General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Toyota Tundra, Acura Diesels a go

Old 01-25-2008, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A little off topic... but I say Toyota starts putting diesels in their FJ's, maybe a big 4 cylinder or a small V-6... with that things off road capabilities, the mileage you'd get from an engine like that, and its rugged look, that would sell.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:38 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Rumor is they will have a small 4cy pass diesel out before the Tundra, at least thats what I heard at training back in Dec. As far as the Tundra, it`s a pretty nice ride as G1625S said...just not my personal cup `o` tea.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:44 AM

That Tundra dually was in Diesel Power's last issue. That big 8.1(I think) is a motor they stuffed in it for the shows. As I understand its not the intended powerplant.

Nissan and Toyota are thinking about putting the Caterpillar/Ford 3.0L V6 HSDI motor in the Titans and Tundras.

Other then the 4.2L V6/5.6L V8 Cummins and the 4.5L V8 Duramax I'm liking the 4.4L V8 Lion motor from Ford/Peugeot Citroen... the thing puts out 350 hp and 500 ft lbs. Fords talking about putting that in exploders.... man these light weight vehicles with powerful diesels will me FUN.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:36 PM

If the new FJ40 had an inline 5 (about 3L) with turbo (like some MB's I've had) or even a big enough inline 4 -- I would consider trading my diesel VW for one. I'd test drive it anyway.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:35 AM

In asia the Toyota Prado (Lexus GX 470) and Surf (4-Runner) came with the Toyota 1KZ TE diesel engine 3 liter 4cyl but It was only rated at 125hp 220lbs tq but then the 6.2 diesel in my 91 Chevy 2500 only had 165hp and 260lbs tq. I am also keeping an eye on the possible diesel Tundra, curious about what engine.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:47 PM

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/10/30/s...dually-diesel/

its here and i want one comes with a EATON 5 speed
Old 03-07-2008, 04:31 PM
Chapter President

^^^^^ not gonna be that way, that was for SEMA only. I believe.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by tinkerin-w-stuf
Here is a monster Tundra diesel dually I saw at the National Western Stock Show in Denver last night. It had an 8.something liter diesel but the specs were still only like 300hp and 600ft/lbs. It also said it was expected to tow 24,000 lbs. I wish I would have got a picture of the tire size, these things weren't your standard pickup tire.
There was an article in one of the mags I get a month or two ago. This truck has a Hino medium duty 8.0 liter commercial grade diesel. The tires are standard heavy truck on 22.5 inch wheels. They can use either a metric radial or the standard 11:00x22.5.

These tires can support 5500 lbs. each in dual installations and 6500 lbs. in single installations. The dual tires on the drive axle of this truck can support a total of 22,000 lbs.

Do not be mislead by the 300HP and 600 ft lb figures. This is a different engine. Don't think in terms of gas. For example the small cam NTC 350 Cummins was 350 HP and 1050 ft lbs of torque. However, for many years this was considered the starting point for 'high performance' heavy diesel. The NTC 350 pulled everything right through 100,000 lbs. It was a common long haul engine at 80,000 lbs.

The article I had also put the GCW at 25,000 lbs which placed it 500 lbs. above the Ford F450. Toyota is not aiming this truck at the '3' series (1 ton) trucks. It significantly out classes them. This truck will be stronger and heavier the whole way starting with the frame. It will have a true medium duty drive train to handle the engine including a medium duty rearend if for no other reason it will have to support 800-1,000 lbs. of tires and wheels alone.

If you understand diesel - nothing beats cubic inch. This engine should out pull the 6.7 CTD, especially if you give them equal 25,000 lb loads.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:20 AM

Wake up guys . . This was a one off show truck . You'll never see a Tundra produced with this drivetrain . They had to hack the firewall so bad to get the engine in they couldn't have functional A/C . Actually they didn't put this engine in a Tundra . They put a Tundra modified body on a Hino chassis .
Old 03-09-2008, 08:39 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
The latest I have heard is that any Dually trucks are on "hold" due to the fuel $$$ situation Also heard they are scaling back production at the San Antonio plant for the same reason, but a diesel (likely the 4.5L v8 used in the Land Cruiser) is very likely in the next year or so.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1BAD4X4
That Tundra dually was in Diesel Power's last issue. That big 8.1(I think) is a motor they stuffed in it for the shows. As I understand its not the intended powerplant.

Nissan and Toyota are thinking about putting the Caterpillar/Ford 3.0L V6 HSDI motor in the Titans and Tundras.

Other then the 4.2L V6/5.6L V8 Cummins and the 4.5L V8 Duramax I'm liking the 4.4L V8 Lion motor from Ford/Peugeot Citroen... the thing puts out 350 hp and 500 ft lbs. Fords talking about putting that in exploders.... man these light weight vehicles with powerful diesels will me FUN.

Nissan is reported to be doing a small truck deal with Chrysler. If that does happen, a Ford engine in the Nissan pickup will be unlikely.

The fun will end when they start to break parts.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Doctor Detroit
If you understand diesel - nothing beats cubic inch. This engine should out pull the 6.7 CTD, especially if you give them equal 25,000 lb loads.
Sorry, but thats not exactly true. A gasser needs cubic inches to increase the amount of fuel it can burn in any given power cycle. This is because its Air/Fuel ratio is "fixed" at 14:1 or so. Therefore, more CID in gasoline terms is more power, and aside from minor amounts of boost (12-15PSI), nothing but CID will make more power in a gasser. This puts aside all other mods except CID, since those mods deal with efficiency, not swept volume or fuel ratio.

A diesel varies its A/F ratio, and therefore, can pull more power out of a set CID simply by upping the amount of fuel injected. A diesel can also withstand double the boost (up to 30PSI), making it possible to inject far more fuel for any given CID.

Thus, if we pit a 300hp, 600ftlb 6.7L engine against an 8.1L with the same power output, the performance difference will be marginal. In the end, it will depend more on the displacement geometry than the exact displacement, and the gearing the engines are using to get power to the ground.

This does not take away from the fact that the Toyota will be a formidible competitor in the diesel pickup arena.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RickG
Wake up guys . . This was a one off show truck . You'll never see a Tundra produced with this drivetrain . They had to hack the firewall so bad to get the engine in they couldn't have functional A/C . Actually they didn't put this engine in a Tundra . They put a Tundra modified body on a Hino chassis .
Toyota didn't get to be the largest without pushing the envelope and coming up with good ideas. If they can redesign the cab of the Tundra to fit that chassis and price it competitively, thats exactly what it'll bring to market.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:29 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MAX340
Sorry, but thats not exactly true. A gasser needs cubic inches to increase the amount of fuel it can burn in any given power cycle. This is because its Air/Fuel ratio is "fixed" at 14:1 or so. Therefore, more CID in gasoline terms is more power, and aside from minor amounts of boost (12-15PSI), nothing but CID will make more power in a gasser. This puts aside all other mods except CID, since those mods deal with efficiency, not swept volume or fuel ratio.

A diesel varies its A/F ratio, and therefore, can pull more power out of a set CID simply by upping the amount of fuel injected. A diesel can also withstand double the boost (up to 30PSI), making it possible to inject far more fuel for any given CID.

Thus, if we pit a 300hp, 600ftlb 6.7L engine against an 8.1L with the same power output, the performance difference will be marginal. In the end, it will depend more on the displacement geometry than the exact displacement, and the gearing the engines are using to get power to the ground.

This does not take away from the fact that the Toyota will be a formidible competitor in the diesel pickup arena.

Example: Furd's 6.0 had better numbers than the 7.3 it replaced. That is, if you could find a 6.0 in running condition...
Old 03-10-2008, 11:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SOhappy
Example: Furd's 6.0 had better numbers than the 7.3 it replaced. That is, if you could find a 6.0 in running condition...
And for some reason, the 5.9 Cummins always had enough power to match a 7.3, even though it "gave away" 1.4 litres. IMO, the inline six had better "geometry" or layout of its bore and stroke, and thus could pull better.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Toyota Tundra, Acura Diesels a go