General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Truckers' opinion of diesel pollution control.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 02:01 PM
FAY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truckers' opinion of diesel pollution control.

Quote below is taken from a reporter's interview with a long haul truck driver featured in the Edmonton Journal on Monday, July 30/07.

.... His conversation then turns to new clean-burning diesel engines, which he claims cut emissions in half but burn twice the fuel.

"These new engines, with all of the technology, are one of the biggest jokes going," he says, "Ask any trucker out here." ....
Old 07-31-2007, 02:19 PM

Thats because of what all is involved in making those emissions stuff running. Seriously, how does that make sense to people?

What happens when we can't leave home because we might kill a fly or a molecule?
Old 07-31-2007, 02:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah everytime they add on more electronics and emissions controls it kills reliability. Theres gotta be reliability and simplicity in this stuff for it to be desirable to consumers. Right now its just junk.
Makes me glad I have a mechanical pump and no EGR
Old 07-31-2007, 04:17 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The emissions card is soo full of holes.. Sure our PPM is down for NOX but now we are burining 25% more fuel? uh, 25% more effluent with less PPM is a wash.. Thanks to the big oil companies for steering the EPA mandates...
Old 07-31-2007, 06:05 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah it almost seems like a conspiracy. I'm sure oil companies aren't complaining. It almost is confusing.

But really, pain comes with progress. I look under the hood of an 80's chevy truck and see spegetti wires and hoses everywhere. I look under the hood of a mid-late 90's chevy and see the simpilist engine swap ever. And.. an additional 100hp.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:12 PM

i was listening to the radio the other day and truckers were calling in about pollution on guy called in and was saying if you put a cat in a pillow and put is up to the exhaust of a gas powered car it will die BUT if you put a cat in a pillow case on a diesel engine it wont die IT MIGHT BE REALLY SICK BUT IT WONT DIE and the funniest thing is by the sound in the guys voice you kind of think he tried it
Old 07-31-2007, 09:57 PM

Keep in mind all the raw materials in order to make and add on all the extra emission equipment also.

There is almost no way right now we are making much of an improvement.

Running small generators in big rigs instead of idling all night, now thats makes sense to me. Lowering speed limits to conserve gas would make sense too. Adding a bunch of worthless garbage to appease a few lobbyists and screw the average person out of money and tax dollars. I guess you could say "priceless" by now.

If you want to recall "emissions" look back at the early eighty's and recall those "emissions" and how great they were! They disappeared too.

One step forward twenty two steps back I guess...

Have a good one, I'm done ranting....
Old 08-01-2007, 10:13 AM

Here's the thing, sure fuel consumption is increased roughly 10-15%, but what you don't realize is that emissions is cut drastically. From the early 90's diesels to the latest 07 and later, NOx, Hydrocarbons, and particulate matter have decreased a thousand fold. So to cut pollutants from hundreds of grams/mile to less than one has only taken a slight increase in fuel. There is a much bigger picture. The new diesels are so clean that the exhaust they put out is cleaner than the air they take in. This isn't just rumor either, i've worked with the numbers and I think diesels have come a really long way, but now they have to work on making these systems 100% reliable.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:20 AM

when i switched trucks from an 03 volvo vn 650 to an 06 volvo vn 650, i lost 1.1 mpg, in all driving conditions. went from 7.4 mpg in the 03, to 6.3 mpg in the 06. oh, and my egr cooler is now plugged, hopefully they will have it done by the time i want to leave today. i drive a company truck, don't pay for fuel, so i don't really care about any of this, but i'm just saying.....
Old 08-01-2007, 10:25 AM

new diesels are so clean that the exhaust they put out is cleaner than the air they take in.

i just can't believe that. the 07 volvos we have got in have all the latest emissions stuff on them (DPF, egr, etc), but i still won't suck on the stack.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:37 AM

I uesed to work for the company that builds the cabs for the over the road mack trucks. When they started talking about the 07 emmisions in around 04 they had a video of one of the garbage trucks with the dpf and held a white hankercheif to the exaust outlet then put it on the floor. When they removed the hankercheif it was still white no soot at all. Let me put in at the end of my stack and then floorit and see what happens.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:51 PM

wouldent you get less emisions if they jesed the ulra low sulfer fuel and not the diesel particulate filter wich i seriously doubt helps anyway since when it starts getting full the engine dumps raw fuel into the exaust to BURN it out so if its burning it any way why make us pay for all that crap just to burn it all in a big chunk instead of a little at a time. and as far as soot gies its jest dust same as you get from a bag of charcol for your grill all the bad stuff you get from the exaust you cant see
Old 08-01-2007, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by stuckey200224
and as far as soot gies its jest dust same as you get from a bag of charcol for your grill all the bad stuff you get from the exaust you cant see
Yes, and based on coal-miner death rates from the turn of the century, you don't want to breathe that stuff, either.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:31 AM

I taked to a Cummins service manager several months ago about the new 2007 engines. He said that he is seeing more owner operators instead of trading in their truck instead buying a NEW (older spec) engine instead!
Old 08-05-2007, 02:13 AM

The new emission controlled engines will get better. This is just the beginning. I'm sure lots of engineering has gone into the new motors so I guarantee their gross pollution is less than before. I doubt they consume much more fuel either, if any. Unfortunately, emission control has taken a start. Everyone knew it will come someday.

Quick Reply: Truckers' opinion of diesel pollution control.