General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Synthetics

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 11:02 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Perhaps....but 2.5 gallons isn't enough. You need three gallons. The only way I can get Amsoil is to order it online and pay for shipping....which makes it quite a bit more than buying M1 T&SUV off the shelf. Plus there's that whole API certified thing.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Hoss
I prefer Mobil 1 Truck & SUV (or Delvac 1) simply because it is easier to get. I can get 12 quarts off the shelves of Walmart for about $55. Amsoil is impossible to get off the shelf locally and by the time you pay for shipping it's significantly more expensive than the Mobil 1.

I run Mobil 1 in my engine and in the differential. I need to change the tranny fluid, but I haven't decided what I want to use in it yet.
If your a preferred customer you can get shipped to your door step one case (1 quart bottles) of AMSOIL for $55 USD. Yes it's more expensive and yes to offset the higher cost you have to become a preferred customer but it's a choice thing. I really don't know much about the Mobile 1 oil other than I have ran it in our gassers and never had a complaint but then again my wife does not keep a vehicle long enough to really test it's longevity (typically gets a newer vehicle every 2-3 years).

Now I did a little test on my last truck I was getting my oil sampled by Blackstone labs here in fort wayne at every oil change and they were reporting some upper end wear and cylinder wear on my old 7.3 IH IDI then I made the switch to AMSOIL and the old man down at Blackstone about chewed my butt off for making the switch to syn oils - he said that I was doing nothing but throwing my money away he said that there was no need to switch from tried and true Shell Rotella. He said that the AMSOIL will not help in any way shape or form. So I left feeling sort of bad like I had wasted my money but here I sat with newly installed AMSOIL and 2 more cases sitting on the shelf at home...

Then when 3 k miles rolled around (same intervall as I had been using for shell) I took in a sample of the AMSOIL and his response on the sheet was "I don't know what you did but the wear levels have dropped considerably - we know it's not the syn oils but whatever your doing keep it up" welll... hee hee I had done nothing but install syn oil so that right there showed me it must be better so I kept up with the oil sample and the wear levels stayed lower... I was sold from that point forward then went ahead after a few other oil changes /samples I installed a dual bypass filter kit and the samples started looking even better...

I have not tested any other brands of synethics so I can't comment on them but I have a feeling that most all other syns will perform just as good. But since I have the proof is in the pudding sheet from AMSOIL that is what I run. I was told by a buddy that runs race cars that the tranny fluid they sell is good, as he was going through bearings and races in his funny car at the end of every run - you know the drill get done with run yank tranny apart, replace clutches, bearings, races and such he said he was at a race doing his thing in the pits when an old man stopped by and said "I see you at the end of every race replacing all this stuff why don't you use AMSOIL and stop doing that - you will be able to run them bearings for more than one run"... He figured what the heck I don't have much to loose because I'm replacing them anyways... well he said he made the switch and now he can run them 3-4 runs on the weekend before the bearings and races need to be replaced. That was what made me try syn oils. Figured that if it puts up with the abuse that he throws at it then it ought to be a pretty darn good product for me... and my reports showed it...

I don't sell the stuff because I don't agree with the MLM thing but I do like the product. But like I said I don't really think you can go wrong with any syn oil. I have seen where Mobile 1 is marketing the extended oil change thing now I wonder if they have carried this over to the diesel oils....
Old 05-24-2005, 07:51 AM

So how do you become a preferred customer??
Old 05-26-2005, 05:43 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So how do you become a preferred customer??
Preferred customer gets you basically dealer prices but you can't sell to others. Dealership is only like $10 more per year and you can sell to others and actually make a comission too. I usually sell enough in a year to pay for the dealership and that's about it unless somebody wants more stuff.
You can go to www.amsoil.com and sign up for either way you like.

Here is the page for sign up.

https://www.amsoil.com/AmsoilLogin/L...CustomerType=3
Old 05-26-2005, 07:52 AM

I think I'll just stick with Mobil 1 and Walmart.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:21 AM

Hoss the Delvac 1/T&SUV you get at walmart is just about the best diesel oil out there. However since you live in TX which doesn't get very cold, you could run the Amsoil 15w40 HDD/Marine oil. It works out to around $15/gal compared to the d1 which is typically closer to 20. If I didn't live up north I'd run it. For colder areas the 5w40 has a significant advantage over 15w40.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:34 PM
Administrator

I think I'll just stick with Mobil 1 and Walmart.

Nothing wrong with that at all.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:04 PM

Hi Guys,
I lost my phone and internet for a couple of days due to an overeager dozer operator. I was happy to see all the responces to my thread. I buy my oil from a NOCO oil company that I use at one of our plants. I just picked up 2 cases (6 quarts ea.)of Mobil 1 truck and suv for $52.00 and he threw in a free Mobil 1 oil filter. I never even heard of a Mobil 1 oil filter. I have the gear oil coming next week.
Thanks for all the input!
Topper
Old 05-28-2005, 10:00 PM
Tire Hater

I'd use the Mobile 1 M-108 filter in my evo, but didn't know they had them for the Cummins. What model # is it?
Old 05-28-2005, 10:47 PM

Originally posted by Lightman
Hoss the Delvac 1/T&SUV you get at walmart is just about the best diesel oil out there. However since you live in TX which doesn't get very cold, you could run the Amsoil 15w40 HDD/Marine oil. It works out to around $15/gal compared to the d1 which is typically closer to 20. If I didn't live up north I'd run it. For colder areas the 5w40 has a significant advantage over 15w40.
I use the Amsoil 15w40 HDD/Marine oil year round. And, it's gets significantly colder up here than your part of the world. No offense, just trying to make a point that it's good stuff. I have no need to run a lighter oil in the winter than the 15w40 even when it dips down to -60 Celcius on occassion at locations North of me yet.

Where you are Lightman, I'd have no reservation about running the 15w40 HDD/Marine year round. Wintertime, I wouldn't even lose sleep about forgetting to plug the truck in with that oil. It'll fire - my Ford company truck does all the time (that's saying allot for the oil and not the truck for sure!) - often, there is nowhere to plug in - it growls, but still fires.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:14 AM

Ok, let me put my .02 in....

The Best oil to use is what ever you feel comfortable using. NUFF SAID
Old 05-29-2005, 10:54 AM

Since you drive so many miles and I assume many highway miles, you should do well to get a bypass oil filter and do extended drains. Do a search and start reading.
The Cummins seems to do well with extended drains by the people that try it. You could easily extend oil changes to every six months or longer.
I will pass 50,000 miles on my current oil in the next month or so and according to my last oil analysis I will probably leave it in and keep going. With all the miles you drive extended drains just make sense.