General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Toyota Tundra, Acura Diesels a go

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 11:12 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RickG
Don't expect to get service for a 4500 or 5500 at any just Dodge dealer . Like you said , any Toyota dealer that sold the truck would service it but Toyota isn't about to require their dealership service departments to accommodate a truck that size when Hino dealerships could handle it . Toyota dealerships aren't hurting for sales . They don't need and don't want a truck that size .
I disagree. Any dealer would want any product that would make a profit. Until now, and I suspect even now, diesel pickups are selling quite well. Toyota can and will require their dealers to do anything they want, within reason. Toyota has a history of entering markets held by the big three and taking a chunk out of them with a good product. The 3/4 and one ton diesel pickup market won't be an exception.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by duratothemax
thank-you!

I know its really hard to put yourself in the "general market's" shoes, but there is a reason toyota hasnt already made this truck. They are in it for the most money. If there seriously was a huge market for this truck, it would be in production.

ben
Toyota wasn't in the Luxury car market before the 1990's. Was there no market for a luxury car before that?

Toyota wasn't in the full size truck market until the 1990s. Was there no market for a fullsize pickup before that? Toyota can and will build a 3/4 ton truck, with a diesel. Its simply a matter of time and pricing, and it may well come through with all that gusto the show truck has.

The Viper, Challenger and Charger were all concepts that made it to production, there is no reason to believe Toyota won't take a shot at any market they choose.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:22 PM

Accept that the majority of the diesel truck owners are construction workers and farmers and what not and if they are gonna plunk down 50 grand I think they will stay with something tested in time. The cars you mentioned were concepts but then again so where the 4 wheel steer, 2 engine jeep thingy, the 4 wheel, viper powered, motor cycle and the chrysler atlantic boat. Concepts are just a way to generate interest and test out peoples response.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tristan21
Accept that the majority of the diesel truck owners are construction workers and farmers and what not and if they are gonna plunk down 50 grand I think they will stay with something tested in time. The cars you mentioned were concepts but then again so where the 4 wheel steer, 2 engine jeep thingy, the 4 wheel, viper powered, motor cycle and the chrysler atlantic boat. Concepts are just a way to generate interest and test out peoples response.
So Toyota isn't a time tested company? The Duramax wasn't time tested, yet it seems to have sold well.

Yes, concepts are a wayto guage peoples interest.... and concepts do go to production.

So what is the difference between a Hino undercarriage from say, a Dodge 3500 series set of axles and frame?

Sorry, I don't think the Toyota is that far fetched an idea, and I think Toyota sees a market it would like to be part of. Just as Dodge had to make a splash to get into the truck market at higher numbers in 1994 (when suddenly the numbers of Dodge fans tripled, much to the amusement of those who had driven them for generations) Toyota certainly knows it has to make a huge show of jumping into the market.

That concept does all that, and then some.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:24 PM

i tried posting this in another thread about toyota diesels, but I dont think it got the justice it deserved. I welcome all toyota diesels coming over....those things are hardcore, I mean, nothing against the dodge, I love it to pieces, and the toyota (at least a tacoma) has nothing when it comes to towing capacity, but any truck that can drive to the north pole (yes, the north pole) is worth a second look:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eDob1_FRLUw&feature=related

their diesel trucks are rock.

the video is like 8 parts long, but worth the time it takes to watch. enjoy.

edit--

this is part seven of eight, it has some great scenes that really capture the idea of all eight segments, that way you dont have to watch them all if you dont want to.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:43 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Tundra and Sequioia production to be slashed

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...8/newsletter01

Hopefully they won't cut the diesel out of their future as well.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HOLY THREAD REVIVAL BATMAN!!!!!

5 years later and no diesel options in any of the trucks mentioned in the first post. Tundra redesign for 2014 and the same power-train options as 2006 model.

On the upside the Titan by Nissan is getting the V8 Cummins that was slated to go in the 1500 Ram back in 2008 that went to the wayside during the bailout crisis.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Toyota is thinking about it.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/toyo...or-tundra.html
Old 02-13-2014, 01:43 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Tundra to share Titan 5.0 Cummins

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2014/02...a-cummins.html

Nissan's gotta' be hating that news....