General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

snow

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
snow

ahhhhh. the old diesel plowed through 25 inchs of mother natures finast. love my cummins. woohoo ;D<br>could of made plenty of dough yanking out ferds. na, let um shovel
Old 02-18-2003, 08:42 AM

Re:snow

You bet! I drove from southern New Jersey to Massachusetts Sunday evening in blizzard conditions. My family thought I was crazy and wanted me commited on the spot. But I didn't want to get stranded in NJ, so I left anyway. I was abolutely amazed with the power and handling of the truck. Cars were everywhere on the NJ Turnpike; off the road and in ditches; even spinning out right in front of us. We just kept going, 40 mph in 4 Hi, the wife saying the Rosary the whole time. Punched thru the storm by Connecticut and was clear sailing the rest of the way. The weight of front really helps the 4 wheel drive bite. The wife gets a 4x4 diesel Liberty next year, my mind is made up. I used to know a fella that would drop a concrete lid to a burial vault in the bed each winter. That thing would groan, but it got thru just about anything.
Old 02-18-2003, 06:58 PM

This '03 of mine is the best vehicle I've ever had in the snow. Blasts right through the slush on the highway without a wiggle. Punches through snow drifts no problem. There were multiple times today that I had to pass by cars coming the other way on single-lane-plowed back roads and, being the truck, I had to push through the deep plowed snow on the sides. It didn't miss a beat, didn't slip and slide, and was completely controllable the whole way. I was totally impressed.
Old 02-18-2003, 07:50 PM

I find it funny with the east coast getting 12 to 36 inches of snow. In the midwest, we get that two times a year (plus the 3 to 6 inch snows every week or so) and the roads are clear the next day. If you don't get at least 18 inches and windy conditions schools are in session.<br><br>I'm glad you guys got to have fun like we do all winter long. Saturday, I pulled my trailer out of a 3 ft snow drift and said what drift. 4X4 only has to pay for itself once! ;D ;D
Old 02-19-2003, 05:01 PM

That's the difference between the deep snows in the west and midwest vs the not-so-deep snows in the east: yours are light and powdery and stay that way because the weather stays very cold; ours are heavy, often come right after and/or right before freezing rain, and do a bunch of freeze/thaw cycles before they're gone. That's what makes it treacherous for us and makes 12&quot; of snow seem like a lot. I've driven in both and I'd much much rather have a few feet of light stuff than a foot of heavy stuff on top of a frozen road.<br><br>I'm just glad we finally got a snow woth talking about. I love this stuff.
Old 02-19-2003, 05:12 PM

I agree. I was driving through 4foot drifts of the light stuff with no trouble. Monday I was driving through 1 foot of wet snow and thought that anymore and I'd be in trouble. I also booted my friend out of my truck and forced him to take pictures ;D got some cool ones. There all 1.5megs or so though. If I ever break out the old photshop cd ill scale them down and post some.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:36 PM

[quote author=Srigs link=board=8;threadid=11101;start=0#106243 date=1045619406]
I find it funny with the east coast getting 12 to 36 inches of snow. In the midwest, we get that two times a year (plus the 3 to 6 inch snows every week or so) and the roads are clear the next day. If you don't get at least 18 inches and windy conditions schools are in session................

[/quote]

I should be out by...oh....late May, early June..... :...'course...this is the east coast.... :P ;D

Old 02-20-2003, 01:56 PM

Ha ha thats what it looks like at my house, i have a snowbank on the side of my driveway that's almost as tall as my lampost ;D Getting warm though 50 here today and the stuff is melting fast maybe we will see the ground by June