General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Towing to earn some extra money?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 06:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Towing to earn some extra money?

I've got a 2006 Ram QC 2500 5.9, owned since new. It's purely recreational for me and I drive it to work. I've been wondering lately if there was some way I could use it on occasional weekends to earn some extra money. I've got 3 young boys and seems like all our extra money goes to food. :/

I was wondering how someone gets into moving travel trailers for RV dealerships? I guess I could call around and try to find out, but thought maybe I'd ask here. Thanks.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:45 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I looked into it a while back. Most of what I saw wanted huge insurance policies, trucks that were less than three years old, and for you to be more than full time. Something you might try, is an add on your local Craigslist. Last summer I moved a 5'er for a guy that had it in a local park and needed it moved to another. He was an ex of one of my wife's fiends. It was going to cost him a fortune to have the local rv sales place do it. She suggested to him to call me. I did it real quick on the way into town. Wasn't sure what to charge so he gave me $250 (his offer) and said that I saved him a whole lot more than that.

I was concerned about the condition and the registration of his rv but it was practically brand new. I'd be leary of moving a junk pile with bad tires and outdated registration.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:15 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
That's good advice from 1-2-3.

I got a job moving a 24' enclosed trailer to Spokane a few years back offered to me for $500, then found out I was expected to have it back to Marysville the day after I helped the owner unload it, so it isn't always as good as it sounds. I was going to drop the trailer, get my $$ and head east to kalispell for a week with my folks.

Honestly never considered extra insurance or anything...you're in CA so you may want to heed that advice above...
Old 11-17-2015, 09:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I looked into RV toting about 10 years ago.
RUN!!!!
They pay decent on the way out, but you're on your own coming back. If they find another trailer for you to move to get closer to your next outbound, they pay about half rate. Wouldn't pay your fuel.
The guys I knew who were making money at it, would deliver, run home illegal, make a run or 2 for Schneider on a dedicated account, then once the RV logbook caught back up, run another RV.
And of course one job didn't find its way onto the other job's logbook.

One company even had a list of modifications they wanted done to your truck and had a shop they wanted you to have them done at.
Star Fleet RV was one of the companies. They were all out of the Goshen- South Bend area, where most RVs seem to be made.