General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Stacks Legal in Calif?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stacks Legal in Calif?

I am being transfered to Calif and need to know if stacks are legal there before I do the mod.
Thanks
Old 04-03-2006, 11:58 AM

Welcome to the DTR! Where are you being transfered too?

I've been running them for about 2 months now with no problems. There are some other guys in the area running them. I've put down some smoke in front of some cops and haven't had any issues.

Tye
Old 04-03-2006, 12:27 PM

I have had mine on for 2-3 weeks,driven next to police and been seen by CHP but so far nothing has been said. But they may not know what they are seeing because mine are black...They may not realize that they are stacks. What I do when I am around them...I keep my foot out of it so that it dont smoke.
Check my gallery and you will see what I mean. I have had people not even notice that I have stacks..

Rick
Old 04-03-2006, 12:35 PM

It's not technically legal in Ca. but I think that it depends on where you are going. Most cops don't care and they have better things to do. But theres always the possibility that you will run into a Barney Fife cop that drops his donut in his coffee when you blast by..... if he's got nothing better to do he'll nail you. Especially if his wife ran off with a trucker.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:51 PM

you will most likely get more complaints from the base cops than the local cops . but will be fine as long as you dont smoke them out when rolling threw the gate i know alot of guys with stacks out here in cali and few that have had anything said to them . the one that i can remember that had any thing said to him was cause when he came threw the gate he forgot to turn down his comp . it was still on 5x5 and he smoked out the gaurd at the gate .
Old 04-03-2006, 01:53 PM

i had my stack on for about a year when i was stationed out there no problems and no smogtest either diesels are exempt!!!
Old 04-03-2006, 02:11 PM

nothing is legal in cali. And if it is it won't be for long. Unless the hippies have a say. Legal pot but no salmon fishing. This world is a crazy place.

this post is in no way political just rediculous.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Buckshotmckee
Welcome to the DTR! Where are you being transfered too?

I've been running them for about 2 months now with no problems. There are some other guys in the area running them. I've put down some smoke in front of some cops and haven't had any issues.

Tye
Thanks, I will be transfering to good ole Barstow, Ca. I love the desert, Guess I am a desert rat. You know how the Marine Corps is we go from one extreme to another, right now I live in a swamp! Time to dry out and head back west. The only good thing about N.C. is it is cheaper to live here than Cali.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by rharveysr
I have had mine on for 2-3 weeks,driven next to police and been seen by CHP but so far nothing has been said. But they may not know what they are seeing because mine are black...They may not realize that they are stacks. What I do when I am around them...I keep my foot out of it so that it dont smoke.
Check my gallery and you will see what I mean. I have had people not even notice that I have stacks..

Rick
Looks Good, I will keep that in mind if I decide to commit to this. I am still not to sure about cutting a hole in my bed. Guess I will have to eventually though since I am going to trade my travel trailer for a fifth wheel.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by spunbearing
It's not technically legal in Ca. ....
Yep, any alteration not allowed.
Also stacks with exits below 14' must either be straight up or curved back.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:26 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
What does the law say about out of state vehicles? Mine has straight pipe. That is muffler is replaced with a straight pipe.

Edwin
Old 04-04-2006, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by edwinsmith
What does the law say about out of state vehicles? Mine has straight pipe. That is muffler is replaced with a straight pipe.

Edwin
Technically, any state can nail you for alterations that are not carb/epa certified. Defining a removed muffler is a grey area in some people's mind. Yes, a turbo qualifies as exhaust silencer, but it arrives OEM with a (secondary) muffler and removal is against most laws.
ANY vehicle licensed in CA is required to meet emissions laws for that year.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:49 PM

Depends on the state I think. Texas allows straight pipes. California doesn't. If you look at your owners manual it says something about modifying the noise control equipment on the truck is not legal blah blah blah. Theres several straight piped trucks in my town and nobody seems to get pulled over.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by spunbearing
Theres several straight piped trucks in my town and nobody seems to get pulled over.
I've been ticketed!
Old 04-04-2006, 11:22 PM

Technically in every state its illegal to modify the emissions and noise control systems of a vehicle.

whether or not they do anything about it......

Quick Reply: Stacks Legal in Calif?