General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Switched: Rotella to Vavoline

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switched: Rotella to Vavoline

Never thought I would switch from rotella 15-40 dino oil to anything else but: I did.. After reading all those threads about CJ-4 base stock,and not being able to find surplus CI-4 rotella(except my empty jugs from years past).

So while at the cummins dealer today as I was getting a new stratapore oil filter I strolled over to the oil shelf and checked out the label on the valvolene premium blue. That API services circle on the back of the jug was CI-4plus.

Since I had my new filter and was due for an oil change I grabbed three one gallon jugs at $14.21/gal. and out I went, after paying of course. Which is better, who knows, all I know is that it will work for what I am using it for. I just got tired of looking at every wal-mart, farm supply, ect. for dino 15-40rotella WITHOUT the triple protection sticker.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:52 PM

I MUST have missed something.

What is the matter with the "Triple protection" Sticker on the Rotella oil?

OT, but what is the absolute best oil to run in our Cummins engines?

I thought Rotella, but after your post, I second guess myself.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:10 PM

Nothing wrong with the triple protection sticker on the jug. It's just that all the rotella oil that I have found with that emblem is the newer CJ-4 base stock. From what I understand from the oil thread I saw on this forum that CJ-4 was less desireable for older CTD than the CI-4 oil for extended oil change intervales.

Which oil is better? Who knows.. Honestly, after I read that thread I was more confused.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by ric o'shea
Nothing wrong with the triple protection sticker on the jug. It's just that all the rotella oil that I have found with that emblem is the newer CJ-4 base stock. From what I understand from the oil thread I saw on this forum that CJ-4 was less desireable for older CTD than the CI-4 oil for extended oil change intervales.

Which oil is better? Who knows.. Honestly, after I read that thread I was more confused.
When you say "Extended", do you mean 7500 miles Schedule "B", or ??

I dunno, man, if I was looking for an "Extended oil change" I'd go with Amsoil... Pretty sure it'll meet your requirements, just don't know if it'll meet your immediate budget..
Old 11-28-2007, 07:57 PM

10,000 miles between changes. Amsoil V twin 20w-50 is what I use in my harley engine and primary case. I really like it and got a 20* drop in temp after I switched from dino oil. Thought about putting it in my truck, but since I have over 200,000 miles and have had people tell me that they started getting small oil leaks after they switched to synthetic oil in higher milage engines.

I have been using rotella for years in all my diesels without any problems. I didnt even notice the change in base stock until I read it here. Bought it by the case or 2.5 gal jugs. After I read about the change I went to the garage and found some old jugs labeled CI-4.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:09 PM

I run Vavoline blue. After looking around and having always ran either semi or full synthetic vavoline oils in all my trucks and cars, it made me smile to see the big "C" on the back of it!
Old 11-28-2007, 09:19 PM
Banned

Is the Premium the synthetic version?

I bought some dino Valvoline not long ago, it was $9 a gallon.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Synthetic Rotella 5-40 is $16/gallon.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Deezel Nate

I bought some dino Valvoline not long ago, it was $9 a gallon.
i dont think so. the extreme or something like that is the synthetic one. and i think its a blend at that?

brett
Old 11-28-2007, 09:44 PM

No, premium blue#VV70509 is not synthetic.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:40 PM

I wouldn't pay $15/gallon for dino Valvoline.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:49 AM

Yea, it's probably a good bit cheaper at an auto zone, or advance auto parts. But I was kinda in a bit of a hurry. I wanted to get home and get the oil changed before I got hooked up(suckered into) hauling the bob cat from one job site to the next one. Probably could of saved $15.00 or so.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:32 AM

^Tru, but what I meant was I'd rather just stick to the good 'ole Rotella at $9/gallon. Now if I were paying more for synthetic that's a different story.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:38 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by surfram
Synthetic Rotella 5-40 is $16/gallon.
That is what I just switched over to. I mean, it's more expensive, so it has to be better, right?
Old 11-29-2007, 07:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am getting slightly better MPG and cold starts are easier with 5-40 synthetic rotella.

Quick Reply: Switched: Rotella to Vavoline