General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Sneak peek at Toyota 1-ton pick up

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 12:59 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Sneak peek at Toyota 1-ton pick up

I believe this truck was used for some testing (by the looks of it). It isn't a diesel but I bet it could be retro-fitted.

http://www.smccd.net/accounts/purcha...tem.asp?ID=136
Old 06-01-2006, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Original Junior
I believe this truck was used for some testing (by the looks of it). It isn't a diesel but I bet it could be retro-fitted.

I've had one of these, bought it here in Canada. It had a diesel, I think it was a 2.5 litre, 4-cyl. Got the most amazing fuel mileage. It had started out as a 1/2 ton, the previous owner got a kit from somewhere to bump it up to a 1-ton. I work in construction, it would carry an unbelievable amount of material with little back end sag. That was the "pro" of the truck, now here's the "con":

- rusted like you wouldn't believe
- noisy, my hearing is still bad from it :-)
- ugly, so the girlfriend left me
- underpowered, some hills here in B.C. had to be climbed in 2nd gear
- not a high top speed, maybe 110 km on the flat
- pretty spartan interior, seat not comfortable for long drives

I've had Toyotas before and after this model, always liked them for their durability. They've conquered the rust problems, definitely worked on interior comfort. I have a Dodge 2003 now, bought it because I got the Dodge 0% down, 0% financing for 4 years - walked out of the dealership without paying a cent. Toyota didn't offer that then, still doesn't now. I've had problems with the truck, some covered by warranty, some out of my pocket cost, pretty happy overall with it.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:07 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by timmers
I have a Dodge 2003 now.

...and your girlfriend came back??
Old 06-01-2006, 10:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
that made me laugh out loud at work!! haha - thanks

she might weigh 1 ton.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:12 AM

How are they going to make a 5 inch exhaust system for it that doesn't drag on the ground............................................ ....................

HHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Old 06-01-2006, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by ***700
How are they going to make a 5 inch exhaust system for it that doesn't drag on the ground............................................ ....................

HHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

right out the hood
Old 06-02-2006, 03:21 PM
Banned

Whats your point?????

Toyota truck's are some of the hardest working longest lasting trucks. Think about it, how many other brand truck that age do you see still in service. I've had 4 toyota trucks and never had any major problems, the're like a tank. Have you seen the explosion in Toyota 4X4's in rock crawling, and racing. There componets are so strong even in stock form. They have been building diesels over seas for many years. Send me back to the 80's and I would buy a Toyota 4X4 in a heartbeat, and you guys can have a 80's Dodge haha X5

I dont get some of you guys sometime, like "haha look at this puney little toyota, my dodge will squash you !!!!"

Go back to the 80's
Old 06-02-2006, 04:08 PM

As far as I know, time travel hasn't been invented yet. I think I'll stick with Dodge.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:10 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
The 80's TOYOTAs would run forever.
You just had to change the bodies every 3,000 miles because of the rust.

HMMMM,....One Ton?...is that Payload or Curb Weight?.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:35 PM

AWESOME! That's the body style I was hoping they'd use. I'll be first in line
Old 06-02-2006, 05:38 PM

A buddy of mine here at work has one exactly like that except blue. He has been driving that thing since new and has 24,000 miles on it. Tough as nails and still on the first body. There are a couple of spots of rust but not allot. I would take an older or newer Toyota over a Dakota anyday. The Toy's run forever and take the abuse that no other truck could imagin (In there class of course)
Old 06-02-2006, 06:11 PM

Curb weight. With a full tank and a cooler of beer in the back.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Shovelhead

Are we talking the GIRLFRIEND or the truck!

Big Bad Jimmy
Old 06-02-2006, 10:49 PM

I have owned many Toyota's and I have owned two dodge's, first was a 95 3500 4x4 gas burner which it burned in excess (POS) I finally found a sucker to buy it and bought another Toyota I sold it and bought my 98 only because it has a 12v I have had more problems with this truck than all the 8 Toyota's I have owned Yea nothing out pulls a Cummins but nothing outlast's a Toyota
Old 06-02-2006, 11:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Original Junior

Dude, those trucks are awesome little vehicles. I know of one that is a company vehicle; it has "1-ton" badges on it and is an ex-Gas-Company truck.

The interior is non-existent, and the body has some bad rust, but it has a little R-22 in it with a 4 speed automatic with overdrive, and it is quicker than snot! For a little beat-to-heck work truck with bulletproof reliability, it runs like a raped ape. And the chassis is nothing to sneeze at either; it doesn't look like it'd be good for much, but I weigh 170 pounds (I'm a big man ) and I can jump up and down on that tailgate all I want and the bed doesn't even budge. With my truck I can pick up a corner and shake the entire body, but that Toyota is so rigid it's about five times harder to shake than the Dodge. And yet the thing still rides smooth. Brakes are solider than the Dodge too. I wouldn't hesitate putting at least a ton in the back of the thing.

Not that I'd trade my Dodge for one, but I definitely wouldn't mind a little Toyota.

Quick Reply: Sneak peek at Toyota 1-ton pick up