own pump.. That's different. I guess the Germans have been building diesels for a long time we can only assume they know what thier doing.

Thanks for the info.

dan
Old 08-02-2006, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by zukgod1
Wow! no kidding.

I'll bet that’s gonna suck for maintenance purpose’s.
I would like to see under the hood on the newer engine.
Is VW still manufacturing the engines or is the entire engine outsourced now?

So each injector has it's own pump.. That's different. I guess the Germans have been building diesels for a long time we can only assume they know what thier doing.

Thanks for the info.

dan
No, the 505.01 VW oil requirement isn't a big deal, there are different labels available, but you are not supposed to use M1 Truck & SUV, Amsoil, etc.... I guess if you use un-approved oil, there could be accelerated wear on the injector cam lobes that wouldn't be covered under warranty. OCI's are 10k after the first two 5k OCI's (I think). I would bet that M1 et al would be good enough, but that the corporate powers don't see the need to spend the $$$ to be VW 505.01 certified. But I'm not going to be the guinea pig.

I haven't done the first oil change, and to even see the engine you have to remove either the top engine cover, or bottom engine cover. I will have the dealer change it out the first time, but there are two methods, either remove the bottom cover and drain it, or suck the old oil out of the dipstick tube. I'm not sure what method I will use when the time comes. I don't have a Pella vacuum yet.

I think they're still VW engines, they're not selling them here in '07 but they do sell like hotcakes in the rest of the world. The new common rail engine will be introduced in the '08 model year.

I think the only "bad" part for some folks is that these newer TDI PD engines don't take to bombing like the pre-'04 versions with the ECM controlled fueling. It doesn't bother me since I bought this thing for mileage and a new car warranty; if I want more performance I have another car, truck and motorycycle to get my jolly's from.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:56 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
bulabula,

Removing the bottom cover is turning out to be a major pain. Either the dealer charges way too much for the service and you have to plan ahead and then wait, or the oil change monkeys can't figure out how to put the cover back on, or that they should use all the screws (I think 9 on the Passat). So I removed mine and am cutting an access panel near the drain plug so I can just leave it in place and chage it easily. Even the lube places charge extra to R&R the cover. It's just another of the little VW quirks that we all love to hate.

I also had a big argument with the dealer about oil, so be careful. They asked me what kind of oil I wanted at the dealer and I told them I thought only one type was approved and I wanted the oil required to keep my warrantee in force. So after the work they had added about $50. to the quote for synthetic oil that was on special request by me. What? Well, finally they told me that even if they put the non synthetic oil in (which they normally do) and I have trouble, it's my responsibility. My next call was to VW directly. It seems the dealer knows less than anyone about the products they are supposed to be experts on. They even told me that they don't see many diesels and can't be expected to know everything. I love that one. I like this car and plan to keep it a long time. And even going to the dealer doesn't guarantee good service. Sheesh. Why must it be so hard to get a simple oil change?

Wetspirit
Old 08-02-2006, 11:18 PM

My dealer tried to sell me the wrong oil. I had to point out to him that I needed the 505.01 spec oil. Another parts guy overheard the conversation and corrected the problem.

I would suggest being absolutely certain of what they are putting in your car if you are going to let someone else change the oil. If they put in the wrong oil and you don't document it, you could be on the hook if you have engine problems.

I just got finished with my first oil change. It was pretty easy. The bottom engine cover is kind of a pain, and I need to get a large socket to remove the oil filter housing a little easier.

Brad
Old 08-03-2006, 09:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm. Sounds almost like dealing with a Dodge dealer on parts or service for a CTD.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Wetspirit
bulabula,

Removing the bottom cover is turning out to be a major pain. Either the dealer charges way too much for the service and you have to plan ahead and then wait, or the oil change monkeys can't figure out how to put the cover back on, or that they should use all the screws (I think 9 on the Passat). So I removed mine and am cutting an access panel near the drain plug so I can just leave it in place and chage it easily. Even the lube places charge extra to R&R the cover. It's just another of the little VW quirks that we all love to hate.
<snip>
Wetspirit
Wetspirit, thats a great idea on cutting an access point. When you finish the access cut, could you send me the location of where you think a 2-3" hole saw cut would open a spot to drain the oil from?

I haven't been under the front of the car yet - been having too much behind the wheel.