General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Pulled out a motorhome today

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After reading these posts I went out and bought a 25000 lb. tow strap. I want to have some fun too. The only thing I have pulled out so far is the bro-in-laws DMax dually (picture in gallery) but that was with his strap. I needed one of my own. I going to wait for some more snow and go trolling for a "catch" - the bigger the better.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:35 PM

Good. You always need a good strap/chain for pulling things. When you have a truck this big, and powerful, why not drag sometihing around when you get the chance. I wish i had a picture of my truck pulling it out. That motohome was a hoss. I love pulling stuff . Also, my automatic when in 4 low is STOUT. I know with a stick you can idle around in 4 low and pull whatever, but when i get to about 1500 rpm's the converter starts to grab good, and i get some boost, and it was absolutley NO problem for me to spin the tires on blacktop in 4 low. It would have lit them right up, had i wanted it to . I love pulling things, and hauling loads

Eric

Also, you should have went ahead and had a tug o war with that D-Max since you was already hooked up
Old 02-09-2005, 09:37 PM

Dont forget your camera!.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:37 PM

Gee, I wish I had a 4x4, mine can't get out of its own way, until it hits pavement that is.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:26 PM
Banned

Back in 1998 I bought a new 98 Chevy dually and we took it out for the 4th of July fireworks, well afterwards it was a big traffic jam leaving noone could go anywhere. Then an ambulance was trying to get through so he hopped the curb and drove on the side of the feild untill some trees got in the way, so then he gently eased the front wheels off the curb and then the rear except the back of the box dug into the ground.
Several people got out and tryed to push the stuck ambulance but it was burried.
I asked the driver if he would like for me to use my chain and yank it out, he replies "No"
People were still trying to push it and it would not budge.
I told the driver once more, "I have chain and can free him NOW" so he says "ok"
I get out the chain and hook to my tow hooks and then look for something solid on that Ford, but all I could find was the sway bar anyhow I freed the ambulance (RUFF-RUFF) and there was a cheer and applaud from the many people that were stuck in traffic watching this.

But I bet I bent the heck out of that sway bar!

P.S. There WAS a patient in the rear!
Old 02-10-2005, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by cumminsdriver635

Also, you should have went ahead and had a tug o war with that D-Max since you was already hooked up
Now you tell me!!!

I did hear him yelling for me to stop. I couldn't feel him on the end of the line and I just kept pulling him through the mud after he was free. That's what he gets for getting stuck!
Old 02-10-2005, 09:27 PM

They have so much torque in 4 low it aint funny. Thats what i love about diesels. TORQUE mosters, and especially the Cummins

Eric
Old 02-12-2005, 11:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eric,

You and i shared the same passion for pulling stuff, people, and dragging random inanimate objects, in my case the disk harrow for the arena.. you my friend have been missing out though. I assure you and im sure ill be hated for this, You have never really pulled until you have 4.10 gears, 4x4, and a manual tranny. My ferd did have this and even with the limited slips once they locked HOLY COW!!! and it didnt have half the torque my dodge has... My dodge on the other hand.. is a pulling machine.. im acutally afraid at times cause i dont feel anything behind me after a certain speed... or when yankin objects.... its so much torque its scary.. and all you are doing is literally putt putting along at low speed... ahh now that is Im sure your truck is a pulling monster.. i dont doubt it for a second oh wait.. its a cummins, of coarse it is....

Oh yeah for just such an emergency. my towing arsenal includes. two 14 foot truckers chains with hooks on the end, a clevis on a reciever, a dual purpose two inch ball pintle combination, a receiver with a 1 7/8 ball (who uses those anyways? ) a reciever with a 2 5/16 ball, a tow strap (brand new still in package waiting to be baptized ) and a smaller 1/4 inch chain of about 25 foot in legnth, several locks with keys, and finally, a big bucket in my tool box to put all my chains in... I do extract and i do charge too.. cept if its a friend that is.. and since ive had that arsenal ive had no trouble..

TxDiesel007
Old 02-12-2005, 12:05 PM

This is the exact reason I just bought TWO! 3x30 ft 30K lbs straps!

I bought two.....one for my CTD, and one for my 'ol 79 K20.

Can't wait till warmer weather gets here I wanna go out and wheel, and I want my buddies to too so they have to call me to come pull 'em out!
Old 02-12-2005, 12:12 PM

Where'd you get the straps. 3x30, 30,000# is good. Chains are scary.... just duck when they break.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by njoverkill
Where'd you get the straps. 3x30, 30,000# is good. Chains are scary.... just duck when they break.
4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers!

They were "ADVERTISING" Pro Comp straps for $29.99 + few $$ handling + (optional) $3 lifetime warrenty on the strap.

When the first box arrived it was a yellow generic!! Called back explained...had to go threw 2 operators....finally got another strap on the way free.....YELLOW NOT PRO COMP!

My cousin also ordered the strap 4 days after me, his 1st was yellow and so was his free replacement. I really don't care for 4WPW.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:27 PM

TxDiesel007: Who needs a manny and 4:10's? Obviously you have never been in an automatic dodge properly equipped with a Mystery Switch . Also, i love my 3:55's. 4:10's are to low for me. Your wound out at 60mph. I tell you what. Even with the unneficient stock converter, in 4 low, you cant tell it. 1500rpm's on blacktop, and you are burning all 4 tires in 4 low, even with 3:55's. I figured id need more throttle, but soon as the trubo lights up to a nice 10lbs of boost or so, something is going to happen

Eric
Old 02-13-2005, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by Got Smoke?
4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers!

They were "ADVERTISING" Pro Comp straps for $29.99 + few $$ handling + (optional) $3 lifetime warrenty on the strap.

When the first box arrived it was a yellow generic!! Called back explained...had to go threw 2 operators....finally got another strap on the way free.....YELLOW NOT PRO COMP!

My cousin also ordered the strap 4 days after me, his 1st was yellow and so was his free replacement. I really don't care for 4WPW.
Mark I went to look on there myself -- that is some sneaky advertising. Post pictures of Pro Comp straps but don't actually say "PRO COMP" on the "add to cart" -- kinda lame. Either way $25-$30 is still a decent deal. The brand name ones are pretty expensive and I usually end up fraying them on a rock or something.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Erik... i see your point, that converter lock up must be wonderful in your eyes, dunno ive always liked the power to the ground feel of a manny, then again its all ive ever had, and pulled with so you are right, i do not know any better in an automatic... 10 lbs of boost? with an auto.. yup, its either gonna fly outta the mudhole, yank out what you got behind you, snap a u joint or two, or bury your wheels trying, I have those 3.54 or 5 gears, whatever they are, and i love the mileage that they give me, and with so much torque like that, it will overcome the crappy components anyways, either that or break them... guess id need a ride in ur rig, as you would in mine... either ways great minds think alike, which is why we got stuff in common...

TxDiesel007
Old 02-13-2005, 04:36 PM

i had to babtize a new towrope today actally but its no good story, , and i even pulled another dodge/cummins. mother left hers in the garage and left some lights on, it was dead, and an uphill ( sorta kinda) push. so i said screw that and pulled it out, nothing fun. but was fun haha.

Quick Reply: Pulled out a motorhome today